ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio State to sell beer stadium-wide at Ohio Stadium during 2016 football season

Feb 19, 2003
Well...Ohio State is joining the parade...

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State will begin selling beer stadium-wide at Buckeyes home football games during the 2016 season, the university announced on Wednesday.

This is an extension of a pilot program started last year, when alcohol was available for purchase by fans in the suite and club levels of Ohio Stadium.

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith told cleveland.com before last season that this could be a possiblity, but that the university wanted to study the impact of alcohol sales at football games more closely before it was fully implemented.

"I don't know if it's coming, but we're going to keep studying it, probably at a more intense level than I've studied it in the past," Smith said last August. "We have to look at it harder."

Ohio State has sold alcohol in club seats at men's and women's basketball games and hockey games at the Schottenstein Center since that venue opened in 1998.

The revenue from beer sales this football season will help fund two new full-time positions in the Ohio State police department, at a cost of $300,000.

Ohio State joins universities across the country -- like Texas, West Virginia, Minnesota and Louisville -- that sell alcohol at football games.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2016/06/ohio_state_to_star_selling_bee.html

Last edited:
Why don't I trust their fans? Drunks are bad everywhere, but I'm just not sure the tOSU faithful could handle a close loss at home to a scrub conference opponent while they are completely trashed.

Selling alcohol at a game actually cuts down on drunks at a game. You don't have people slamming drinks down pre- game like they do if they know they can't get any inside. And to be honest not many people drink as much at $8 a pop for beers.

I don't know if seat replacement is currently taking place, but when Jurich was asked multiple times if he had plans to replace the seats he would give a uninterested no.

UK fan still taking the high and mighty road while continuing to lose revenue and make their game day experience one for the halves and not for the have nots.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT