ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame?

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Will people finally admit that team and that program is vastly overrated? Year in and year out it's the same shit with them. Some here on this board said this team was their strongest roster ever.

#5 in the polls was a travesty. Louisville would have to go 9 and 0 and beat three ranked teams to ever get ranked that high. Wonder how far the Irish fall in the polls? Bet they're still in the top 15.

Northern Illinois people. What a joke. It sucks because Louisville kicking their asses won't mean as much now.

I agree with you but I believe this whole year’s preseason rankings have been vastly overblown. Michigan, FSU, Notre Dame, Clemson and Oregon weee all over ranked. I don’t see how a team can lose so much talent on both sides of the ball and the pollsters honestly think there won’t be any drop off.

Yes, I agree but ND has been receiving this kind of adulation for years. I just don't get all the praise Riley Leonard receives going back to his Duke days. He hasn't thrown a TD pass in two games.

When this day started, ND had the best odds to run the table at 22 percent. It's so ridiculous it's hard to comprehend. It boggles the mind.

ND will finish with just enough wins to steal a good bowl away from a more deserving ACC team. Screw them. Kick them out of the league if they won’t go all in. Let them rejoin the Big East.

I agree with you but I believe this whole year’s preseason rankings have been vastly overblown. Michigan, FSU, Notre Dame, Clemson and Oregon weee all over ranked. I don’t see how a team can lose so much talent on both sides of the ball and the pollsters honestly think there won’t be any drop off.
They rank teams on brand and that worked fine up until NIL and the portal came along. They’re better off not doing any ranking until 3 or 4 games into the season.

ND is a cash cow. I read an article dated 2022 showing they had the 2nd largest fanbase in the country.

It’s a brand. The pundits and voters are going to get behind a program that carries this much importance to the landscape.

Being honest about the actual product could work against the best interests of the cash cow process. ‘Merica!

NIU deserves some credit for going into South Bend and winning. ND is not the only team that may not deserve its ranking; Penn State was very fortunate to beat BGU, and Michigan looked bad in their loss to TX. Auburn losing to Cal is another example of parity in college sports.

NIU deserves some credit for going into South Bend and winning. ND is not the only team that may not deserve its ranking; Penn State was very fortunate to beat BGU, and Michigan looked bad in their loss to TX. Auburn losing to Cal is another example of parity in college sports.
Come on now. ND was ranked 5th and was 28 point favorites at home. They scored only 14 points. There's no comparison to Penn State, Michigan or Auburn.

Right now, the Irish should not be ranked in the top 25 but everyone knows they will probably still be in the top 20. It's totally disingenuous to make excuses for them. They don't have a top coach or a top QB or a top RB or a top WR.

They are so far the most overrated and overhyped college football team I think I've ever seen. But, they do have 10 games to turn it around.

And the media experts will still pick ND to beat us on September 28th because we don’t get no respect from them. (except Mark Packer he does)

Before you and others minimize NIU, you might want to see how they finish out.
It's not about NIU. It could have been Coastal Carolina, Tulane or Memphis and it would still be the same thing.

Do you seriously believe NIU is now a threat for the playoffs because they beat ND? That's how you spin the Irish losing as 28 point favorites?

I guess. Whatever gets you through the night.

This year?? Every year. Any ranking before about week 3 or 4 is worthless!

The playoff does address some of the issues but brands will always matter in College Football. They win the recruiting rankings. Which leads to their preseason rankings. That leads to the hype of beating Texas A&M which I thought was a sign. The Northern Illinois game shows they don’t deserve the hype. Next week will be more data. Purdue is 10 dog that line in the preseason was probably 2-3 TD’s.

College football is built to protect the brands. It is a TV production. Brands matter.

The playoff does address some of the issues but brands will always matter in College Football. They win the recruiting rankings. Which leads to their preseason rankings. That leads to the hype of beating Texas A&M which I thought was a sign. The Northern Illinois game shows they don’t deserve the hype. Next week will be more data. Purdue is 10 dog that line in the preseason was probably 2-3 TD’s.

College football is built to protect the brands. It is a TV production. Brands matter.
Very solid analysis Cycle. Exactly the way these things work. If we start winning, and making the ACC Championship Game, and or Playoff we will start getting the respect we deserve. Just Win Baby!!

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Before you and others minimize NIU, you might want to see how they finish out.
When you are Notre Dame, you do not lose to NIU. The talent they have with all of their financial resources and not to mention a massive home field advantage, if you lose to a MAC team it's on your program.

Credit to NIU for winning, but this isn't what is supposed to happen.

AP and coaches poll are just banter, same as this forum. It's fun, its an echo chamber, it stokes Fandom, and that's enough. No hate in any program from this fan...well, UK sucks. The resources and draw for elite players at ND are hardly matched by any program. Poor performance is pretty easy to reduce.

They can’t. This could be interesting if they go 11-1 they aren’t guaranteed a spot because they have no conference affiliation.

I don’t see that happening but I think they maybe forced into a conference. Playoff money may be tough to pass on. Their path will be challenging every year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT