ADVERTISEMENT

OL for next season

BamaCardACC

One-Star Poster
Jan 24, 2013
Looks like we have the OT covered. Anyone know who can fill the OG spot, or depth at this position?

Looks to me like the depth chart leaders as we begin pre spring football conditioning drills are:

Tackles: Aaron Epps- r-SR, Kelby Johnson-SR
Guards: Pedro Sibiea-r-JR, Skylar Lacy-r-SO
Center: Tobijah Hughley-r-JR

Backups:

-----------
62 T.C. Klusman 6-3 276 OL r-JR

68 Danny Burns 6-6 339 OL r-FR

69 Jimmie Terry 6-4 350 OL r-FR

72 Lukayus McNeil 6-6 278 OL r-FR
(mid-year signee) Khalil Hunter 6-4 300 JR-JC

(walk-on) 65 David Noltemeyer 6-4 302 OL r-SR

And currently we have verbals from three high schoolers who will join the team this summer:
Geron Christian 6-4, 305
Chandler Jones 6-3, 304
Kenny Thomas 6-6, 315

I expect to see at least one more commitment on the OL, perhaps two.

Does anyone care to give a report card on Hughley at the center position? Quite frankly, I was not really impressed but I guess I was comparing him to our past centers. Not hating, just wanted to see if he's already got the job or if there is someone behind the scenes that might challenge him.

Originally posted by nccardfan:

Does anyone care to give a report card on Hughley at the center position? Quite frankly, I was not really impressed but I guess I was comparing him to our past centers. Not hating, just wanted to see if he's already got the job or if there is someone behind the scenes that might challenge him.
Be kind of hard to respond to unless you can be more specific about your concerns?

There were very few gaffes in our snaps (that I can recall) and that is what you want.

Obviously, our OL play in 2014 was decent but it was also one of the things separating us from being a truly elite team right now. Why that was is open for speculation but seriously doubt it was only about Hughley.

Centers have blocking assignments as well. Right? Just sayin.
3dgrin.r191677.gif

This post was edited on 1/8 7:15 PM by WKCard

The OL is going to be interesting and hopefully very competitive. I think Epps is the one guy we will see for sure on the line as starter. After that I think it's wide open. Kelby Johnson should compete for a spot. If a guy like Wariboko switches to us he could come in and start at OG as a Fr. I wouldn't be surprised if a FR starts on the line and if we wind up with a new starting center.

I know my memory is shot, but did we not just get a JUCO OL or two?

Or did I dream it?
confused0024.r191677.gif

Khalil Hunter is the JC OL we signed. He will be here next week, and should compete for a starting spot right away.

Hughley had some problems blocking at times. I seem to remember quite a few 'whiffs' he had this year. I believe the center position is one that should really be open to competition this spring. I truly hope our O-Line improves next season.

Don't know if it was because of Hughley's smaller size, or what, but he got knocked into the backfield a lot. A QB sneak was almost out of the question.

All spots on the O line are open for competition. Yes, we could never run a sneak this past year. I always forgot whenever the Cards got into those situations and had to remind myself.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT