ADVERTISEMENT

More evidence of ESPN’s bias towards SEC

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
UK lost the weekend series at home to unranked Tx A&M, but only dropped 2 spots in the poll. While on the other hand, UL was swept on the road by Duke (just entered the top 20 poll), and dropped 9 spots in the poll.

Not suggesting that UL’s performance was worthy of any better than its #21 ranking given its trend, but UK dropping just 2 spots in comparison was not coincidental, as it has huge consequences when determine the schools that will be hosting NCAA a tournament.

Most would acknowledge that UL was playing at IU, and at Duke without two of it’s best hitters and arguably the most critical defenders in their respective positions; something the pollsters considered early in the rankings when Vanderbilt and other SEC a teams were playing without a few of their injured starters. By the way, Vandy lost a weekend game to Tennessee, giving up 17 runs but only dropped two spots in the same poll.

Despite the obvious SEC bias at ESPN, they still have a huge influence in NCAA selection of host schools for the tournament ……. just watch how many SEC schools enjoy the huge advantage when given the host role this year!

Reactions: Deeva
Cards also lost the 3 games by one run each, two being walk off losses. About as close to winning as a team can get on the road.

It's old news about the SEC and I'm about done with it all.

It may be the biggest single influence on our seeding in the tournament, and chances for advancement. The ACC had better start taking this seriously if they ever expect to compete with the SEC with equality.

We're 1-6 in our last 7 games. We have a home loss to 142nd ranked Lipscomb this month. We have a 3-8 road record. We're 2-4 in ACC series. UK is 24-9 in Quad 1 & 2 games. UofL is 12-11 with a nasty Quad 4 home loss.

ESPN isn't keeping us from where we need to be.

The season is not over Jhectus, UK could very well experience the same negative trend as they proceed forward. The point I am making is that UL, IU and UK are each in the same "ballpark" in terms of geography and potential for hosting in the tournament.

I would further point out, that most all of your statistics were already in place one week ago, when UL was rated #11 and UK was #12.

As I stated in my earlier post; UL is unworthy at this point of anything better than its 21st ranking. However, when you compare the 2-spot drop by ESPN after UK lost the series 2 games to 1 at home to an unranked TX A&M; it suggests to me that ESPN treated UK much more favorably.

It is no coincidence that ESPN has a total of 7 SEC teams in their top 25, yet 5 or in the coveted top 7 places that suggest optimum hosting seeds. Conversely, the ACC has 6 teams in the ESPN top 25, yet only 1 in the top 8 coveted spots.

Its easy to see bias when you want bias to be there. You're looking at UK and U of L as if they represent all of the SEC and ACC baseball. Look at the last five years, SEC has won NC 4 out of 5 of those. I'm sorry but the SEC is the strongest conference in baseball and its not close. LSU is probably the front runner this year and who could forget that UT was the paper NCAA champion last year...

Just win games...

Last note - ESPN does not publish their own college baseball rankings. They are only linking and adding commentary to the rankings provided by D1Baseball.com

I am on what I believe is the ESPN website that shows the baseball scores, news and rankings. There is no mention of D1 Baseball.com, or for that matter any reference to other ones.

I do not doubt you; just telling you what I am looking at now and have been following for years. It is identified as a big red E?

Right before the rankings are listed here it references D1Baseball.com as the source.

Anyways, it doesn’t matter now! Huge win for good guys tonight. Hope they take this effort into a more important home series this weekend!

Yes, I see that now. Interestingly, my “E” makes no mention of D1 Baseball, and while identical in content, it appears to be formatted differently in my Apple I-Pad than what I see in your screenshot.

As you say, it was a great night for UL, for the fans and more importantly for this roster. One of the best executed games of the year. The speed in our outfield last night reminded me of just how talented they are.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT