ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Top 5 Candidates....

Ok trying to keep up, these seem to be the 9 names that have been mentioned that are realistic in no particular order. So what say you? Which one makes the most sense with buyout, wanting to come here, etc.?

1. Nate Oats
2. Eric Musselman
3. Shaka Smart
4. Sean Miller
5. Ben McCollum
6. Mick Cronin
7. Grant McCasland
8. Chris Beard
9. Jerome Tang

Ok trying to keep up, these seem to be the 9 names that have been mentioned that are realistic in no particular order. So what say you? Which one makes the most sense with buyout, wanting to come here, etc.?

1. Nate Oats
2. Eric Musselman
3. Shaka Smart
4. Sean Miller
5. Ben McCollum
6. Mick Cronin
7. Grant McCasland
8. Chris Beard
9. Jerome Tang
Miller, Cronin and Beard would be my 3 most likely

Reactions: CardsFirst
Two on the list are impressive neither would step into this mess. Mick is the only one who has voiced interest and I’m not sure if her would want to inherit this mess.

Two on the list are impressive neither would step into this mess. Mick is the only one who has voiced interest and I’m not sure if her would want to inherit this mess.
Mick has cleaned up messes at UC and UCLA. You will have to not only recruit him but his daughter and his ex-wife as well. They both accompanied him to LA. IMO his father wouldn't mind him coming back to the Ohio River valley.

On a positive note, he knows the lay of the land here, the culture and the fan support here.

Here are the current records of the 9 favorites. Any of these would be a MASSIVE upgrade to what we have. Not sure what we could afford, Zipp could probably answer it. I would say the lowest buyout would be McCollum, but even he would be light years ahead of where we are. Hopefully, Heird already has feelers out to several of these coaches.

1. Nate Oats - 6-3
2. Eric Musselman - 6-4
3. Shaka Smart - 8-2
4. Sean Miller - 5-5
5. Ben McCollum - 7-3
6. Mick Cronin - 5-3
7. Grant McCasland
8. Chris Beard - 9-0
9. Jerome Tang - 8-2

Reactions: shadow force
Here are the current records of the 9 favorites. Any of these would be a MASSIVE upgrade to what we have. Not sure what we could afford, Zipp could probably answer it. I would say the lowest buyout would be McCollum, but even he would be light years ahead of where we are. Hopefully, Heird already has feelers out to several of these coaches.

1. Nate Oats - 6-3
2. Eric Musselman - 6-4
3. Shaka Smart - 8-2
4. Sean Miller - 5-5
5. Ben McCollum - 7-3
6. Mick Cronin - 5-3
7. Grant McCasland
8. Chris Beard - 9-0
9. Jerome Tang - 8-2
can't just cherry pick one season. UCLA is really young this year. Shaka is rebuilding Marquette, etc. Not just who is hot at the time but their entire body of work. Mack was a good example, on paper he looked like he was ready for the next step. However, under close scrutiny he was at or near the same level as the 5 previous HC's at Xavier. He might have fooled quite a few people but not me. Sorry, just had to go there because that's the hire that started this shit storm we are in now.

can't just cherry pick one season. UCLA is really young this year. Shaka is rebuilding Marquette, etc.
You're right. That's why I included all 9 names because these 9 have proved their worth over several seasons. Good point!

...Not sure what we could afford, Zipp could probably answer it...
Thanks for the mention, but the answer hasn't changed because it's easy to figure out...

When your operation is losing millions on a regular basis, it's kinda hard to afford millions more unless you have money in the bank. We don't have that either.

If I was a BoT member, I would question the argument that athletics will make about restoring the fanbase and attendance. We went down that path with buyouts for Petrino and Mack and LOST fans. With Brohm, we're still down 10K season ticket holders in football from the best years.

No one since 2017 has been able to consistently make financial promises and deliver. If I was in a position of authority, I wouldn't expect that to suddenly change.

So you pick on your coaching list from the bottom up in terms of the most expensive options, i.e., you go with the least expensive. That's probably not someone with a lot of demonstrated ability, maybe another crap shoot like we have now. And that's not inconsistent with our ongoing efforts to defund and minimize men's basketball...

Thanks for the mention, but the answer hasn't changed because it's easy to figure out...

When your operation is losing millions on a regular basis, it's kinda hard to afford millions more unless you have money in the bank. We don't have that either.

If I was a BoT member, I would question the argument that athletics will make about restoring the fanbase and attendance. We went down that path with buyouts for Petrino and Mack and LOST fans. With Brohm, we're still down 10K season ticket holders in football from the best years.

No one since 2017 has been able to consistently make financial promises and deliver. If I was in a position of authority, I wouldn't expect that to suddenly change.

So you pick on your coaching list from the bottom up in terms of the most expensive options, i.e., you go with the least expensive. That's probably not someone with a lot of demonstrated ability, maybe another crap shoot like we have now. And that's not inconsistent with our ongoing efforts to defund and minimize men's basketball...
So then Ben McCollum would probably be the best case in your scenario...?

If there's going to be a coaching change, sure kick tires hope for the best. I lean to an expectation of a mid-major low mid major guy coming in next. But I'm not an insider or involved at all. We have no idea really. They could conceivably be anywhere from already having their guy to being lost on it all. I'm leaning closer to the lost direction than already having this solved.

If there's going to be a coaching change, sure kick tires hope for the best. I lean to an expectation of a mid-major low mid major guy coming in next. But I'm not an insider or involved at all. We have no idea really. They could conceivably be anywhere from already having their guy to being lost on it all. I'm leaning closer to the lost direction than already having this solved.
I agree. Unless there is some sort of hitting the lottery situation with Jay Wright, they need to find someone stable who can start to rebuild. The bad news is that they hired the absolute WOAT in Payne - the good news is literally anyone will look great in comparison.

I’m hardly the first person to suggest this but, hire Davenport for a finite 4-5 period. He’d at least bring in kids who’ll play hard.

I agree. Unless there is some sort of hitting the lottery situation with Jay Wright, they need to find someone stable who can start to rebuild. The bad news is that they hired the absolute WOAT in Payne - the good news is literally anyone will look great in comparison.

I’m hardly the first person to suggest this but, hire Davenport for a finite 4-5 period. He’d at least bring in kids who’ll play hard.
It could get interesting.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
1. Chris Beard
2. Mussleman
3. Will Wade
4. Shaka Smart
5. Any young coach who has a winning record and is hungry.

This isn’t hard I have no idea why Louisville’s fans or administration is making it so difficult. Payne is the most replaceable man in college basketball. The list above might have baggage but baggage doesn’t matter anymore. My generation (35) is really the last generation where cheating even matters. And even to us we’ve lived through so much bullshut it doesn’t matter to us anymore either. Those names above are possible to get, affordable, and would probably win. If nothing else, all would be way better than Payne. Beard would kill it.

I’d hire Scotty D immediately.
He’d be a stabilizer, not a long term answer.
You could cut a deal to slide Reece over (Bell. can’t go tourney anyway).
Scotty would immediately get fans interested as a local favorite and hometown hero they would support.
He’d be affordable.
He’d make it fun to see this team play with intentionality and purpose on every possession.
He could start tomorrow and you could put an interim tag on him.
He’s a connection to Pitino and Crum.

Last edited:
One thing Scotty would do that the joke we have as a coach isn't is bench your ass for not playing d and hustling. I firmly believe getting some splinters in your rear is a great motivator.

Reactions: UKCoachesGraveyard
When you’ve gone down the aisle with Kenny Payne, it’s hard to be critical of anyone else.

But Capel is exactly the type of coach I would expect this administration to offer up as his replacement. It’s the perfect example of an argument I make to think twice about sending the same people out to fix their own mistakes.

Why would you hope for significant improvement just because we’re making a change?

“Anyone’s better than Todd Grantham!…”
Don’t you mean “person”? You’ve said the Josh didn’t hire Payne but is fully accountable for the next hire. How could it be the same people?

• Haha
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
I’d hire Scotty D immediately. No way he does that mid season. Good idea because I really don’t think there is anyone on the bench the players trust.

Beard is the one guy that you could have a high confidence it would work. Doesn’t have to be the guy but no one can poke holes in his coaching.

1. Chris Beard
2. Mussleman
3. Will Wade
4. Shaka Smart
5. Any young coach who has a winning record and is hungry.

This isn’t hard I have no idea why Louisville’s fans or administration is making it so difficult. Payne is the most replaceable man in college basketball. The list above might have baggage but baggage doesn’t matter anymore. My generation (35) is really the last generation where cheating even matters. And even to us we’ve lived through so much bullshut it doesn’t matter to us anymore either. Those names above are possible to get, affordable, and would probably win. If nothing else, all would be way better than Payne. Beard would kill it.
How ys been morg

I’d hire Scotty D immediately.
He’d be a stabilizer, not a long term answer.
You could cut a deal to slide Reece over (Bell. can’t go tourney anyway).
Scotty would immediately get fans interested as a local favorite and hometown hero they would support.
He’d be affordable.
He’d make it fun to see this team play with intentionality and purpose on every possession.
He could start tomorrow and you could put an interim tag on him.
He’s a connection to Pitino and Crum.
Not sure a connection to Pitino is a good thing... Plus does Davenport have to energy to rebuild a program? I know it might only take 1 or 2 really good recruiting seasons plus with NIL it makes it easier...

Don’t you mean “person”? You’ve said the Josh didn’t hire Payne but is fully accountable for the next hire. How could it be the same people?
Josh will be where the buck stops on this next hire. But he still won't make it on his own. U of L basketball is a certifiable dumpster fire. There will be a lot of chefs in the kitchen messing things up...

I keep seeing a lot of names thrown around but not really anything about Scott Drew at Baylor. Am I missing something there because I kinda think he goes on the list of coaches you make tell you no. They play good ball and he's won a championship.

I keep seeing a lot of names thrown around but not really anything about Scott Drew at Baylor. Am I missing something there because I kinda think he goes on the list of coaches you make tell you no. They play good ball and he's won a chachampionship.

I just don't see a coach leaving their current school that they won a championship with. Maybe I'm wrong.

I just don't see a coach leaving their current school that they won a championship with. Maybe I'm wrong.
My thoughts on that one are that Baylor typically isn't a high profile job. I would hope the history here would still be a big draw. Louisville is a better job than Baylor.

My thoughts on that one are that Baylor typically isn't a high profile job. I would hope the history here would still be a big draw. Louisville is a better job than Baylor.
If Drew wanted to come here I'd happy to have a championship winning coach again for sure.

Reactions: ebruns
Good points made on Field of 68.

1) Drew-1st call timing may be right.
2)Tang-not happy with KSU Administration.
3) May-is option but would leave for IU when it opened.
4) Beard-Miller——do they leave after 1-2 years after being given a lifeline by AD’s? Probably not.
5) Cronin-by all accounts he wants the job. He thinks he can get out of buyout——unlikely he can.

It probably goes like this and we will never know.

1) Drew
2) Tang
3) Cronin-can move up or off the list depending on his buyout.
4) Beard and Miller use this to get raises.

Reactions: ebruns
I'm still not sure what I think of Tang. I think a lot of the fan base is really high on him because he beat UK in the tournament and then ran his mouth a little bit which is fine. Just kind of gives me Billy G vibes. The rest of this year should give us some more clarity on that.

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
I keep seeing a lot of names thrown around but not really anything about Scott Drew at Baylor. Am I missing something there because I kinda think he goes on the list of coaches you make tell you no. They play good ball and he's won a championship.
If Drew wanted to come here I'd happy to have a championship winning coach again for sure.
Looking real good on TV at the moment…

This is where we are, when fans are suggesting Tom Crean and Sweaty McSweaterson Williams.

Yet we're too good for a young, 4x National Championship coach from D2...
753ab6aafdbdfaf7ca3e4c4a846a5b1c.gif

There is a significant shift occurring in basketball nationally. It is losing popularity. The word is the next NBA TV contact won’t be what they want some think that is why Cuban sold.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the weed wacker bowl had a better TV audience than all the basketball games yesterday and it was the best collection of games this year.

It think the days of selling 20,000 nightly is gone. There is also the player money-performance issue that is a very thin line. Fan engagement is borderline if the product is just good. It is non-existent if it is bad.

That will eventually get baked into future contracts. The question is there a 6M coach on the market? Is Scott Drew a 6M coach?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT