ADVERTISEMENT

WAR ROOM New commitments on the horizon

Dave Lackford

6000+
Staff
Jan 14, 2014
OFFENSE
The two main quarterback targets are Shedeur Sanders and Jaylen Henderson. I was told Sanders is doing a bus tour visiting cities and campus of schools he's considering. Yes, campuses are closed but he has the means to travel so that's what he's doing.

Louisville is done at running back.

Ahmari Huggins-Bruce is expected to announce on July 2 and I haven't heard anything that makes me think Louisville has slipped but I'm continuing to monitor the situation. With the tragic passing of Dexter Rentz there is a chance that the Cards take three in this class. Honestly, I don't know who the other likely commits are going to be right now. I do know it won't be Tae'Quan Johnson who committed to ...*checks notes* ... Coastal Carolina. I was told months ago that Johnson was a take and then he ended up at Coastal so I'm just going to wait until after Huggins commits before I start trying to reach out about new targets.

Tight End recruiting is still touch and go. Lawson Albright chose Northwestern and I get more questions about Jordan Dingle than answers from my sources so continue to watch him but I think it's a Georgia Tech, Northwestern, Vanderbilt situation but that's more of a guess based on a few conversations with Dingle than anything from sources at those programs.

I don't see anything on the horizon for the Offensive Line but three-star offensive tackle Ethan Mort did say that he is most comfortable with Louisville and UCF in this article with the West Virginia site.
Diego Pounds remains a priority as are Michael Myslinski and Michael Gonzalez. If Louisville finishes with a combination of those three then that's a damn good haul. Another name to keep and eye on is William Griffin. Griffin has been off the grid for a while now but he's visited Lousiville multiple times and has a solid relationship with Pete Nochta. I haven't heard his name in a while however so I need to do some digging around with my sources down in Tennessee.

DEFENSE
Louisville is done with the defensive line unless someone they really couldn't pass on wanted in and I don't think that person is Brayden Wood.

At linebacker, the names to watch are still the same. There has been some smoke that Gavin Barthiel is leaning Louisville and my sources indicate there is but I was told that some conversations were still ongoing and I should have more on the situation later this week. The real prize here is three-star Tennessee linebacker target Prince Kollie. I continue to hear that Louisville has a legit shot at him and I think the Staff is swinging for the fences. James Jackson remains a priority and I was told Louisville still feels confident. Jackson Hamilton also remains a top target but if Barthiel is taken first I think that significantly moves the needle to Georgia Tech, if it's not already moved far in that direction already. Nebraska commit Christopher Paul is another prospect to look out for but I don't think he's as high on the board as the players mentioned above.

The secondary is where the real movement is happening. Three-star corner Kani Walker is expected to announce soon. He told me June 27 but I think it could come sooner than that. I still expect TJ Quinn to choose Louisville and that could come at the end of this month or the beginning of July. I think Sean Brown the safety/linebacker hybrid is going to choose NC State soon so scratch him from the watch list.

A corner who has blown up lately is Damarius McGhee and the staff has done a good job with him and I think the Cards are legitimate contenders. DaQuan Gonzales spoke with a source of mine down in Florida and the vibe he got was Tennessee and Louisville are the teams to beat but a decision isn't coming anytime soon. I think he likes Tennessee more than Louisville but I also think he likes Tennessee more than Tennessee likes him. I don't think he will make a decision soon, perhaps right before or during the season.

That means the numbers will look like this:

Corner:
Conner Rance, Kani Walker, then one more. Probably one of DaQuan Gonzalez, Duce Chestnut, Damarius McGhee, Derrick Edwards, or Ricardo Hallman.
If two of these players want in they may make room and subtract a scholarship from the offensive line numbers since they signed five last year.
Safety: Bralyn Oliver, TJ Quinn, and one of Kaleb Edwards, Jeffrey Bassa, or Myzel Williams. I think Louisville will also make room for two out of three of these guys if the situation warranted it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News