ADVERTISEMENT

Next assistant coach?

Would be a great assistant in the Willard mold but, I'd rather see someone who had more recruiting ties. Plus, I don't see him leaving his spot as HC at Bellarmine - he's got that place rolling - and he's never going to get the HC job at UofL.

Well with the announcement that Williard is stepping down, who will be our next assistant coach? And no, not Kenny Payne...
I'd assume Balado would move into Willards role and David would be promoted to asst coach. Wayne would probably make a move as well.

Assuming Richard's job is safe at Minnesota probably one of those guys with slimy AAU ties.

How about bringing Kevin Williard back as coach in waiting? He seems to have a good thing at Seton Hall but he might consider if he was the coach to succeed CRP when he retires.

How about bringing Kevin Williard back as coach in waiting? He seems to have a good thing at Seton Hall but he might consider if he was the coach to succeed CRP when he retires.
I'm sure that there's evidence to the contrary but, rarely does the whole "coach in waiting" thing succeed. I like KW but, I think UofL would be in line for some higher on the food chain.

Billy Donavan gets my vote. I would say Brad Stevens but he's in a good place with the Celtics right now. They have a lot of young talent and the league seems to be trending towards a big changing of the guard soon.

The Ice man MILT Wagne !!! Lives in the Ville nownow has recruiting experience worked for Cal . Plus it's time to get some old school Louisville guys on that bench.

Billy the Kid is my guy. If Rick hangs on for about three more years he and Billy D will work something out.

Don't get me wrong but I think the time for Billy may have passed. He's made a decision to go to the NBA and unless he flops I don't think he wants to be seen as a repeat college coach who couldn't make it. If he becomes successful he may not want to come back to college. Billy's 50 which is not old but the timing may not work with him. I think we need a guy who is younger with a lot of energy to carry the tradition for 20 more years hopefully.

How about Fred Hoiberg?? For HC that is when Rick steps down. I think Rick coaches another year or two. Perfect timing for him to go out with a bang, put this scandal behind him and leave a clean and attractive job for a fantastic coach who should have stayed in the college ranks and not gone after the NBA.

Again, vote for the "Mayor", Fred Hoiberg!!

I don't know how long CRP has left at Louisville I think his contract is until 2020. Contracts are made to be broken or changed so you never know. I think CRP won't leave until he wins another title which could be in the next couple of years.
However, when that time comes we would probably replace him with a high profile coach. Louisville is one of college basketball's elite programs. I like Milt and all of our former players but I don't think he would be the right guy for the job.
Just because Donovan is coaching in the pro ranks doesn't mean he won't be available. There are a lot of coaches who burn out because of the long seasons and they want more time with the family.

Kozmas,

That's why I say the timing is critical with BD. Based on CRP's own statement that he needs to decompress and reconsider his situation, some people think he's not coming back. I don't believe that's true and he wants to finish His contract. It may not be his decision depending on how things play out. If he doesn't come back next year, BD has only been in the NBA 1 year. I don't see him moving that soon. Oklahoma City is leading the western division now. If BD remains successful for 4 more years I don't see him coming back to college if there's a possibility for a NBA ring.

Not sure how much Donavon would want to be an assistant coach. Padgett would be a good fit from a coaching standpoint if Rick wants to go that way. Or he could go with a AAU guy to get some players in. Then it's always Richard if he gets canned at Minnesota.

He's 148-136 (41-65 in Big East) and only postseason so far is ONE NIT appearance. I'll pass

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT