ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL My thoughts on the loss to SMU + more

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
I think where I want to start is that #9 is a dude, and it's going to be a real disappointment if the best QB play we have seen here in quite some time is wasted.

Credit to Jeff Brohm and company for nailing that evaluation out of the transfer portal, locking in on their guy, and getting him despite there being lots of questions about the decision to hone in on Shough.

Along those same lines, it'd also be a real disappointment to have that type of QB and as true of a No. 1 WR as you will see around the country in Jacorey Brooks.

With that said, this just isn't the offense I expected to see with Jeff Brohm at HC. For better or worse, it's just not really in the same vein as what he ran at WKU and Purdue.

I never thought I'd have to worry about too many predictable runs on key downs and distances. The fourth down play call that we saw on the potential game-tying drive that went for a big gain to Redman is closer to what I thought we'd see consistently. Why that play wasn't brought out sooner, I wish I knew.

When it comes to personnel, there's no good explanation as to why Don Chaney had the same amount of carries as Isaac Brown. If Chaney can't get you a yard when you need it on third and fourth down, I'm not sure what purpose he serves.

Again on personnel, I just simply don't understand why Mendoza continues to get chances. We've seen all that we need to see there. I've been saying this for a couple of weeks now, where is Renato Brown? He's started at tackle and guard for three years, including last year, and now he's not good enough to play a snap?

And unless I'm missing something, it's not due to injury because he played in garbage time the first two games.

And if not Brown, go the youth route. I know the staff is high on Joe Crocker, start developing young talent at this point.

Kick Gonzalez out to tackle and try someone else at guard.

Trevonte Sylvester came in as well and played alright, but he might be the skinniest offensive lineman I've ever seen. Most of the time he wears #97 to play TE.

Defensively, the organization, communication, all of that is self explanatory. Guys were looking at the sideline as the ball was being snapped on numerous, crucial plays.

The pass rush is PUTRID. At some point, Ashton Gillotte needs to sack the QB. I don't know if it's scheme, the way they are using him, or if it's on him, but the production just isn't there.

Maybe I missed them, but I don't recall any creative blitzes, any creative stunts, or anything of those sorts to try and disrupt Jennings.

I thought last week would be a wake up call for Jeff to really get in the defensive rooms and get on some people about the operation. It's a week late at this point, but I don't have any doubt that Jeff gave English and company a stern talking to after that performance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.