ADVERTISEMENT

New Coach Top 5 Candidates....

Is impersonating a head coach a fire able offense? I’m wondering about what statements were made on his CV. Any of those intentionally misleading?

Pretty sure that Junior Bridgeman is the one holding the keys to Josh Heird’s handcuffs. If JH fires KP Bridgeman’s checkbook and backing goes away.

But, it’s time to choose between a powerful supporter and a coach who is making our program and national laughter stock.

I'll add this which I posted in another thread:

Aside from being incredibly successful, consistent, an Adidas guy, smart, young enough to have a long tenure…

Another selling point is his neutrality. No association with our past history - positive or negative. No doubt he knows of Louisville basketball, and I’m sure respects the tradition, but he also isn’t burdened with following a legend whom he will be compared against. Louisville basketball is like finding the Biltmore Estate on foreclosure.

If Josh is smart, and I believe he is, this guy will be a top (if not THE top) candidate, and if he brings him in for an interview, he brings the whole family.

And I don’t want to hear sh*t about “but can he recruit at the P5 level”

This isn’t college football where you need 3-deep on the OL and DL to even think about competing with the elite.

This is NCAA basketball. The right coach can take any team/school to the final four. The really good ones can do it more than once. Mark Few didn’t take the job at Gonzaga and start hauling in blue-chippers. Neither did Jay Wright at Villanova. Or Chris Beard at Texas Tech. Loyola-Chicago. Wichita State. Butler. VCU.

We need a coach who knows what he is doing, and is great at doing it! That alone with Louisville’s tradition and facilities will open doors to a higher caliber athlete than he has ever had access to. But most importantly, I want him to get baller that he wants. Ones that fit his system.

Let that school down the road continue hauling in the OADs, having high expectations and then failing to meet them with clueless freshmen that run an AAU system. I want to be back to being a regular in the Sweet 16/Elite 8.
Nice thought, and under different circumstances Ben would be a great hire. Unfortunately, I am not sure we have enough time to allow a Div II coach to build his program. Aside from winning games, a new hire needs to attract sufficient fan support to attend home games now, not later.

Heird missed the best opportunity at the end of last season, by not finding a career job at the University that would allow KP a chance to resign with some dignity. Kenny is not only bringing further destruction to an already declining Program, he has destroyed any chance of having a coaching career for himself.

Another disastrous season will only eliminate additional season ticket holders that will be difficult to replace during a rebuild.

Not sure it is possible, but anything less than a Nate Oats type hire will be too late to save this program. Regrettably the analogy of Georgetown and Baltimore to UL and Louisville is rather predictable.

Nice thought, and under different circumstances Ben would be a great hire. Unfortunately, I am not sure we have enough time to allow a Div II coach to build his program. Aside from winning games, a new hire needs to attract sufficient fan support to attend home games now, not later.

Heird missed the best opportunity at the end of last season, by not finding a career job at the University that would allow KP a chance to resign with some dignity. Kenny is not only bringing further destruction to an already declining Program, he has destroyed any chance of having a coaching career for himself.

Another disastrous season will only eliminate additional season ticket holders that will be difficult to replace during a rebuild.

Not sure it is possible, but anything less than a Nate Oats type hire will be too late to save this program. Regrettably the analogy of Georgetown and Baltimore to UL and Louisville is rather predictable.
There is no more "program building" with college basketball, the portal and NIL.

There is no guarantee Nate Oats will be successful here, or Mussleman, or Drew, or Tang. I'm more comfortable with a guy who has shown extreme success and has sustained that success. Let me know when Oats has a championship ring. If you think we are outbidding an SEC school, you are whistling Dixie.

There is no more "program building" with college basketball, the portal and NIL.

There is no guarantee Nate Oats will be successful here, or Mussleman, or Drew, or Tang. I'm more comfortable with a guy who has shown extreme success and has sustained that success. Let me know when Oats has a championship ring. If you think we are outbidding an SEC school, you are whistling Dixie.
I would love a coach that has shown Championship sustained success. However those guys are now few and far between and are no longer leaving the school they won a championship with. They're staying put.

Ha! We said the same thing about Brohm didn't we?
Satterfield PAID us more than enough to buy out Brohm. No net buyout.

Payne's buyout is $8 million now. Cronin's is astronomical WRT what we have in the bank.

I expect we will eventually hire a guy in the $3-4 million range and be told that's what U of L can afford...

Chris Beard is making 3.25 million this year at Ole Miss and that will increase by 100,000 every year he’s there. I say we could probably afford to get him away from there

Reactions: BooneCo_Card
bearcatsports.com
Ben McCollum

• Named head coach prior to the 2009-10 season (14 seasons)
• Career record of 365-86 (221-61 MIAA)
• 2022 NABC Division II National Coach of the Year (5th time - most in NABC Div. II history)
• 2021 NABC Division II National Coach of the Year
• 2020 NABC Division II National Coach of the Year
• 2019 John McLendon National Coach of the Year (all divisions)
• 2019 NABC, Basketball Times, HoopDirt.com Division II National Coach of the Year
• 2019 Kansas City Sports Awards Coach of the Year
• 2017 NABC and DII Bulletin Division II National Coach of the Year
• 11 MIAA Regular Season Titles (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023)
• Seven MIAA Tournament Titles (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2022, 2023)
• 30-6 NCAA Div. II Tournament Record (2017 NCAA National Champions, 2019 NCAA National Champions, 2021 NCAA National Champions, 2022 NCAA National Champions)
• Eight-Time MIAA Coach of the Year (2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022)
• 2012, 2020 Clarence "Big House" Gaines National Coach of the Year

Chris Beard is making 3.25 million this year at Ole Miss and that will increase by 100,000 every year he’s there. I say we could probably afford to get him away from there
This is the one that makes to most sense. Obtainable-motivated-affordable.

I understand these threads but where is the money to fire him? On top of that where is the money to hire someone else. Then go deeper into the hole what if that coach is .500 next year? What then?

The expectation is next year with no obstacles is the NCAA. If the next coach doesn’t achieve that he failed. He will face the same scrutiny as Payne. At some point the fanbase has to let the coach build the program back up. You can’t keep firing coaches early in contracts because they don’t meet the standard. It’s not like contracts are 2-3 years.
You still taking this stance ??

Beard would be light years better than Payne but is he worth the risk with his past troubles? I don't know. The next hire has to be rock solid. UofL can't have anymore scandals or other problems.

Reactions: Art79 and Mayoman
That's not a "stance." The financial elements are FACTS.

Athletics has no money to pay more buyouts. And these guys have proven that they pay them and lose MORE money in the process.

Buyouts only work if you're smart using them. We're not smart at anything, obviously...

Beard would be light years better than Payne but is he worth the risk with his past troubles? I don't know. The next hire has to be rock solid. UofL can't have anymore scandals or other problems.
He’s a risk with the past problems, I agree. But he’s affordable.

I still don’t know where the money is coming from to buy him out. I still don’t know who this fan base will embrace. I think Beard is the most logical but like people have said there is risk there as well.

With that said I definitely believe if he doesn’t get these kids playing better they are going to have to figure out how to get it done. No way you can retain him if this continues.

I remember when we fired an incompetent coach, and this fanbase thought the new AD was crazy for hiring some no-name guy from Utah State.

The fanbase will embrace Anyone who will win games.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
If he stays and we have another year like last, we will lose most of the current players and I can't imagine how kp could entice anyone to come play for him.

I remember when we fired an incompetent coach, and this fanbase thought the new AD was crazy for hiring some no-name guy from Utah State.

The fanbase will embrace Anyone who will win games.
The ones that show up will but I can tell you I know some life long season tickets holders that have told me they're done and won't come back. 2 of those were 6 figure donors. Mostly over how the KP hiring went down..

Reactions: UKCoachesGraveyard
Beard is the most affordable at this rate, unless we can pull out a bunch of money from the side somehow. I think Beard would do wonders with a core of Skyy, Tre, Mike, Dennis, BHH, JJ, Ty-Laur, Curtis, and Kaleb. Pretty similar roster structure to his would have been 2022-23 team. That would be amazing if the next coach, whoever it is, could keep those 9 guys

Beard is the most affordable at this rate, unless we can pull out a bunch of money from the side somehow. I think Beard would do wonders with a core of Skyy, Tre, Mike, Dennis, BHH, JJ, Ty-Laur, Curtis, and Kaleb. Pretty similar roster structure to his would have been 2022-23 team. That would be amazing if the next coach, whoever it is, could keep those 9 guys
Lets stop thinking "most affordable" and think who's best to restore U of L basketball back to prominence? Answer: Mick Cronin. He has ties and the resume (sounds like someone I know who coaches football).

Reactions: UKCoachesGraveyard
Lets stop thinking "most affordable" and think who's best to restore U of L basketball back to prominence? Answer: Mick Cronin. He has ties and the resume (sounds like someone I know who coaches football).
I think Cronin would be a good option, but didn’t he just sign a huge deal with UCLA?

I think Cronin would be a good option, but didn’t he just sign a huge deal with UCLA?
I’m just not extremely sold on Cronin coaching anywhere outside of UCLA. I think being the UCLA coach has helped him attract California talent on the position he holds alone. If he were still at Cincinnati I don’t know if he would be pulling in the same players. Beard, on the other hand, took Texas Tech to the title game and has put more than a few players in the league. Almost every single one of his teams is competitive year round as well.

I’m just not extremely sold on Cronin coaching anywhere outside of UCLA. I think being the UCLA coach has helped him attract California talent on the position he holds alone. If he were still at Cincinnati I don’t know if he would be pulling in the same players. Beard, on the other hand, took Texas Tech to the title game and has put more than a few players in the league. Almost every single one of his teams is competitive year round as well.
I'll play. What are Chris Beard's ties to Louisville? Didn't we run two coaches out suspected for being crooked?

Is it a prerequisite that the next coach has to have personal ties to Louisville or something?
It's not but just look at the football situation. We thought we sank as far as we could after BP's last year and it was obvious that CSS was not the answer and it was also apparent he was not going to be long term answer here. Bring in a guy with local ties and a relationship to the community. That's what separates Louisville and other head coaching jobs. You got to find a coach that wants to be here long term (like Denny) and not use Louisville as a stepping stone (CBP, CCS, John L, Corso). It's going to take someone who will be committed both to the University and the community. When you look at those criteria, there are really few options. Just for the record, I was in favor of keeping David Padgett instead of Chris Mack. I know a lot of people think that if Padgett was a good coach he would have landed somewhere else. I think he was right for the program and Mack was a false idol. You hire someone like Beard and you just continue disrespecting the legacy of Crum.

It's not but just look at the football situation. We thought we sank as far as we could after BP's last year and it was obvious that CSS was not the answer and it was also apparent he was not going to be long term answer here. Bring in a guy with local ties and a relationship to the community. That's what separates Louisville and other head coaching jobs. You got to find a coach that wants to be here long term (like Denny) and not use Louisville as a stepping stone (CBP, CCS, John L, Corso). It's going to take someone who will be committed both to the University and the community. When you look at those criteria, there are really few options. Just for the record, I was in favor of keeping David Padgett instead of Chris Mack. I know a lot of people think that if Padgett was a good coach he would have landed somewhere else. I think he was right for the program and Mack was a false idol. You hire someone like Beard and you just continue disrespecting the legacy of Crum.
Ok those are some good points. On my end though, I just want to see a winning program. I'm done with the feel good stories and the legacy hires.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
UofL basketball has obviously fallen a bit but it's still a top 10 job. It's not the same as our football program. UofL basketball is a destination job and doesn't really require a coach with local ties.

UofL basketball has obviously fallen a bit but it's still a top 10 job. It's not the same as our football program. UofL basketball is a destination job and doesn't really require a coach with local ties.
Agreed. Fallen for sure but still a top program. Louisville basketball is a destination job.

Ok those are some good points. On my end though, I just want to see a winning program. I'm done with the feel good stories and the legacy hires.
Mack on paper seemed to be a homerun hire, but it was compounded by the fact, he (his wife) wanted to be here. Delve closer into his resume and he was seemingly a good hire, not a great hire. Payne was literally forced on us and there was nobody in the administration to say no, he just doesn't have the experience to be a HC. The only commonality is that he played here almost 37 years ago... The only connection really was to give a former Cardinal a head coaching job, not that he could restore U of L basketball back to prominence.

This is a mess. This is why KP hire was extremely risky. I always thought it would either be wildly successful or a huge failure. There was no middle ground. So far it has been a huge failure.

Now we are entering a phase of college basketball where they older coaches are settled. They may have to find a legit up and coming coach. Veteran coaches just don’t bounce any more if they do you have to have the $$$$ to buy them out and pay them handsomely,

Beard and May is where I would start.

Reactions: cardrock
This statement is a bit ambiguous. As a program, we still have a shred of national cred left. As a team and staff, in this moment in time, we really couldn’t be much lower. So, in that sense, we have fallen more than just a bit. We keep KP much longer and we risk whatever program respect we have left.

This statement is a bit ambiguous. As a program, we still have a shred of national cred left. As a team and staff, in this moment in time, we really couldn’t be much lower. So, in that sense, we have fallen more than just a bit. We keep KP much longer and we risk whatever program respect we have left.
I'm strictly talking the job itself. It's still one of the best and still desirable to many coaches IMO. I'm not saying UofL can get whoever they want though.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT