ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame and expansion?

cardstud1

5000+
Gold Member
Jul 23, 2006
I know that expansion with the P5s is not done and ND standing is prickly albeit the ACC. ND being forced to join a P-5 conference (ACC)? The ACC stands now with 14 members and ND is latched on to the tit, but soon to be a full member if what I read is right. ND is the precipitous from which the bell tolls (the event horizon) precariously. In fact ND schedules 5 games per year far better than the 3 games while she was in the "Old BIG EAST" and is matched up better than any other conference. Let the musical chairs begin....! What carrot will be pulled to start the process.....

As long as TV still pays and rivalry games draw enough attention, ND will not join a conference. There is no indication of these diminishing anytime soon.

Notre Dame as a full-fledged member of the ACC would be huge. While the current set-up beats a blank, the Irish should join in football too. Offer them a spot in football in the division opposite the Cards and it's a win-win! That side of the conference football needs added strength and it guarantees ND a spot in the conference championship probably 6-7 times every 10 years.

If I understand correctly, every ACC team plays ND 4 times in 12 years. But the ACC is set up to play every cross division team only 2 times every 12 years. So if that is correct, we play ND more often the way it is set up now than we would if they were in the ACC Coastal.

ACC Rotation

ND - ACC Rotation

If I understand correctly, every ACC team plays ND 4 times in 12 years. But the ACC is set up to play every cross division team only 2 times every 12 years. So if that is correct, we play ND more often the way it is set up now than we would if they were in the ACC Coastal.

ACC Rotation

ND - ACC Rotation

I had no idea the Cards were scheduled to play ND four times between 2019 and 2023 until I read this link. At same time we only play Va. Tech once and do not make any trip to Blacksburg during the period 2014-2024.

ND is currently obligated to play five ACC games each year on a round-robin, home-and-home basis. With 14 FT members of the ACC, that means we play ND five times every 14 years. Or every 28 years, we will play ND five times at home and five times away.

Anyone wanna bet that the situation changes before 28 years elapse? :)

ND will not join any conference until they have no way of getting into the championship playoffs. The real power brokers of the NCAA, the university presidents, seem to have no trouble with ND being a partial independent in football. I hope ND always remains in the ACC as a partial partner. It allows them to play each member of the conference. ND will be playing NC State there for the first time at their stadium. I eagerly look forward to the ND vs Louisville in the near future. I never imagined as a Kentuckian the day ND football would play here in Kentucky. Win or lose, it will be a big day for me. Also, ND football was never a part of the television deal with the Big East Conference. ND did agree to try and play three Big East teams a season if the schedule worked out. It did some years but not others. Here's an interesting story from ESPN on revenue sharing for the 2014-15 year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/92520/acc-tops-400-million-in-revenue-in-2014-15

The work around ND stadium continues at a rapid pace. The look of the stadium has changed a lot since the Cards beat ND in 2014.

mobileimage.php

Last edited:
Reactions: zipp
I like ND exactly where they are. And I like the fact that we get a game with them now and then.

I'd rather have Notre Dame Full Time in a 16 team conference with 4 pods...Eventually (3-5 years), it WILL happen...The only thing left to figure out is WHO'S #16...Connecticut, Cincinnati or Texas...With 4 Pods you play a permanant Cross Pod Rival, and EVERYONE else Every Three Years!!!

IMHO, the Big-12 is the Big East 2.0...Too STUPID to do what NEEDS to be done to survive by ALLOWING certain Team(s)...Texas Schools vs. Basketball Schools...To call ALL the shots!!!

North Pod
Boston College
Notre Dame
Pitt
Syracuse

Central Pod
Cincinnati/Texas
Louisville
Virginia
Virginia Tech

East Pod
Duke
Georgia Tech
Miami
North Carolina

South Pod
Clemson
FSU
N.C. State
Wake

I'd like to play Texas in our Pod every year, and say, Pitt, Miami and Clemson as Cross Pod Rivals EVERY Year...With FSU, Georgia Tech, N.C. State, Notre Dame and UNC EVERY Three Years!!!

UNC would play N.C. State and Virginia as Cross Pod Rivals Every Year...

Clemson would play Georgia Tech and Louisville as Cross Pods Rivals Every Year...

Notre Dame and Texas Would Play as Cross Pod Rivals EVERY Year...

Now, how could ANYONE Complain about those type schedules!?!?!?

:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: real2it and SoulSr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT