ADVERTISEMENT

Mr basketball in Kentucky

You'll see metro areas in deep shaded blue....and the rest of the state in strong red. Opposite colors of the basketball equation.
It hasn't always been like this in Kentucky. In other words,the hate pre-dates the red vs. blue political phenomena.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
The hate pre-dates liberalism,big city crime and small vs. big.
The date was around 1971,when one Dennis Crum came to town and started to push for some space.
<<<<<<< THIS! >>>>>>
I never heard an ill word toward the City of Louisville until this interloper from California came in here and refused to accept the status quo. He dared to call his mixed-raced freshman class as good as the all-white SuperKittens and all heck broke loose. I remember it well, as I was among those taking umbrage at his comments at the time. The city's reputation started to be equated with the BB team out in the sticks.

Fortunately, I became educated. Farm raised, I live in a thriving suburban area with many amenities, but I frequently visit Louisville for entertainment. OTOH Lexington has a gun shop and little else I can't find locally.

Whats liberal got to do with anything ?
There arent and conservatives in Metro Louisville ?
Conversely, there arent any 'liberals' in the small towns ?

Kentucky has 120 counties.
Every crime committed in Jefferson county is replicated in the other 119. EVERY CRIME. Its just on a smaller scale.

Youre speaking with a forked tongue.
He didn’t state those as facts he said that’s how people view ANY big city not just Louisville.

As much as I like hammering slapd!cks, I have nothing against the good people in the State of KY. I used to feel like many in this thread--nothing good lies outside Jefferson County.

The issue NOW is that many people in Kentucky outside of Jefferson County support U of L, and in increasing numbers. You can't broadly say what you used to say accurately.

Let's confine our disdain more appropriately to slappies inside or outside of Jefferson County. For one thing, they're easier to recognize...

Screen-Shot-2013-11-14-at-101512-AM_zps260100df.jpg

As much as I like hammering slapd!cks, I have nothing against the good people in the State of KY. I used to feel like many in this thread--nothing good lies outside Jefferson County.

The issue NOW is that many people in Kentucky outside of Jefferson County support U of L, and in increasing numbers. You can't broadly say what you used to say accurately.

Let's confine our disdain more appropriately to slappies inside or outside of Jefferson County. For one thing, they're easier to recognize...

Screen-Shot-2013-11-14-at-101512-AM_zps260100df.jpg
A bit of a stretch to insinuate that the card fan numbers are swelling in other parts of the state. I mean, maybe a little I guess. I’m sure you have some charts and graphs all ready to go so go ahead and post it.

A bit of a stretch to insinuate that the card fan numbers are swelling in other parts of the state. I mean, maybe a little I guess. I’m sure you have some charts and graphs all ready to go so go ahead and post it.
Dang it’s obvious if you just get out of your hillbilly mentality. I moved back to KY in 2014 and live just outside of Frankfort. I see a lot of cars everyday with U of L stuff and I even know of at least 6 neighbors who are Card fans. I was even in Jackson, KY yesterday and pulled up next to a truck with a cardinal license plate.

Dang it’s obvious if you just get out of your hillbilly mentality. I moved back to KY in 2014 and live just outside of Frankfort. I see a lot of cars everyday with U of L stuff and I even know of at least 6 neighbors who are Card fans. I was even in Jackson, KY yesterday and pulled up next to a truck with a cardinal license plate.
On the other side of the coin there are more cat fans in Louisville than ever before. Stop with the hillbilly stuff you don’t know me

It's not diverse because it's military driven, those people live in the southern part of the county in Oak Grove. I went to an elementary school where it was only 40% white, try to find that anywhere in the state outside of L'Ville and Lex. Being mixed race myself, I've learned all about the proud African-American history in our city post civil-war.

Compare it to surrounding towns like an Elkton or a Cadiz...those are what I consider small-towns. They still have town squares...their kids grow up in school together from kindergarten through graduation....they don't have many chain stores or fast-food places...Hoptown isn't big...but I'd consider it just an average to below average city and not a small town.
Etown and Bowling Green both still have town squares and are considered bigger than Hoptown. And just because there are 3 schools in the entire county instead of 1 doesn’t make it a big town. I remember when the first deployments were made and the city’s population dropped by 25-40%

The New York Times does... LINK

I always enjoy looking at this graphic, and I've done a little analysis behind it. For example, in the yellow and white Kentucky zip codes surrounding Louisville, there's around 600 thousand U of L fans.

That doesn't include the Indiana counties and the light blue Kentucky counties. There are many U of L fans south of Louisville, thru Bowling Green, all the way thru the center of the State until Tennessee picks up the difference. In our lifetimes, you may see WKU, Louisville and Tennessee effectively bisect the State.

And that's too many U of L fans for me to say everyone outside of Louisville sucks...

And I have nothing against those folks as well,but let's remind ourselves of what came first...the chicken or the egg.

And I have nothing against those folks as well,but let's remind ourselves of what came first...the chicken or the egg.
One lesson I learned a long time ago is that when someone decides they want to be on your team and they're genuine, you need to let them...

Reactions: earsky
The New York Times does... LINK

I always enjoy looking at this graphic, and I've done a little analysis behind it. For example, in the yellow and white Kentucky zip codes surrounding Louisville, there's around 600 thousand U of L fans.

That doesn't include the Indiana counties and the light blue Kentucky counties. There are many U of L fans south of Louisville, thru Bowling Green, all the way thru the center of the State until Tennessee picks up the difference. In our lifetimes, you may see WKU, Louisville and Tennessee effectively bisect the State.

And that's too many U of L fans for me to say everyone outside of Louisville sucks...
It looks about how I’d expect it to. Pretty neat graphic actually. Interesting. I’m not sure it flows along with the tv ratings for the games. There have been cases this season of UK games drawing higher ratings in Louisville than that of the Louisville game on the same day at the same time. At the end of the day we are probably just chasing our tails. Thanks again for the cool graphic.

Tandy and Johnson are the best 2 players in the state. Both had to put up their numbers against a lot of D1 players in their own cities.

Pendleton County was playing teams with really no one who could guard Allen. Tandy and Johnson would've easily averaged 40 against that schedule.

Agreed. I believe any of the 3 could score 40 if that's what their offense was based around. Trinity is actually good without DJ. They didn't make it all about him scoring wise. That's why Allen's team went 10-18 this year since he got hurt. He was their only hope. I think Allen is a good player, but he's ranked 3rd in the state behind DJ and Tandy. When you have 2 other D1 players in the state, it's pretty wrong to just blatantly ignore them. Level of competition, quality of team as a whole, and overall skillset were not taken into account with this voting.

If it's really about best player then Damien Harris should've won it his senior year, but instead he only played 3 games and the people that vote said it wasn't enough. But here we are bending the rules yet again. Allen played 13 games.

We all know Wandale committed to Uk for the award. The sad thing is that he had to do that even though he's the best player in the state this year regardless.

Who cares where the kid goes, just give him what he deserves. Snider won it because the talent level across the state wasn't great his year. Went from Top 40 to Top 150. Thus, no one was looked at by Uk.

Last edited:
Nothing would separate the Kentucky and Louisville fans out in the state of Kentucky like a NY times article. Great find zip. I’m sure they poured a lot of resources into deciding where the Louisville fans are in the state

Didn't Zipp's article cover fans of all teams around the country? And not just UofL/UK? I didn't get a chance to get the link and review.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT