ADVERTISEMENT

Miranda going to NC State

He is coming in early and may declare for the draft next year.

I am not disagreeing with your statement but this recruit is a gamble.

He is coming in early and may declare for the draft next year.

I am not disagreeing with your statement but this recruit is a gamble.
Conan Obrien Ugh GIF by Team Coco

Issue for Kenny is he doesn't have any clout with the higher end guys.

Could write a novel, just not worth it.

As is, this is a disaster until further notice.

Find us some good news and I am all for getting onboard with it. Until then....

It's really kind a funny that fans actually believe KP has some kind of recruiting magic dust that everytime a high rated recruit goes somewhere else, KP is a failure. There is a lot of great schools a recruit can choose from and to look at Louisville today and expect them to come here because KP is the coach is ridiculous. It may have been sold to Cards fans like that but it was ridiculous then as it is now.

It's really kind a funny that fans actually believe KP has some kind of recruiting magic dust that everytime a high rated recruit goes somewhere else, KP is a failure. There is a lot of great schools a recruit can choose from and to look at Louisville today and expect them to come here because KP is the coach is ridiculous. It may have been sold to Cards fans like that but it was ridiculous then as it is now.

This was the last highly ranked guy out there that we were in contact with. Recently pundits had us as the “leader” for his services. Not sure what’s ridiculous about being disappointed that we just missed on a big time guy we had a shot with.

Reactions: Cardiac Red
This was the last highly ranked guy out there that we were in contact with. Recently pundits had us as the “leader” for his services. Not sure what’s ridiculous about being disappointed that we just missed on a big time guy we had a shot with.
You didn't say disappointed. You used the word pathetic. I'm disappointed he chose elsewhere, but I again disagree that it's pathetic that KP couldn't land him.

I'm not sure where we go from here. Hopefully Kenny will do well with the Portal this summer. At some point he has to bring in some talent or we are probably going to remain in a distant last place in P5. Hope he can work it out.

No need to split hairs over semantics.

I do agree "pathetic" doesn't really fit the recruiting situation. "Disappointed" doesn't really fit either, at least not for me.

I'd be disappointed if I had some hope Kenny was going to pull a high end guy right now. Did anyone think this guy was coming here? I didn't. If he was, he would have signed awhile ago.

It seems clear Kenny doesn't have any "magic dust" (stealing that one!) to pull these high end guys, they aren't buying whatever he's selling. One by one they are opting for another spot, and that was prior to the humiliating product that is on the court was revealed. Yes this happens to all regimes, but when you are a start-up program (that's what this is now) it stands out a little more than if you're not.

If the worm turns great. I'm pulling for Kenny. But I don't think pointing out this is a full throttle disaster on all levels is an incorrect analysis.

Last edited:

I get it another example of this staff missing on a guy they wanted. A coach that was suppose to land players can’t land players that is a major problem.

I am just not going to worry about a kid that would of had zero impact on this years team.

I'm not sure where we go from here. Hopefully Kenny will do well with the Portal this summer. At some point he has to bring in some talent or we are probably going to remain in a distant last place in P5. Hope he can work it out.

Mike I'm not trying to single you out here because I heard this from several others about getting new talent via the portal. My question to you or anyone else would be...why do we think the results would be any different? Assuming we land the absolute best thats out there via the portal, what does it matter if KP can't coach and develop these young men?

Cal/Kentucky had the #1 overall recruiting class in 2020. They proceeded to go 9-16 with that group. The next year (2021) they had the #2 overall class and they lost to a 15 seed. We've all known for a long time Cal can recruit but struggles in the X's and O's department. Unfortunately, KP has been even worse in that area and I feel like 90% of our fanbase can see that. Recruiting is a relatively easy fix but "learning how to coach" is not going to transpire in one year. KP has played college basketball at a high level, been on the bench coaching for a long time in both college and NBA....if it hasn't clicked by now it never will.

