ADVERTISEMENT

OK. Let’s Discuss It. Governors Cup Thread.

EKYCard643

6000+
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2016
twitter.com
Just gonna go ahead and get a thread going.

I’ve watched UK more than I care to admit this year. Levis is HUGELY overrated. If I’m being blunt he’s being promoted as this elite QB because he’s white, he’s big, he’s muscular and he’s got a big arm. It has nothing to do with intangibles, his lack of touch on short/intermediate throws and his tendency to throw interceptions (he’s thrown 23 picks in 23 career games at UK) but he can make you pay from time to time. UKs OLine performed pretty good against UGA but normally they’re trash. Levis doesn’t help them out by holding onto the ball too long and he seems to have totally stopped running likely out of fear getting hurt.

Barion Brown is a problem. So is Dane Key but for different reasons than Brown. Key is a solid downfield threat and Brown is a very good WR but also a very good gadget WR. Levis is good enough to avoid our pressure and get them ball in space. I don’t think we can have a “pin their ears back” mentality in this game just because their OLine suspect.

Then they’re Chris Rodriguez. We’ve faced good RBs a number of times this season and he may be the best one. UKs offense has been shit all year. BUT this is UofL and really this OC has nothing to lose because he’s probably going to be fired after the season anyway so I do think there will be a number wrinkles that we haven’t seen all season. I’d wager there will be a long scoring play or two from UK. What UofL has to do is answer. Sustain drives and allow our defense rest in order to do what they do. I think Levis will give us something. It may not be a pick 6 but this defense is going to force a short field.

Special Teams. BRING EVERYTHING ON SPECIAL TEAMS. Satt better be hammering Special Teams play because UK quiet literally may have the worst special teams unit I’ve ever seen. There’s a golden opportunity to force a turnover, blocked kick/punt or something.

I’m skeptical even with as bad as Malik has played against UK that we go into Lexington with a QB as limited as Brock and pull off a win against a really good defense in a rivalry game that our program clearly has mental hurdles to clear as well. If we have Evan’s healthy and can open running lanes and deploy a trio of RBs? I like our chances a little more. NC State was a good warm up but UKs offense (even as shitty as it is statistically) is light years better than what NC State had on the field on Saturday.

I dunno. I’m going to wait and see who UK has injured. They have a starting OLinemen potentially out, Deandre Square, and the VT WR Robinson all may play in the game. Square and Robinson would be big boosts IMO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News