ADVERTISEMENT

My Home Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing. Lots of courage and compassion by those men who stepped up to defend a Police Officer in distress. Great job men!

Reactions: SoulSr
I hope we make it a better place I am just not confident that will happen with all the lawless activity everyone is encouraging. I like what Herschel Walker did today. He offered free transportation to any country without police so they could see what they were going to be getting.

I hope we make it a better place I am just not confident that will happen with all the lawless activity everyone is encouraging. I like what Herschel Walker did today. He offered free transportation to any country without police so they could see what they were going to be getting.
I agree - that type of passive-agressive grandstanding is always super helpful. o_O

Another really helpful thing is to "defund" PD's so it's just completely passive while "looting for justice".o_O

There is no excuse for looting or destruction of property. People who take that path are breaking the law and distorting the power of their protest message.

Together we can make this an even better place for all Americans.

Peace. Go CARDS!

Reactions: gocds
Another really helpful thing is to "defund" PD's so it's just completely passive while "looting for justice".o_O
It’s a poorly worded slogan but, you do realize that “defunding” the police doesn’t mean abolishing police forces.

Don’t you?

No it means taking funds from them and giving those funds to unqualified idiots like social workers. They’re going to have social workers work in the field to diffuse violent criminals. I think the idiot Mayor Fischer has picked a head social worker to be in charge of other social workers. This will be like watching a cartoon only expect a lot of dead social workers.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
It’s a poorly worded slogan but, you do realize that “defunding” the police doesn’t mean abolishing police forces.

Don’t you?
I know words mean things.

They were saying “disband” until they realized how stupid it was. Then it became “defund”.

And if “defunding” is not so bad why are we worried about donations drying up and big boosters leaving?

Why is losing money for our athletics a bigger deal than public safety?

o_O:eek::confused:

Reactions: KozmasAgain
No it means taking funds from them and giving those funds to unqualified idiots like social workers. They’re going to have social workers work in the field to diffuse violent criminals. I think the idiot Mayor Fischer has picked a head social worker to be in charge of other social workers. This will be like watching a cartoon only expect a lot of dead social workers.
I have no idea what you do (did) for a living however I can only assume that you didn’t spend your educational experience - however meager - in the pursuit of anything related to the benefit of society, like those “unqualified idiot” social workers.

No one has suggested that social workers diffuse violent criminals - only that there are situations currently being dealt with by police that could have better outcomes if dealt with by people with a different skill set.

You sound like a supporter of law enforcement - do you really want them / think they are qualified to deal with all of the situations that they have to currently?

Reactions: WhatMeWorry
I know words mean things.

They were saying “disband” until they realized how stupid it was. Then it became “defund”.

And if “defunding” is not so bad why are we worried about donations drying up and big boosters leaving?

Why is losing money for our athletics a bigger deal than public safety?

o_O:eek::confused:
I have no problem with disbanding corrupt police departments - see how it worked for Camden, NJ.

Your analogy regarding police departments and college athletics is utterly sophomoric. Let me know when there are people taking to the streets - other than zipp - protesting collegiate athletic donations and then you might have a (wooden) leg to stand on.

I have no problem with disbanding corrupt police departments - see how it worked for Camden, NJ.

Your analogy regarding police departments and college athletics is utterly sophomoric. Let me know when there are people taking to the streets - other than zipp - protesting collegiate athletic donations and then you might have a (wooden) leg to stand on.
Gee I wish I was as smart as you.

Actually, it’s not sophomoric, as the best three years of my life was my Junior year.

Why do people have to “protest” for defunding? Are our missing “whales” not protesting without stealing and looting? They are protesting with their wallets. And MONEY is all that “matters” today.

You’re one sick puppy to think all PD’s are “corrupt” and need “fixing”. Most talking about doing it are Democrat controlled and have been for years.

But nobody wants to connect those dots to the founders of Jim Crow.

You’re not changing your mind, I’m not changing mine, and this is where we are in America today.

It probably won’t end well.

I’m done. Carry on.

Reactions: coachsales
Gee I wish I was as smart as you.

Actually, it’s not sophomoric, as the best three years of my life was my Junior year.

Why do people have to “protest” for defunding? Are our missing “whales” not protesting without stealing and looting? They are protesting with their wallets. And MONEY is all that “matters” today.

You’re one sick puppy to think all PD’s are “corrupt” and need “fixing”. Most talking about doing it are Democrat controlled and have been for years.

But nobody wants to connect those dots to the founders of Jim Crow.

You’re not changing your mind, I’m not changing mine, and this is where we are in America today.

It probably won’t end well.

I’m done. Carry on.
Perhaps you should ask some protesters about why they are protesting and what sort of reforms they would like to see. It might be helpful or instructive.

Nowhere did I say that all PDs were corrupt but, I do believe that there is corruption located within the vast majority of PDs. I would think that all Americans would want to see corruption rooted out of those institutions and it is apparent that in some of the departments - like in Camden - it needs to be a total overhaul.

Corruption is not simply confined to the “bad apple” cop - it is just as corrupt for the “good apple” to stay silent. Until that is eliminated, there can be no meaningful change.

BTW - I’ve changed my mind in this subject over the years by listening to others with more experience. That’s how we all learn - if we’re open to it.

I always like it when someone acts like they are smarter than other people. I graduated from the University if Maryland, I am a small business owner and I am a supporter of the police. I don’t have to ask the protesters why they are protesting I can see for myself. Most of them are vandalizing and stealing, wow what a civil rights statement they are making.

I think the police should have the money they need to function properly. If they want to put social workers in the field then all they have to do is raise taxes to fund them. As we all know the politicians are goodat Raising taxes.

I always like it when someone acts like they are smarter than other people. I graduated from the University if Maryland, I am a small business owner and I am a supporter of the police. I don’t have to ask the protesters why they are protesting I can see for myself. Most of them are vandalizing and stealing, wow what a civil rights statement they are making.

I think the police should have the money they need to function properly. If they want to put social workers in the field then all they have to do is raise taxes to fund them. As we all know the politicians are goodat Raising taxes.
You indicate that you have a problem with people who”act like they are smarter than other people” then spend the rest of your post doing exactly that.

I graduated from Centre College, own a small business and am a supporter of the police. Being a supporter doesn’t mean that you turn a blind eye to the problems- be they isolated or systemic. Being a supporter of the police means that I recognize that we ask them to do too much and by scaling that back, we can provide better training to them and put them, and the citizens they interact with, in less life and death situations.

Last edited:
In my post I only use one sentence to declare that I graduated from college. Could you explain how that is using my whole post to declare that I am smarter than everyone else. I only did that since you insinuated that I wasn’t educated.

In my post I only use one sentence to declare that I graduated from college. Could you explain how that is using my whole post to declare that I am smarter than everyone else. I only did that since you insinuated that I wasn’t educated.
I’d say the bit about you not needing to speak to others - in this case people protesting - to understand their experience because you can “see for yourself” fits the bill of feeling like you already have all the answers.

The part about “most” of the protesters being vandals and thieves is just silly and completely contrary to all reporting. The vast majority are protesting peacefully and trying to enact social change. Literally all meaningful social change (labor laws, right to vote, civil rights, etc) came about in this country as a direct result of Americans protesting.

So you’re analyzing my post to what you think it means you are so much smarter than everyone else on here. Of course you are completely wrong on your interpretation of my post. I guess you have been missing the news about how negative these protest are on black Americans.

They are reporting now that 50% of all small businesses owned by black Americans will not reopen. Since these good people protesting for change are vandalizing mostly black owned businesses.

So you’re analyzing my post to what you think it means you are so much smarter than everyone else on here. Of course you are completely wrong on your interpretation of my post. I guess you have been missing the news about how negative these protest are on black Americans.

They are reporting now that 50% of all small businesses owned by black Americans will not reopen. Since these good people protesting for change are vandalizing mostly black owned businesses.
No, I’m analyzing your post based upon the words it contains. If my interpretation is incorrect, then I’ll ask you for further clarification on my misunderstanding.

I have no idea of my relative intelligence related to others here and honestly I’m not sure why it would matter in either extreme.

What I haven’t missed - is the news on how the need for the protests are a negative reflection on America. Perhaps it is you who has missed the reasons as to why these millions of Americans feel the need to take to the streets to demonstrate and call for reform. What am I saying? You’ve already stated you don’t need to hear from them - you’ve already figured it out.

So that I don’t misinterpret your post again, please tell me how the current protests are negative on black Americans. Don’t forget to juxtapose that negativity with the circumstances that have led to the protests.

Not sure which right wing talking point you are parroting but the reality is that The majority of those black owned businesses that you reference are not reopening due to the pandemic - not looting.

Like a bunch of white owned businesses.

At the beginning I thought there was a positive message in the protest. If you watched the news you would now see they are rioting more than protesting. Breaking in to stores and stealing merchandise. Most of the damage is done in areas where they live and will suffer from their actions.
It is incredible to me that you have missed all that, what liberal network are you watching. You really need to stop trying to reinterpret other peoples words and twist them into what you think they are.

There are some good points in this thread, and of course none of us will have an answer, or make a difference, but to add to it...

I’m curious how many people who wish for more “training” have ever been in a life or death situation, or THOUGHT they were, with another person or persons, in a non military/combat situation.

The military is nothing but constant training until there is combat somewhere. This why they are good at what they do. But even they have instances of over aggressiveness, and even cowardice when fighting starts.

The PD’s haven’t the time, or money to “train” this much. The PDs would have to be twice as big in order to have full street coverage. Half on the street. Half in training.

Taxes would skyrocket. Working people would wig...and MONEY would once again be the factor.

The training the PD does is basic in the fact that they know, no matter what happens, nobody will be hurt. No “live fire” exercises. Hand to hand training ends when you “tap out”. Nobody hurt.

So we take “kids” who because of a background check are “good”, never been in any kind of trouble, give them a badge and a gun and send them into the roughest parts of cities and tell them to enforce the law.

What could possibly go wrong?

99.5% of the time it STILL goes right, but in that scenario there are going to be screwups.

I don’t know the answer to avoid screwups.

Reactions: SoulSr
At the beginning I thought there was a positive message in the protest. If you watched the news you would now see they are rioting more than protesting. Breaking in to stores and stealing merchandise. Most of the damage is done in areas where they live and will suffer from their actions.
It is incredible to me that you have missed all that, what liberal network are you watching. You really need to stop trying to reinterpret other peoples words and twist them into what you think they are.
I didn’t miss the reporting of the rioting and looting - but 99% of that happened in the first 2-3 days of the protests. There will always be people that take advantage of unrest to tear things up or steal and no one condones their actions - particularly the overwhelming majority of people protesting peacefully. When is the last time you saw reporting of looting? Do you consider toppling a statue an example of rioting?

If you feel that your words have been misinterpreted - I’ve said several times - clear up my misunderstanding. I obtain information via several outlets - ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, WaPo, WSJ, NYT to name a few. I will also watch Fox’s news division coverage - as Baier and Wallace are excellent. I don’t watch MSNBC or any of the 8-11 opinion shows on Fox as they as worthless as getting information from facebook.

I do object to them toppling statues because it is a form of vandalism. If you want something removed you go through the proper channels. In some instances they have but in most cases they haven’t. Lawlessness is not good in any society. I guess some think that if your neighbor puts up something that was offensive to you it is ok to go and vandalize his property.

The funny thing about most of the statues they are tearing down is that most of them were Democrats. However they probably don’t know that since they don’t teach history in public schools anymore. In regards to police in dangerous situations they have less than 4 seconds to react. If they don’t more than likely it will end in them losing their life.
If they are so bad at their jobs why don’t you go out and do better. Maybe you can tell your children to go out and be a police officer. If you do make sure you tell them you love them before they go to work in the morning. It might be the last time you see them.

I do object to them toppling statues because it is a form of vandalism. If you want something removed you go through the proper channels. In some instances they have but in most cases they haven’t. Lawlessness is not good in any society. I guess some think that if your neighbor puts up something that was offensive to you it is ok to go and vandalize his property.

The funny thing about most of the statues they are tearing down is that most of them were Democrats. However they probably don’t know that since they don’t teach history in public schools anymore. In regards to police in dangerous situations they have less than 4 seconds to react. If they don’t more than likely it will end in them losing their life.
If they are so bad at their jobs why don’t you go out and do better. Maybe you can tell your children to go out and be a police officer. If you do make sure you tell them you love them before they go to work in the morning. It might be the last time you see them.
Not sure why it is you think that history is no longer taught in schools but, I’m not really interested in going down that rabbit hole right now. What scenario are you describing with your “4 seconds” comment? That certainly doesn’t describe the George Floyd situation. In fact, the vast majority of interactions don’t have that component at all - they are lengthy encounters where there are multiple opportunities for things to be de-escalated rather than escalated.

Wanting bad police officers out does not necessitate me becoming a cop - that’s a false choice. Citizens have every right to demand that their public servants be the best that they can be. And, there are plenty of people in our society that (rightfully) tell their children that they love them and to be wary of police officers - lest it be the last time they see them. The “us vs. them” mentality that many cops have is what has to be eliminated.

The George Floyd incident involved a bad cop without a doubt but I don’t think it was a racial incident. There were 4 police officers there, two white police officers, one Asian police officer an one African American officer. George Floyd and the police officer involved knew each other they worked security together at nightclubs for several years. Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta was a situation where the incident turned into a dangerous situation because of Brooks not the police.

In regards to what schools teach now most don’t teach history or geography anymore they teach cultural diversity courses instead. The 4 second rule was from an article in Memphis, this is the length of time an officer has to make a life or death decision. A friend of mine that lived in my neighborhood in the late 80’s was a police officer, he pulled a car over that was speeding. When he approached the car he was shot in the stomach and the bullet went all the way through and severed his spine. He is now in a wheelchair but he went back to school and received his law degree. The article based on the 4 second rule was written after his shooting, it is what police officers are taught while going through training.

I want bad police officers out I have had my experience with bad police officers over the years both white and black. Years ago Memphis had a great police department but things changed when they lowered the requirements to be a police officer so you now have an inferior product compared to what you used to have. Citizens do have a right to demand better police officers and bad ones should be fired but incidents like George Floyd don’t happen as often as it is made out to be.

In 2019, 8 African Americans were killed by police officers and said to be unarmed. The same year 19 white Americans were killed by police officers and said to be unarmed. The same year 89 police officers were killed in the line of duty. In all cases with the exception of 3 the supposedly unarmed suspect did not have a gun on him but went for a gun nearby. They were shot and killed before they could obtain the gun so it was classified that they were unarmed.

You have a better chance of being hit by lightning as to be killed by the PD.

Regardless your race.

But start drinking, stealing, abusing, or generally acting up, get the PD called on you, then fight, run, or resist arrest, those are the .000009% who have a problem.

But that doesn’t Fit the narrative.

The George Floyd incident involved a bad cop without a doubt but I don’t think it was a racial incident. There were 4 police officers there, two white police officers, one Asian police officer an one African American officer. George Floyd and the police officer involved knew each other they worked security together at nightclubs for several years. Rayshard Brooks in Atlanta was a situation where the incident turned into a dangerous situation because of Brooks not the police.

In regards to what schools teach now most don’t teach history or geography anymore they teach cultural diversity courses instead. The 4 second rule was from an article in Memphis, this is the length of time an officer has to make a life or death decision. A friend of mine that lived in my neighborhood in the late 80’s was a police officer, he pulled a car over that was speeding. When he approached the car he was shot in the stomach and the bullet went all the way through and severed his spine. He is now in a wheelchair but he went back to school and received his law degree. The article based on the 4 second rule was written after his shooting, it is what police officers are taught while going through training.

I want bad police officers out I have had my experience with bad police officers over the years both white and black. Years ago Memphis had a great police department but things changed when they lowered the requirements to be a police officer so you now have an inferior product compared to what you used to have. Citizens do have a right to demand better police officers and bad ones should be fired but incidents like George Floyd don’t happen as often as it is made out to be.

In 2019, 8 African Americans were killed by police officers and said to be unarmed. The same year 19 white Americans were killed by police officers and said to be unarmed. The same year 89 police officers were killed in the line of duty. In all cases with the exception of 3 the supposedly unarmed suspect did not have a gun on him but went for a gun nearby. They were shot and killed before they could obtain the gun so it was classified that they were unarmed.
Where are you getting your data? In 2019 - there were 235 black Americans shot (370 white Americans) and killed by police and the issue isn’t whether the police said after the fact if they were armed - the issue is whether or not that they were doing anything that would justify police using lethal force. Rashard Brooks was not armed with lethal force - nor was he in a position to kill those officers and yet, they shot and killed him. That’s murder and the officer was rightfully charged. If you can’t look at the statistics and anecdotal evidence and see that law enforcement treats white Americans and black Americans differently, I don’t know what to tell you.

The belief that cultural diversity curriculum has replaced history and geography such that those subjects aren’t taught anymore is just completely incorrect.

You have a better chance of being hit by lightning as to be killed by the PD.

Regardless your race.

But start drinking, stealing, abusing, or generally acting up, get the PD called on you, then fight, run, or resist arrest, those are the .000009% who have a problem.

But that doesn’t Fit the narrative.
On average 250 people are struck by lightning with 50 of them being fatalities. Compare that to more than 1000 Americans killed by police each year.

Tell me the narrative again?

My numbers are based on how many we’re killed and considered unarmed, not how many were killed. Those numbers you have are really small when you consider how many altercations and arrest are made.

I agree with Rollem Cards what is going on right now is about the narrative. If you want to get a reality check on crime google crime in the United States based on demographics.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
My numbers are based on how many we’re killed and considered unarmed, not how many were killed. Those numbers you have are really small when you consider how many altercations and arrest are made.
Is it possible that your numbers are coming from the completely discredited interview that rudy guliani gave to fox news? Either way - they’re incorrect - more than 50 unarmed people were killed by police in 2019. I will agree that given the 10 million arrests made each year - a crazy high number particularly when such a high percentage of them result in no charges ultimately being filed - most numbers will look small.

I agree with Rollem Cards what is going on right now is about the narrative. If you want to get a reality check on crime google crime in the United States based on demographics.
Why don’t you just tell me about the “reality check” that you’re talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT