ADVERTISEMENT

Okay Cards, would you consider Charlie Strong as an assistant DC

beasleythecard

Four-Star Poster
Jan 7, 2007
louisville
News of Charlie Strong being out at Texas has the interwebs on fire, and it seems to be truth to the news that he is a lame duck at Texas.

Would you consider Charlie being hired on Bobby's staff as an assistant DC, and recruiting coordinator?

Do you think he would humble his self and accept a position like other former head coaches have done for Saban at Alabama?

Curious to know your thoughts.......

I don't think he would be an assistant DC here. DC .......... maybe if Grantham leaves.

He won't get a big time HC gig. If he wants to stay HC it will be at a weak P-5 school or one of the non P-5 schools.

If he's willing to be a DC, I could see him at a major school knocking down some serious $$. Kinda like Schiano is doing at Ohio State right now.

Depending on what happens at LSU with Orgeron, I could see that being a prime spot for him as DC next season.

If Grantham should happen to leave, I'd love to have him back as DC.

IMO, Coach Strong will never be an assistant coach again unless it's in the NFL, and I would be surprised if he chose that career path. He is a head coach with head coaching experience.

The decision makers in Austin, Texas need to give him more than 3 years to prove his worth and the 4 and 5 star talent on that roster needs to buy in or get out. We all know Bedford is a good DC. At some point you have to look at the players themselves. They are rich in talent, but they seem to have issues with listening. It seems to me some kids on that roster (not all) are hard headed and think they know more than the coaches. They need some serious attitude adjustments IMO.

True, but attitude adjustments and performance is a direct result of the coaching. Look at what Petrino and Grantham are doing with mostly 3 stars and occasional 4 star recruits.

Look at what Charlie did here with 3 and 4 stars.

The odd thing about Texas is that they seem to have fixed their offense, and offense was always Charlies problem here. How many low scoring affairs did we grumble through? I remember a 17-10 win over Memphis and our defense scored a touchdown. You're talking 10 points on offense with Bridgewater and DeVante Parker on the field all game.

Defense is where Strong made his name. When he got to Texas, the offense couldn't do anything. Offense is putting up points now, but the defense is a seive.

Reactions: wilkie01
News of Charlie Strong being out at Texas has the interwebs on fire, and it seems to be truth to the news that he is a lame duck at Texas.

Would you consider Charlie being hired on Bobby's staff as an assistant DC, and recruiting coordinator?

Do you think he would humble his self and accept a position like other former head coaches have done for Saban at Alabama?

Curious to know your thoughts.......

Not immediately, no. Let him serve in coaching purgatory at some non destination gig, then when he gets fired from there, sure, bring him back on board in some assistant capacity.

True, but attitude adjustments and performance is a direct result of the coaching. Look at what Petrino and Grantham are doing with mostly 3 stars and occasional 4 star recruits.

The odd thing about Texas is that they seem to have fixed their offense, and offense was always Charlies problem here. How many low scoring affairs did we grumble through? I remember a 17-10 win over Memphis and our defense scored a touchdown. You're talking 10 points on offense with Bridgewater and DeVante Parker on the field all game.

Defense is where Strong made his name. When he got to Texas, the offense couldn't do anything. Offense is putting up points now, but the defense is a seive.
I know what you mean. It's weird watching a Coach Strong coached team giving up close to 50 points a game on average. Never thought I would see that happen. Ever.

Bedford is his new scapegoat while he tries to save his head coaching job. Hopefully CCS gets Texas on a winning streak or they'll all be joining the unemployment line before 2017 rolls around.

He may not be able to hold a HC job at an FBS school if his buy out restricts it.
He may have to follow his former DL coach (The big Hurt) to the NFL for a couple years.

He's not going to be a co-assistant here.

I think he will end up being a DC for one of the SEC schools that will be making changes, maybe LSU, maybe Auburn. It's a carousel and he'll get a ride but not here.

So Strong waited 22 years as an assistant to be a HC for 7 years , only to
go back to being an assistant?

Dont see it unless its the NFL for a yr or two so he can be a college HC again.

So Strong waited 22 years as an assistant to be a HC for 7 years , only to
go back to being an assistant?

Dont see it unless its the NFL for a yr or two so he can be a college HC again.

Kerry many coaches return to being an assistant for a year or two, or more..after getting fired from a HC job.

I don't think anyone is implying he will never be a HC again. It just makes sense that he would rather take a top assistant job as opposed to taking a crappy HC job.

Kerry many coaches return to being an assistant for a year or two, or more..after getting fired from a HC job.

I don't think anyone is implying he will never be a HC again. It just makes sense that he would rather take a top assistant job as opposed to taking a crappy HC job.

I know.

Weiss, half of Alabama's staff.

I think it depends on what path Charlie wants to take. If he wants to be a HC, there will always be jobs in C-USA, the MAC, and those Mountain timezone teams. And maybe he could catch on at one of the lowly P5 schools like Purdue. There's no way he gets another shot at a top job at this time. Beyond that, he can get a DC job at a top school and that's probably the best route for him.

Would take Charlie back here in any role that he and the athletic department/football program would want to have him in.

My thought is that he would be fantastic as the head coach at Florida International University.

Reactions: beasleythecard

Im not sure if they "fixed" their offense. Their defense is so bad that the offense has no choice but to put up 40+ or get blown off the field. Part of CCS problem is special teams. Special teams were atrocious to say the least while he was here and have been bad at Texas as well. I hope he gets another crack at a big time school but I doubt it. Would love to have him if anything were to happen to CTG.

Everyone keep in mind that Will Muschamp got another head coaching job (at a school that actually cares about football).

It's not like Muschamp went from a team with multiple championships to another team with multiple championships. He took a step down. So will Strong.

Reactions: American Male
It's not like Muschamp went from a team with multiple championships to another team with multiple championships. He took a step down. So will Strong.
He took a step down to Auburn as assistant of some sort, and now is the head coach at South Carolina. Good point.

I wish no ill will towards coach Strong. I hope he turns things around in Austin and does enough winning to keep his job there. I'm content as a UofL football fan to have coach Petrino leading our program. Sure he made some personal mistakes in the past, but who hasn't? Nobody is perfect, and the most important thing for all of us to remember is his wife and family have forgiven him for his mistakes. if they can, surely we can as fans.

Back on topic. IF coach Strong wanted to come back to UofL in some capacity, I'm sure coach Petrino and Jurich would be open to the idea. He is a good coach and the kids love him. I would be good with it.

Strong is not coming back here as an assistant - that's crazy talk, his ego would never allow for it. As was posted on here many times, it was easy to see that the Texas job would be a bad fit for him but the timetable got moved up when LSU forced Texas' hand in the Tom Hermann sweepstakes. My guess is Strong sits out a year rather than jumping back into any assistant job, and waits for a lower level HC gig. You gotta believe that South Florida would love to have him if Taggart moves on.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT