ADVERTISEMENT

Official - Grantham to Miss St.

Ok, now it would be a good thing to figure out why this happened. Coaches make lateral moves all the time but hearing how much TG supposedly loved living in Louisville and was one of the highest paid assistants in college football, to move to Stankville Miss and butt heads in the SEC west is a head scratcher to me.

Maybe or maybe not this is related to the complete funk this team fell into after the Wake Forest game.

It would be nice to know going forward.

Reactions: beasleythecard
I am perplexed as to why Todd Grantham would make this move. Louisville didn't finish strong but it's still a better job than Mississippi State. He must be getting a significant pay raise. But to me Dan Mullen has a couple of feet into the Hot Seat already.

This Peter Sirmon is a young guy, only 39. Played in the NFL and has moved up very quickly in his coaching career. Like I said, I don't know if I like this or not, but it happened so let's hope it's for the best.

Mississippi State's defensive rankings from last year under Peter Sirmon.

Total Defense: 108th
Pass Defense: 120th
Run Defense: 68th
Points Allowed per game: 97th
:cool:

I won't judge that too much b/c he was only DC for 1 season and it was his first at that position.

Sirmon brought in 2 Top 10 classes as recruiting coordinator at USC. So there's that.

Last edited:
I won't judge that too much b/c he was only DC for 1 season and it was his first at that position.

Sirmon brought in 2 Top 10 classes as recruiting coordinator at South Carolina. So there's that.
Sounds like Sirmon will be the one focusing on run defense and Lorenzo Ward in charge of the secondary and slowing down the passing game which is his specialty. Maybe a 2 headed approach and both are good recruiters as you mentioned.

Usually when a change occurs teams go in the opposite direction from what they had. Maybe a group approach with limited ego is the answer to Grantham who probably had more control than any assistant ever under Petrino.

Hope it works.

Horrible news. Guy has no recruiting ties to the area and horrible numbers for his defense. CBP may be putting the first nail in his time here. TG leaving may not be totally bad the replacement is. IMO

Reactions: BPGhost
Fearless prediction: The board are really going to over-react when Lamar scores 10 TD's in the Spring Game.
That's hilarious.

I'm just hoping that the defense doesn't completely dominate the Spring Game like they did in Krag's first year and then proceed to give up 60 points a game in the regular season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT