ADVERTISEMENT

Moxie

This group is developing this trait. I do think it is something that is developed,not given. These guys have taken some lumps.

Ok,maybe not so much today.We can't seem to get out of our own way sometimes defensively.

Offensively,looking at strike 3 while swinging at pitches in the dirt is a concern.

Reactions: PHCARD
Bobby Miller pitched a gem. Sad that the Cards couldn’t hold on losing 2-1 in the rubber match. Won’t show up in the box score but 4 baserunning errors including 2 at home plate resulted in this loss, not Detmers giving up back to back RBI hits.

Reactions: earsky and PHCARD
Gut punch yesterday. Actually, a gut punch series. To blow leads like that. Gar! And there was so much momentum. Time to regroup.

Reactions: earsky
If ever a team needed it,last night was it. Great game capped by a great 9th inning comeback,with Wyatt and Stowers leading the charge.

Btw, Indiana St has a really nice looking ball club.

Yep, no offense today. As many errors as hits. Miller pitched well again but like last week, bullpen, Hoeing and Smiddy could not close out the win. On to a midweek game vs Vanderbilt and then to Boston College. Cards need to get in a groove.

It was there for the taking after Friday's comeback. Idk...but as I've said, the top will have to get going for any success going forward.

I'm guessing Detmers against Vandy. A real shot at a quality road win with this up and comer...if he gets some help.

In a span of one week, the Cards have lost the game in the 9th inning twice. That's not good. I suppose Vandy is a winnable game. They are somewhat down this year. But, I don't think our guys are ready yet.

Good RPI win last night against Vanderbilt. Detmers was solid but as in a few games lately bullpen was shaky allowing Vandy to score some late runs. This time we had enough cushion.

Yep, I don't think the bullpen is solid enough to sustain a deep run without that offensive production.
I've got my fingers crossed the O gets going.

Yep, I don't think the bullpen is solid enough to sustain a deep run without that offensive production.
I've got my fingers crossed the O gets going.
Well, I guess Bordner is having some arm issues. If we can get him back, that might make a big difference. The biggest difference between this team and in years past, is that we do have more quality arms but not the dominant relief pitching. Also this team is not as fundamentally sound having made over 50 errors and that doesn’t include baserunning gaffes. We also don’t have that 15 HR power guy but a few guys that do have pop. This bodes better when you get (if you get) to Omaha with the large field. The main ingredient is pitching and we do have 4-5 quality starters.

I've witnessed several games lately,where the opposing team has let their starters go 100 plus pitches,despite some rough innings. So,yeah I can see that coming into play with this group going forward.

I've witnessed several games lately,where the opposing team has let their starters go 100 plus pitches,despite some rough innings. So,yeah I can see that coming into play with this group going forward.
Well that is one my pet peeves but unfortunately we are not exclusive in this practice. I have always felt that Williams lets his pitchers throw too many pitches. Funkhouser comes to mind. Recently Bobby Miller threw 121 pitches and wolf has thrown 115.

Good RPI win last night against Vanderbilt. Detmers was solid but as in a few games lately bullpen was shaky allowing Vandy to score some late runs. This time we had enough cushion.

Pleasantly surprised the Cards got that win. Let's go sweep BC.

Ugh. Cards drop the last game to Boston College who I think is 7-20 in the conference. Still got a great performance from Miller, just couldn’t score any runs losing 2-1. Last I heard the Cards are one of the last teams in as an at large but can’t keep losing games like this one.

Ugh. Cards drop the last game to Boston College who I think is 7-20 in the conference. Still got a great performance from Miller, just couldn’t score any runs losing 2-1. Last I heard the Cards are one of the last teams in as an at large but can’t keep losing games like this one.

Well, the Cards did win the series. That would have been far worse, had they not. Regarding projections, the Cards are shown here in the Greenville Regional. Nice opportunity tomorrow against Wright State, who is also projected to be in the post season. They have a good squad.

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/baseball/bracketology

Reactions: earsky
I'm hearing IU, but it depends on how UK finishes their season.
Well UK beat IU last night 7-6 but don’t know how that factors in. I would prefer a bracket like the one above. Think we could handle ECU and LSU is struggling a bit but always dangerous.

I'm not quite sold on this group, but I'm looking really hard. Great win last night after blowing the 4-1 lead.
I'm with mac though, that it's about getting hot and at the right time. There are some guys that have had struggles that seem to be heating up with the bats. There is enough talent to get me sold.

Stay tuned..
We'll get a better idea next week..

I will say that I got screwed on my hat with the time change. Not too happy about that...
Especially after missing only 2 games all year.

I'm not quite sold on this group, but I'm looking really hard. Great win last night after blowing the 4-1 lead.
I'm with mac though, that it's about getting hot and at the right time. There are some guys that have had struggles that seem to be heating up with the bats. There is enough talent to get me sold.

Stay tuned..
We'll get a better idea next week..
They definitely have the starting pitching to do well in the regionals, but their hitting, defense and bullpen have to be more consistent.

Great comeback win today by the Cards against ND. Miller wasn’t sharp but Stowers crushed 2 HR’s. The last one, a 3 run HR that allowed the cards to take the lead and McAvenue get his 2nd save. Good, gritty win on Senior Day!

Reactions: Deeva and earsky
Wow, what a great game, maybe the best I've seen this season.
There's a few more pieces to add to the mix, but one of those got going this weekend... Snider.

Reactions: PHCARD
I'll give Bobby one bad game. His mind/body must have known,hey it's not Sunday. The umpire behind home plate was all over the place.

Yep, I've got Miller as a piece that 's not missing. He has been exceptional since early April.

Reactions: Deeva
I was thinking about the title of this thread and went to examine synonyms of the word moxie.

Heart was smack in the middle of a fairly long list of words that define characteristics of winners.

These somewhat overlooked individuals have overcome their deficiencies to become a unit.

Their best is yet to come, and it's because their desire to win has pushed everything else aside.

Heart is synonymous with desire. You don't care about anything but the W..

A few thoughts from today's game. Too many walks, too many errors. We play so stupid at times. Shouldn't have been in that game. Frustrating. Oh, well. We were never going to host. Let's go!

A few thoughts from today's game. Too many walks, too many errors. We play so stupid at times. Shouldn't have been in that game. Frustrating. Oh, well. We were never going to host. Let's go!
I agree. It’s amazing that we were in the game with all the walks and errors. We’re still a young team but can be dangerous. I hope Bordner is able to pitch in the regionals.

Great to see some guys get going on offense. Man, if the guys can close up those things that were mentioned in the posts, we're really close.

Hats off to FSU though. They really keep the pressure on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT