ADVERTISEMENT

Not Sure I'm Buying What Dawkins and Others are Saying about 2018

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
Listening to Mark Ennis and others summarize the comments of Seth Dawkins and other players about how bad it was to play under Bobby Petrino just doesn't make sense. The players make it sound like they were completely miserable and had virtually no relationship with Petrino or the position coaches. They talk about verbal abuse by the staff and a feeling that they were constantly looking over their shoulders wondering what bad thing would happen next.

While I'm not saying that these things are not accurate, what doesn't make sense is how the staff was able to recruit classes ranked 31st - 2018, 29th - 2017, 36th - 2016? These are respectable ranked classes for a school like UofL. Actually some of these class rankings would rank as some of the best the program has ever had!

So, I'm supposed to believe that this miserable coach and his abusive/unfriendly staff were able to sell kids a program where there was a toxic relationship with the players? I'm supposed to believe that the players lied to the recruits about how miserable it was to play for Petrino and staff and instead lied to these recruits and sold them on playing for Petrino?

That's what to me makes no sense. If things were as bad/toxic as these players say it was then how could they muster up the desire to want to sell the program to a recruit? Why would they go the extra mile in trying to help land a recruit for the coach they dislike?

Until that can be squared up in my mind, I have to question the accounts of these players and wonder if some of this is revisionist history to cover up their lack of effort and poor attitudes which I think was a contributing factor in the horrible 2018 season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News