Other than facilities, I can’t think of one reason if I were a high level recruit, that I would come to play for this staff.

Mike I'm not trying to single you out here because I heard this from several others about getting new talent via the portal. My question to you or anyone else would be...why do we think the results would be any different? Assuming we land the absolute best thats out there via the portal, what does it matter if KP can't coach and develop these young men?
I think Kenny will coach here next year unless he walks on his own. I don't think we're going to spend $10M to buy him out. Based on that, the main way I can see to improve the team is by upgrading talent, especially guards. I think the team would get better with better guards even without great coaching.

I think Kenny will coach here next year unless he walks on his own. I don't think we're going to spend $10M to buy him out. Based on that, the main way I can see to improve the team is by upgrading talent, especially guards. I think the team would get better with better guards even without great coaching.
Well, if it gets as bad as it unbelievably seems to be, 10 million will be raised. There is simply no way KP could stay on if the Cards are 3 and 27 and the Yum center deserted.

No one involved in this wants to believe the blowouts will continue and not stop, including KP. Somewhere on the schedule if they can win 6 out of 12 games and finish 10 and 20, the pressure would ease and he would be back.

But that appears to be one mighty if!

Well, just my opinion, but I don't think we're spending $10M to buy Kenny out at the end of the year, no matter what. If I'm proven wrong it won't be the first time and feel free to bump the thread and call me out. I'll own it.

I think he's 100% back next year unless he decides to walk himself, or if there's a major scandal.

I just hope he helps himself out by killing it in the Portal. I'm not too optimistic, but just hopeful for the best.

Well, just my opinion, but I don't think we're spending $10M to buy Kenny out at the end of the year, no matter what. If I'm proven wrong it won't be the first time and feel free to bump the thread and call me out. I'll own it.

I think he's 100% back next year unless he decides to walk himself, or if there's a major scandal.

I just hope he helps himself out by killing it in the Portal. I'm not too optimistic, but just hopeful for the best.
I'm leaning to agreeing with you.

Let's not forget we don't need only $10M either, we'd then be required to pony up and pay a hefty buyout for whoever our target is, who if they are coaching in college now would certainly have a big buyout themselves. And then you'd have to increase their pay more than likely from whatever it is.

It just feels like it's a lot of $ to be thinking we have laying around or can raise. Especially when you review we just took the very cheap path on hiring Payne, he had no buyout from the Knicks and he's not getting near the salary we'd need for a desired HC we might try hiring this time.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
I'm leaning to agreeing with you.

Let's not forget we don't need only $10M either, we'd then be required to pony up and pay a hefty buyout for whoever our target is, who if they are coaching in college now would certainly have a big buyout themselves. And then you'd have to increase their pay more than likely from whatever it is.

It just feels like it's a lot of $ to be thinking we have laying around or can raise. Especially when you review we just took the very cheap path on hiring Payne, he had no buyout from the Knicks and he's not getting near the salary we'd need for a desired HC we might try hiring this time.

I say this jokingly because it aint happening but Iona's coach doesn't have buyout in his contract

• Love
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood
I say this jokingly because it aint happening but Iona's coach doesn't have buyout in his contract
You don't have to talk me into it! Give him a call I'm on board!

But yeah for example a guy like Nate Oates I think has a $10M buyout though I haven't researched that.

So hypothetically, if you want to cut Payne loose end of yr, you got to pay him $10M. Now I know fans think you can negotiate that, but it seems like it was negotiated to what it is for this reason.

So $10M + $10M + new salary for Oates, would probably need to be a raise. He's only in at $2.5M. So you need to offer at least $3M. Then you gotta be ready for Alabama to counter so you could end up needing to bid on him to something like $5M. So you could need roughly $25M for his services.

Then you'd need to also be sure he'd take it.

Then you'd have to hope he didn't suck.

Just one example.

@the artist FKA zipp how we doing on the $???

There is no way KP gets a full buyout when is goes. If he does, he should be charged with grand larceny.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT