ADVERTISEMENT

No Calipari and guess what

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozmas

4000+
Gold Member
Oct 10, 2011
No Calipari and sUcK blows out USC kind of tells you how easy it is to win in that conference. Cal has this terrific coaching record against no name basketball schools. His whole career has been spent in conferences against weak basketball schools.

While coaching in the Atlantic 10 his only competition was Temple. He moves to Memphis and coaches in CUSA and 2 years later Louisville and UCinn leave for the Big East leaving Memphis with no competition. Now he is in the weakest conference of his coaching tenure the SEC. It makes you wonder what his coaching resume would look like if he coached in the ACC, Big10, Big 12 or the old Big East.

Thought the same thing... And had to chuckle a little watching the scroll at the bottom of the U of L game...

"LPT wins big over South Carolina despite Pitino Lite's ejection."

My scroll would have read "due to". Kenny Payne is either a better coach or they don't need one in-game.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Thought the same thing... And had to chuckle a little watching the scroll at the bottom of the U of L game...

"LPT wins big over South Carolina despite Pitino Lite's ejection."

My scroll would have read "due to". Kenny Payne is either a better coach or they don't need one in-game.

When their guards are on, they don't need one. Ulis basically coached that game today, he was calling the plays and initiating everything. Frankly they looked better today than they have all year.

The SEC is better than most think. You have to remember, UK has played plenty of ACC teams in the last few years and they actually fair better than they do in the SEC.

UK is 9-3 in the SEC, 2-0 vs ACC this season.

And in the last 3 years UK struggles more against SEC teams than ACC...and its not close. % wise of course.

The SEC is better than most think. You have to remember, UK has played plenty of ACC teams in the last few years and they actually fair better than they do in the SEC.

And in the last 3 years UK struggles more against SEC teams than ACC...and its not close. % wise of course.
The SEC blows. LMAO@the sec is better than you think. Try playing in a real hoops league. U KAY is a basketball school in a league where not one school gives a crap about basketball

Yeah, the league isn't great. That's no secret. But UK is currently carrying the 28th ranked schedule per KenPom. That's better than many teams in stronger conferences. It's better than Michigan State's, Louisville's, UNC's, Arizona's, Villanova's, etc etc. So yeah, the SEC isn't awesome, but it's not chopped liver either.

Saying Calipari has won against easy competition would be me saying UL football has been lucky to get all their wins playing in weak football conferences.
Do you really want to turn this into a football discussion? You are way out of your league here

Last edited:

I think its the fact that Calipari and Uk struggle- most seasons- against very mediocre SEC teams, especially on the road. Then you have to think how would they fair in a better basketball conference? Would they lose even more road games? Good possibility. Would they actually lose some home games as well against those better teams? Also a good possibility.

I would like to know how Cal and Uk would've faired in the old Big East or the ACC of today. But of course that's a moot point that can't be proven either way so we'll never know.

Down you really want to turn this into a football discussion? You are way out of your league here

^ Agreed. Wrong board anyway, but any UK fan who has the stones to talk any sort of crap about U of L's football program is barking up the wrong tree. You guys are miles ahead of us right now. Credit to coach Strong for cleaning up that one guy's mess. You guys will be playing in NY6 bowls pretty regularly IMO.

Reactions: awf
I think its the fact that Calipari and Uk struggle- most seasons- against very mediocre SEC teams, especially on the road. Then you have to think how would they fair in a better basketball conference? Would they lose even more road games? Good possibility. Would they actually lose some home games as well against those better teams? Also a good possibility.

I would like to know how Cal and Uk would've faired in the old Big East or the ACC of today. But of course that's a moot point that can't be proven either way so we'll never know.

I think regardless of conference, conference games are a PITA. It's a grind, you have familiarity, etc. And yes, in UK's case, you have many teams with zero post season aspirations who can put a feather in their caps by beating Kentucky. Look at last season - we beat UCLA and KU by a hundred, beat U of L pretty comfortably on the road, then got taken to OT by Ole Miss in the first SEC game, and were very lucky to beat Georgia and LSU.

It's an interesting conversation for sure. I'm not sure there's a really good answer. Purely subjective.

Reactions: awf

UK is 9-3 in the SEC, 2-0 vs ACC this season...
You beat the ACC 5th place team at a neutral site, and the 6th place team at home by 2 points. And all of your conference losses are on the road.

LPT does well because it plays in the SEC. That's always been the story. Looks like y'oughta consider playing more without your head coach.

...So yeah, the SEC isn't awesome, but it's not chopped liver either.
Well, let's talk specifics... Who in the SEC is any good and why?

And your team is 18-6 with Pitino Lite coaching this year and 1-0 without him. Let's keep tracking that.

...I would like to know how Cal and Uk would've faired in the old Big East or the ACC of today. But of course that's a moot point that can't be proven either way so we'll never know.
I know. A lot worse than 19-0 or 18-1. Why do you think they stay there??

Last edited:

UK Would NOT go to any ACC venue, that first place is on the line, and have 30% of the crowd. That is SEC basketball. Kentucky is the only SEC team that may win more than one game in the tournament, you do realize that the SEC went 3-7 against the Big12, and that was with the bottom three SEC teams not participating. Kentucky has good guards, but your conference is garbage.

The SEC is 10-12 against the ACC this year. While not 50%, it is one game away. The SEC will have as many ACC teams in the sweet sixteen as the ACC this year.

Reactions: KyFord and awf
Saying Calipari has won against easy competition would be me saying UL football has been lucky to get all their wins playing in weak football conferences.
Which is what you do all day every day on the yut board - so skulk back over there with the rest of schadenfreude obsessed liars.

You beat the ACC 5th place team at a neutral site, and the 6th place team at home by 2 points. And all of your conference losses are on the road.

LPT does well because it plays in the SEC. That's always been the story. Looks like y'oughta consider playing more without your head coach.

Well I guess getting to more Final Fours and winning more championships is because we are better rested.

Reactions: KyFord and jrpross
The SEC is 10-12 against the ACC this year. While not 50%, it is one game away. The SEC will have as many ACC teams in the sweet sixteen as the ACC this year.
And? Do you actually think the two leagues are comparable?

If you are going to look at his won loss record in the NCAA tournament games make sure you look at what teams he played. Due to the easy wins in the sec and the talent WWW is recruiting for sUcK they have gotten some pretty high seeds. The higher the seed the easier the tournament games.

Reactions: zipp

How do you explain tournament success? There's no denying the SEC has some lowly basketball teams in it every year but we also have a few decent teams. Usually Kentucky is the only top tier team with maybe one school joining the ride ( used to be Florida I don't know who it would be now ) but we schedule tough teams OOC to make up for it.

I look forward to the game in Yum! Next year and I'm rooting for you guys the rest of the regular season.

Reactions: blubo
Louisville twice, overall 1 seed Ohio State in 2011, UNC, Kansas, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Undefeated Wichita State...
Not to mention 42-15 against top 25 teams under Calipari and 49-17 against top 25 teams with Pitino so, UK seems to continue its winning ways regardless. It does not matter in what conference we play, we would still be winning a high percentage of games.

You're talking about this season? You can also compare the matchups for years. They've lost once in the last 3 years to an ACC team. And no offense, but they've beaten UL regularly home and away, and UL has been in the top half of the ACC.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kentucky does well because it is Kentucky. Our tourney record speaks for itself against non sec teams. You're grasping at straws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT