ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts on Brohm/the current situation

Chris Person

Oct 3, 2016
I know the Brohm news is a big let down to most and understandably so. What does this mean for the Louisville football program and where do we turn from here? Here are some thoughts I have on the situation as it currently sits.

- First and foremost, there is no way to sugarcoat Brohm turning down Louisville and how much that stings. He was the obvious choice for multiple reasons but moreso than just his connections to Trinity, UofL, and the city, Brohm coming to Louisville had much farther reaching implications. First and foremost, Brohm at Louisville almost certainly meant a HUGE recruiting swing in Louisville's favor, starting with guys like Milton Wright and Wandale Robinson. Now no matter who the next Louisville coach is, the possibility of those guys coming to Louisville is 0. Along with these specific recruits, Louisville's staff with Brohm at the helm would likely have been a recruiting machine. In fact, I know from very good sources that a couple former Louisville coaches who were phenomenal recruiters could have very well ended up on Brohm's staff. Finally, a Brohm coached team had current players and current recruits VERY excited. I've heard from a couple people that if Brohm did not take the job to expect additional transfers from Louisville. I can't verify that claim but it really wouldn't surprise me at all. Regardless, Brohm's turning down of the Louisville job may have hurt Louisvlle's long term outlook, but it almost certainly dealt a big blow in the short term.

- Purdue reportedly offered Brohm up to $6 million a year to stay there. I know there were a good amount of people insisting Tyra hand Brohm a blank check but let's put that into proportion. If Louisville would have matched Purdue's $6 million, Louisville would have been paying a coach with 2 years of power 5 experience only $200,000 less than what Dabo Swinney makes at Clemson. I think Brohm was definitely Louisville's top option but I would have a VERY hard time justifying paying a coach that much money.

- Where does Louisville turn from here? I know the reaction I am going to get from this but it needs to be said. If you are a Louisville fan that wants to win both on the recruiting trail and on the field, one of if not the top guy that needs to be considered is Neal Brown. I know it's a tough pill to swallow because of his UK connections but I think if we are going to go for the best possible coach at Louisville he HAS to be in consideration at the very least. Just because I write this does not say I want him to come here and that he is my choice, I just feel we need to remove the emotion and at least give him a fair shot. I'd hate to turn down Neal Brown and in 2-3 years look back and see what we missed because we weren't willing to put certain emotions aside.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News