ADVERTISEMENT

No More Thursday Night Spring "Winter" Game for UofL?

Sultan__of__Swine

15000+
Gold Member
Aug 12, 2004
ACC Network's push for content could mean a televised future for Virginia Tech's spring game

5cd0eef245de4.image.jpg

MICHAEL SHROYER | Special to The Roanoke Times April 13, 2019 Virginia Tech Hokies defensive back Devon Hunter (7) signs autographs following the Spring Game at Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, Va.

Michael Shroyer

BLACKSBURG — The ACC envisions spring football getting more exposure next spring.

The launch of the ACC Network in the fall has the conference mapping out a content plan for next year that includes a push for more member schools to air their annual spring games.

“The simple answer is yes,” ACC commissioner John Swofford said Monday, when asked if they wanted to air more spring football.

The commissioner spoke with reporters at a regional meeting for the Associated Press Sports Editors organization held at the ACC headquarters in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Virginia Tech was one of six ACC members not to televise its spring game in 2019. It’s been that way since Justin Fuente took over as head coach prior to the start of the 2016 season. Tech’s spring game was broadcast on ESPN3 for the last few years of Frank Beamer’s tenure.

Clemson’s spring game aired on ESPN2 this year. Boston College, Duke, Florida State, Georgia Tech, NC State, North Carolina and Virginia streamed their games on the ACC Network’s digital platforms. Syracuse’s spring game aired on local television.

The ACC has let its members decide whether or not to televise their spring games in the past. According to Swofford, that won’t change — schools won’t be contractually obligated to put the game on the network — but the conference wants to air as many as possible.

“I think most schools will want to have it [televised], ESPN will welcome it,” Swofford said.

Virginia Tech wll not rush to decision, but coach Justin Fuente acknowledged there’s a demand from fans to have the practice televised. Fuente consults with Tech's athletic department about the program's plan for the spring game annually.

maxresdefault.jpg

“I understand the television aspect of it, but I also understand what we have to continue to do for our program and continue to enhance the experience during the spring game,” Fuente said.

The reason? The spring game is an important part of Virginia Tech’s recruiting efforts.

“I think with the level of recruiting that goes on and how recruiting has gotten pushed forward in the calendar, the spring game and the atmosphere and the people there and pomp and circumstance is huge for us,” Fuente said. “The amount of young people that are going to be exposed to Virginia Tech for the first time, it often draws them back for games in the fall for official visits. It’s huge.”

It’s why Fuente has pushed to have the spring game line up on the calendar in recent years with as many other athletic events as possible. This year Virginia Tech softball hosted a doubleheader against Virginia that drew 1,321 fans, while Virginia Tech women's lacrosse had 621 fans on hand for a game against Boston College on senior day.

Tech's spring game was also on the same weekend as the annual Run in Remembrance, which had 14,500 participants.

The Hokies didn't release any attendance figures for the football spring game. The lower bowl was about three-quarters full for the exhibition.

“My focus is making the experience for those people that come to campus that weekend the best we can make it,” Fuente said.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News