ADVERTISEMENT

Nolan Smith

Maybe in the future but I'm not seeing the appeal for Nolan as an HC right now. If things really turn around here or he goes elsewhere as an assistant and has success, maybe then.

Well, we're talking Temple here. They're looking for a young, promising African American head coach. Nolan Smith fits that bill and being a protégé of a Hall of Fame coach doesn't hurt.

Reactions: Mayoman
I just don't know what he's done up to this point that would gain him any consideration as a head coach..

What assistants have ever done enough to get a head coaching job? Did the guys at Arizona, Texas, and Kansas St have any head coaching experience? No they all have been long time assistants. You could make the same argument about Denny. He didn’t do anything other than come from John Wooden. Louisville was a really good program before Denny arrived. They could have easily taken the position to only hire a coach with head coaching experience.

I don’t think they will hire him but at some point he will probably get hired and his resume won’t scream he will work.

What assistants have ever done enough to get a head coaching job? Did the guys at Arizona, Texas, and Kansas St have any head coaching experience? No they all have been long time assistants. You could make the same argument about Denny. He didn’t do anything other than come from John Wooden. Louisville was a really good program before Denny arrived. They could have easily taken the position to only hire a coach with head coaching experience.

I don’t think they will hire him but at some point he will probably get hired and his resume won’t scream he will work.
Totally a weak take.

Some assistant coaches are clearly involved in the games and are up talking to the players on the court, in the huddle and on the bench. They also have a reputation as great recruiters, communicators, and teachers of the game. Some just sit on the bench and watch the games and do whatever the the head coach tells them to do in practice.

It's no different than any other job field, you have some people just happy to have a job and drawing a check, you have others who have their eye on climbing the ladder as high as they can go..

It’s Temple what kind of coach do you think they are going to attract? They are going to have to take a chance on someone like Smith. His resume isn’t going to be that much different than those interested in the job.

I agree with what you are saying but would argue there were more qualified coaches with head coaching experience interested in the Arizona job. However they made a good choice taking someone with less of a resume. You could also argue his tournament flame outs are related to his inexperience as a head coach.

It’s Temple what kind of coach do you think they are going to attract? They are going to have to take a chance on someone like Smith. His resume isn’t going to be that much different than those interested in the job.

I agree with what you are saying but would argue there were more qualified coaches with head coaching experience interested in the Arizona job. However they made a good choice taking someone with less of a resume. You could also argue his tournament flame outs are related to his inexperience as a head coach.
I couldn't even tell you the name of the Arizona coach to be honest so I have no idea what kind of resume he had coming in. Might have been the next big thing on a lot of people's radar or could've been a long shot, I have no idea. I do know Nolan hasn't done anything of note and was an assistant under a head coach that went 4-28.

Temple has a lot of basketball tradition and should be able to attract a decent coach. John Chaney had success there and was there forever..

Hiring any assistant coach for a HC job is a crapshoot. Who better than ourselves to use as an example.

The reason programs do is they’re not of the stature to hire proven head coaches. We were of that stature, but someone brain farted.

This would be a nice break for Nolan since his immediate future is uncertain here…

I think it is becoming more and more common though for the very reasons we have been discussing. It is hard to evaluate coaches. Duke, UNC, Arizona, Michigan, Memphis, Indiana, GT and Syracuse all went the Assistant route or no college head coach experience.

It isn’t surprising places like Temple is considering the same path. They haven’t been the same since Chaney left.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT