Elite Member
Silver Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, KY
www.cardinalsports.com
Here is the official press release...

Cards Radio 790 WKRD Debuts A New Lineup

Featuring Howie Lindsey and Nick Coffey

Louisville, Ky. – February 25, 2016 – iHeartMedia Louisville announced today that two new local shows will join the lineup at Cards Radio 790 KRD.

Howie Lindsey will host a new morning sports talkshow from 7-10:00 a.m. weekdays. Lindsey is well-known as an expert on the Louisville sports scene through his past work on local radio, television, and online at CardinalSports.com. He has covered Louisville area athletics for over a dozen years. Lindsey will be joined by contributors Matt Willinger and Katie George.

Also joining the Cards Radio 790 KRD lineup is Nick Coffey. Coffey will host a new local sports talkshow from noon to 3 p.m. weekdays. He is an online entrepreneur and founder of TheCardinalConnect.Com. Coffey has also hosted a daily sports talkshow in Southern Indiana for the last five years.

“We’re very excited to expand our local sports coverage on Cards Radio 790 KRD," said Kelly Carls, Director of AM Programming, iHeartMedia Louisville. "Mornings, middays and afternoons, we now have local sports fans covered with updates, insights, and compelling conversation about the teams and games that really matter.”

Lindsey and Coffey join a lineup which also includes Dan Patrick from 10 a.m. to noon and Tony Vanetti & Dave Jennings on The Afternoon Underdogs from 3-5:30 p.m. Both new programs debut Monday, March 7, on Cards Radio 790 KRD.

iHeartMedia has the number one reach of any media outlet in in the Louisville market and its programming and content are available across multiple platforms, including its broadcast stations; online via its branded digital sites; mobile; and social, with nationwide listening through iHeartRadio — with its more than 700 million downloads, more than 75 million social media followers and 87 million digital uniques across the Network.

About iHeartMedia Louisville:
iHeartMedia Louisville owns and operates WTFX-FM; WQMF-FM; WAMZ-FM; WNRW-FM; WLGX-FM; WKRD-AM; WHAS-AM; WKJK-AM; and is part of iHeartMedia. With over a quarter of a billion monthly listeners in the U.S and over 80 million social followers, iHeartMedia has the largest reach of any radio or television outlet in America. It serves over 150 markets through 858 owned radio stations, and the company’s radio stations and content can be heard on AM/FM, HD digital radio, satellite radio, on the Internet at iHeartRadio.com and on the company’s radio station websites, on the iHeartRadio mobile app, in enhanced auto dashes, on tablets and smartphones, and on gaming consoles. iHeartRadio, iHeartMedia’s digital radio platform, is the No. 1 all-in-one digital audio service with over 800 million downloads; it reached its first 20 million registered users faster than any digital service in Internet history and reached 70 million users faster than any other radio or digital music service and even faster than Facebook. The company’s operations include radio broadcasting, online, mobile, digital and social media, live concerts and events, syndication, music research services and independent media representation. iHeartMedia is a division of iHeartMedia, Inc. (OTCBB: IHRT). Visit iHeartMedia.com for more company information.

Sorry Howie, love you but I won't be listening anymore. It looks to me like 790 realized they messed up and are trying to make 790 Cards Radio again. They had their chance and blew it for me. With 1450 and 93.9, I have some real Cards radio. 790 blew it for 1 by being Clear Channel which sold out to Big Blue but also employ those UK lovin' Underdogs. Once they turned Big Blew, I checked out. Especially with the lineup offered elsewhere.

Congrats to you I guess but I will really miss you on The Ville. Loved your show but just can't follow you over to Big Blew country.

Can't stand listening to Vanetti and Jennings and don't anymore! I literally almost throw-up every time Vanetti starts a sentence with "Man..."

Reactions: CatPhight
Sorry Howie, love you but I won't be listening anymore. It looks to me like 790 realized they messed up and are trying to make 790 Cards Radio again. They had their chance and blew it for me. With 1450 and 93.9, I have some real Cards radio. 790 blew it for 1 by being Clear Channel which sold out to Big Blue but also employ those UK lovin' Underdogs. Once they turned Big Blew, I checked out. Especially with the lineup offered elsewhere.

Congrats to you I guess but I will really miss you on The Ville. Loved your show but just can't follow you over to Big Blew country.

Exactly, it's like 790 is "we are sorry Cards fans, please, please, please come back". Whateves.

It wouldn't surprise me if this was a move by Clear Channel to try to run The Ville out of business and then go back to kissing the Big Blues Butt once they have the market cornered again. Screw Clear Channel.

You couldn't pay me to listen to Jennings and Vanetti together. That would be like a punishment.

Great Howie! I will be listening because you are good at what you do and are much more knowledgable than Deener. It is unfortunate that some folks on here worry more about the station than the content on the station.

Reactions: JohnKBA
If I knew of a good show on a station, I'd listen to it even if I didn't like the station in general. Clear Channel does north of $6B a year in revenue and made over a billion dollars profit in 2014. A few people boycotting it in a marginal market isn't a drop in the bucket for them.

Going to be listening to Howie and Ramsey & Rutherford. I like Marques Maybin but can't listen when his punk buddy Sweeney is on there. Valvano is knowledgeable but an ass IMO so I listen to national sports from 12-3.

Can't listen to Deener ever after listening to him for years trashing UofL to his UK buddies while we were both living in Lexington. Rather wash Jared Lorenzen's drawers than listen to Vanneti and Jennings.

UofL is well represented by Howie, Marques and R&R.

Last edited:
I beat the U of L drum pretty hard, but some of the thinking expressed in this thread escapes me... If your brother got a job hosting on 790 to talk all things U of L, would you tune him in? If your answer is 'no', with all due respect, you're either less than honest or a little warped in your thinking.

The bigger issue is the man, not the radio station. What message would it send Iheart and 790 if Howie's new show blew the doors off the Underdogs with ratings and advertisers? If all of that's the same, the message may be "it doesn't matter if we broadcast pro-U of L programming or not." Is that the message you wanna send?

Like L-villian said above this post, the best strategy is to pick and choose the shows to listen to. And get the right message to the people who make programming decisions. As Pitino says "not bitter, better"...

Reactions: JohnKBA
Jennings is absolutely horrible. How even got the job amazed me, how he keeps it . . . well I got nothing. He flat out stinks.

Will of course listen to Howie. I quit listening to underdogs quite a while ago. Their target must be 18 to 19 year old boys including ukers. Hated it when they let ukers say outrageous stuff. Ellen

I wonder what happened with the Howie Show not being on 93.9 The Ville? I'll try to catch Howie's show on 790.

I'll try to check it out. Cautiously optimistic. The undercats make me worried about that station though. Anyone know anything about the other stations under that umbrella ? figuring out the character of a station is easiest by looking at what stations they collaborate with.

Some folks obviously missed the fact that WKRD has new management and the new manager's son reportedly plays football for UofL. The new boss replaced a UK fan from Bardstown. Might want to take the facts under consideration. Who wouldn't want to listen to Howie anyway?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT