ADVERTISEMENT

Miami & Louisville have easiest path in 2017

Let us remember that all of this is that writer's opinion. Well we all got opinions, noses and rectums. This is exactly the kind of schedule we wanted 5 or 10 years ago. Now some of you are bitching about it just because some "expert" says it's so. Oh please!

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

LOL at people saying this schedule sucks. (Especially preseason)

OOC could use some work, but the conference is legit. UKy is an in state rival, and Purdue just got a significant upgrade in coaching. We are playing Alabama next year, but weren't fortunate enough to get a marquis game like that this season. It happens.

Reactions: American Male
Some of these teams may be better than the writer expects. For starters and I hate to say this, UK could have a good football team in 2017. They in fact could be ranked when the Cards visit Kroger field. Then again they may be 5-6 again. But a road game against them is not an easy game. Purdue is going to make a bowl game. Brohm is just to good of a offensive coach and he has a veteran QB who can throw. To open the season a Cards win might not seem to impressive but in December that may change. The other two are no different than any other major top 20 program. Murray is our in-state scrimmage and Kent State is our MAC opponent like Bowling Green is OSU's and W. Michigan is Michigan's. etc.....

And beware of NC State. I know that's been said lately without success but they're close to having something good there. And my biggest and boldest prediction is Virginia will have the biggest turnaround in BCS conferences. A 8-4 season would not surprise me. Brock will have them better a lot sooner than expected. And UNC should not be taken lightly. They have been winning lately.

So yes, there's no other big name squad on the Cards schedule other than the usual two. It would be nice if UK or Purdue could be as good as Houston was but even if they are, they're still not big names. The Cards just got to win and if they do lose a close one at FSU, they have to beat everyone else to have a shot at the playoff. There cannot be a late season swoon and upset loss unless that loss is made up for with a win at FSU. I know we all want a playoff berth but a 10 or 11 win season is a great success. A bowl win over a big name school could set up 2018 as that year Louisville is a good favorite to make the playoff. If LJ comes back for his senior season, watch out!!!!

Reactions: Mayoman
LOL at people saying this schedule sucks. (Especially preseason)...OOC could use some work, but the conference is legit. UKy is an in state rival, and Purdue just got a significant upgrade in coaching...
...For starters and I hate to say this, UK could have a good football team in 2017. They in fact could be ranked when the Cards visit Kroger field...
Here we go again...

That's the issue playing LPT and even teams like Purdue and IU... They WILL occasionally beat you, but on name alone, you get no credit for beating them. It's a lose-lose proposition playing those teams, and we shouldn't be.

And if you have to remind people how good LPT is, you've lost in another way. Now the experience has turned you into an LPT advocate or apologist.

If that's you, I'm damn glad I'm not you...

You know zipp it wasn't that long ago Louisville football was looked at that way by big name teams. Now we're considered one of those teams and God forbid, UK football could do the same. That don't make me a UK advocate.

As for playing BCS teams that are not traditional programs, every top team plays them in the non conference. I don't see how the Cards could only schedule big names in the non conference. I surmise you would have made this same argument had a team like Washington was on the schedule two years ago.

Brohm could turn Purdue into a top 20 team. Michigan State wasn't exactly a powerhouse until this last decade. I remember the Cards beating them in a bowl game but it wasn't like beating Alabama or Florida. Today it might be.

I'll simply go back to the basic tenets of my arguments on nonconference schedules in football and just about every other revenue sport: every game on it needs to benefit you in at least one of two ways...
  • Strength of schedule
  • Financial
The first one is mostly lost with the teams we're talking about, but we'll have THAT debate if anyone wants. The second is best accomplished by (i) home games with no returns, or (ii) neutral site games with a big payoff from a broadcaster. I haven't heard that Purdue qualifies under (ii), and I suspect that it doesn't--it's not a must-see football game nationally.

Those criteria are simple, easy-to-understand, and only argued against irrationally. I've had this discussion too many times with too many people to feel differently. But if someone wants to open this can of worms again, be my guest...

You know zipp it wasn't that long ago Louisville football was looked at that way by big name teams. Now we're considered one of those teams and God forbid, UK football could do the same. That don't make me a UK advocate...
Perhaps not, but it does show you can't see the difference between the programs.

With a hiccup here and there, U of L has been on a steadily upward trajectory for more than three decades. We're maybe the best example of football outhouse-to-penthouse in recent memory, and nobody hardly debates that.

LPT football is really no better today--maybe worse--than it was more than fifty years ago. It's always been plagued by inept management and subordination to the basketball god. Why would you expect that to change? Sure, something else COULD happen, like you or I could win the Powerball. Are you counting on that or even giving it a reasonable probability? Not me.

I'll start to regard LPT differently when they've proven to everyone else nationally they deserve that. To the contrary, they're still regarded as a joke program that experiences "fluky" bouts of success. Sorry, that's not a good team on your schedule...

Last edited:
Hey I agree about all of that. No doubt. But lightning can strike once in a blue moon. (Pun attended)
I don't see and long movement up for UK football and that program pales to UofL. I simply stated that this year's game could do something for the Cards schedule if UK is ranked that late in the season.

That's all. I think everyone here would agree it's best for Louisville if Purdue And Kentucky go 9-3. (With losses to UofL of course)

Reactions: SoulSr
One factor that the schedule complainers seem to over look is TJ wants what is best for Louisville football. There is another thread listing the group ranking of "Power" programs. They see no advantage of scheduling Louisville as an OOC opponent because of our progress. Remember Georgia cancelled our game and the Kitties have done all they could to cancel the rival game.

It is difficult to improve your OOC schedule if no one wants to play you for fear of losing. Thank goodness we a finally in one the power conferences and have a handful of members with winning programs.

We just need to spank the cupcakes and win our division and the conference.

Go CARDS

One factor that the schedule complainers seem to over look is TJ wants what is best for Louisville football. There is another thread listing the group ranking of "Power" programs. They see no advantage of scheduling Louisville as an OOC opponent because of our progress. Remember Georgia cancelled our game and the Kitties have done all they could to cancel the rival game.

It is difficult to improve your OOC schedule if no one wants to play you for fear of losing. Thank goodness we a finally in one the power conferences and have a handful of members with winning programs.

We just need to spank the cupcakes and win our division and the conference.

Go CARDS

This is the truth. If the Cards can consistently play in the ACC championship game, the non conference schedule won't hurt them. Beating both FSU and Clemson in the same season is the goal.

It is difficult to improve your OOC schedule if no one wants to play you for fear of losing...
This is accurate and why Jurich needs to be given the benefit of the doubt to a point. If he had good teams knocking on his door to play us, I think he would be scrutinizing LPT on the schedule if it came to an either-or situation. For sure, teams like IU and Purdue would be gone.

He gives lip service to those "regional rivals" largely because he has no other choice to schedule anyone else OOC. But it might help him if our fans demanded schedule improvement and put certain teams on it in play...

This is the truth. If the Cards can consistently play in the ACC championship game, the non conference schedule won't hurt them. Beating both FSU and Clemson in the same season is the goal.
Agree 100% been saying it since we joined the ACC. Gotta go through FSU AND Clemson to put it beyond a reasonable doubt that you go to the ACCCG. Those teams usually only drop 1 game in conference. If one of them drops 2 you better have beaten the other. This year we did not accomplish that.

This is accurate and why Jurich needs to be given the benefit of the doubt to a point. If he had good teams knocking on his door to play us, I think he would be scrutinizing LPT on the schedule if it came to an either-or situation. For sure, teams like IU and Purdue would be gone.

He gives lip service to those "regional rivals" largely because he has no other choice to schedule anyone else OOC. But it might help him if our fans demanded schedule improvement and put certain teams on it in play...

What teams would you like to see?

If it was up to me, I would want OSU, Mich St, or Penn St of the BIG; UGA, Tenn, UF, Ole Miss/Miss St, Auburn, or LSU of the SEC; OK, OK St, K St, or Texas of the B12.
Wash, USC, Az St, or Colorado of the P12.

One of those teams, UCinn, and UK, and another cupcake instate team plus the ACC IC schedule each year would float my boat. What say you?

What teams would you like to see?

If it was up to me, I would want OSU, Mich St, or Penn St of the BIG; UGA, Tenn, UF, Ole Miss/Miss St, Auburn, or LSU of the SEC; OK, OK St, K St, or Texas of the B12.
Wash, USC, Az St, or Colorado of the P12.

One of those teams, UCinn, and UK, and another cupcake instate team plus the ACC IC schedule each year would float my boat. What say you?
In a perfect football world, I'd want to see OOC games against the marquee programs regionally, like tOSU and Tennessee. The opponent JUST being regional doesn't make the cut for me.

IU, Purdue, and LPT football don't move the needle nationally. Many of our fans will drive to Atlanta to play Auburn, but they won't drive in the same numbers just a hundred miles to IU-Bloomington. I recall a lotta empty seats in Lexington the last time I attended a U of L game there...

In a perfect football world, I'd want to see OOC games against the marquee programs regionally, like tOSU and Tennessee. The opponent JUST being regional doesn't make the cut for me.

IU, Purdue, and LPT football don't move the needle nationally. Many of our fans will drive to Atlanta to play Auburn, but they won't drive in the same numbers just a hundred miles to IU-Bloomington. I recall a lotta empty seats in Lexington the last time I attended a U of L game there...

Can only speak for myself.....but living 20 miles east of St Louis in Illinois....I would travel to IU/Purdue/U of Illinois and Mizzou being the closest to me. But mostly....due to age....I drive myself to the family room with the 55 inch HD TV and park myself there.....invite my FB friends over and tail gate till the cows come home. Bourbon rules in this house! :):):cool:

Reactions: gocds and SoulSr
Can only speak for myself.....but living 20 miles east of St Louis in Illinois....I would travel to IU/Purdue/U of Illinois and Mizzou being the closest to me. But mostly....due to age....I drive myself to the family room with the 55 inch HD TV and park myself there.....invite my FB friends over and tail gate till the cows come home. Bourbon rules in this house! :):):cool:
My bourbon travels pretty well!! :p

We had 25-30K in the stadium for Auburn. I'll bet we get 20K in Orlando to see the Bama game.

The thing is, we've outgrown these regional games and teams that used to bring numbers. We're a national program IF our fans don't get in the way.

I'll turn 60 later this month, and I've paid a lotta my fan dues. There's nothing wrong with some of us taking in games with a remote control in hand. But gray hairs are not the market nor should we try to control it. Don't cage this Cardinal!

"Won't you fly high, free bird, yeah?"

Part of the issue with football schedules is that too many of these games are planned for neutral sites. UofL needs at least some of these neutral site games to be played at PJCS and at "their" place as well. That's when the "real" money will be made. Of course, playing Alabama in Orlando or Auburn in Atlanta or even Purdue in Indy is nice but it would be a helluva bunch better if these were true home and home games. And a 65,000 seat stadium should be plenty sufficient to do just that. I'd much rather keep the profit from having 50 to 55K of our fans in OUR stadium than having a few million less for traveling to a neutral site. I think some of our fans bitching about our upcoming schedule is simply silly. These type schedules are exactly what we wanted 10 years ago and now that they are actually happening we flind fault. Some folks are never happy with anything. As far as playing LPT home and home . . . well that will take care of itself in due time as more "premium" P5 schools want to play us so long as those games are home and home. Until that happens then we are stuck with LPT as an annual opponent. And, by the way, those that want Cincy back on our schedule . . . they won't bring enough fans to make it worth our while. Now if you mentioned tOSU . . .

Part of the issue with football schedules is that too many of these games are planned for neutral sites. UofL needs at least some of these neutral site games to be played at PJCS and at "their" place as well. That's when the "real" money will be made. Of course, playing Alabama in Orlando or Auburn in Atlanta or even Purdue in Indy is nice but it would be a helluva bunch better if these were true home and home games. And a 65,000 seat stadium should be plenty sufficient to do just that. I'd much rather keep the profit from having 50 to 55K of our fans in OUR stadium than having a few million less for traveling to a neutral site. I think some of our fans bitching about our upcoming schedule is simply silly. These type schedules are exactly what we wanted 10 years ago and now that they are actually happening we flind fault. Some folks are never happy with anything. As far as playing LPT home and home . . . well that will take care of itself in due time as more "premium" P5 schools want to play us so long as those games are home and home. Until that happens then we are stuck with LPT as an annual opponent. And, by the way, those that want Cincy back on our schedule . . . they won't bring enough fans to make it worth our while. Now if you mentioned tOSU . . .

Well, it would be great to have both. OSU as the prestige game and UC to renew the longest standing rivalry game of any UoL opponent....plus both will get the eyeballs of many an Ohio kid that may like the style that CRP and the Cardinals play. Don't care if the fans come...just the possible recruits.:D

And yes, once the stadium gets to 65K.....more P5 schools may take a dip in the PJ than ever before. And there is always the ND card...pun intended.o_O:cool:

Anyways, Z, I am pushing 65 on the next BD, and my body has a hard time for road trips further away than my family tv room.:confused::cool: - And the remote doesn't make me hot, cold, or anything else but the guy with the control in his hand. Cheap, cold beer, great bourbon, and better snacks and food.:D And friends of my choosing.:eek::);)

Reactions: zipp and gocds
Well, it would be great to have both. OSU as the prestige game and UC to renew the longest standing rivalry game of any UoL opponent....plus both will get the eyeballs of many an Ohio kid that may like the style that CRP and the Cardinals play. Don't care if the fans come...just the possible recruits.:D

And yes, once the stadium gets to 65K.....more P5 schools may take a dip in the PJ than ever before. And there is always the ND card...pun intended.o_O:cool:

Anyways, Z, I am pushing 65 on the next BD, and my body has a hard time for road trips further away than my family tv room.:confused::cool: - And the remote doesn't make me hot, cold, or anything else but the guy with the control in his hand. Cheap, cold beer, great bourbon, and better snacks and food.:D And friends of my choosing.:eek::);)

Plus if you have an old TIVO box you can skip all the non-football related junk and just watch the GAME.

These neutral site games with marquee opponents come close to delivering the revenue of a home game. I understand we're getting in the neighborhood of $3 million for the Bama game in 2018.

Not as sure about Purdue in Indy. Great that Fox is carrying it, great that it's a Labor Day Saturday nite. But I kinda doubt it's close to $3 million in our pockets. And that doesn't justify losing a home game as far as revenue.

As far as dialing back, I've just started giving my Mother her senior dispensation for attending games in person, but she's almost 86 years old! And I think she's sandbagging me a little too much sometimes!!

85 is the new 65 (or do I have that backwards?..)

These neutral site games with marquee opponents come close to delivering the revenue of a home game. I understand we're getting in the neighborhood of $3 million for the Bama game in 2018.

Not as sure about Purdue in Indy. Great that Fox is carrying it, great that it's a Labor Day Saturday nite. But I kinda doubt it's close to $3 million in our pockets. And that doesn't justify losing a home game as far as revenue.

As far as dialing back, I've just started giving my Mother her senior dispensation for attending games in person, but she's almost 86 years old! And I think she's sandbagging me a little too much sometimes!!

85 is the new 65 (or do I have that backwards?..)

zipp I'll be 74 this summer and the only things that "stop" me from being at games in person is long walks, (afib) and cool, wet weather. Plus when you have a prostrate the size of a softball :D:rolleyes: you have to spend some time in the head. Your mother sounds like she is doing just fine. Maybe you should lighten up on her a bit. :p;)

zipp I'll be 74 this summer and the only things that "stop" me from being at games in person is long walks, (afib) and cool, wet weather. Plus when you have a prostrate the size of a softball :D:rolleyes: you have to spend some time in the head. Your mother sounds like she is doing just fine. Maybe you should lighten up on her a bit. :p;)

Well, at least you have a prostate still,,,,softball size or not. Even w/o the prostate, the bladder that is old and overused as mine has been, that head better be real close by don't ya know?!!!!!! o_O

More than 2 hours at a time in the car is about what I can tolerate and my wife, who has disc problems in her back both sides, can do even less w/o a stop to walk, stretch, and relieve the bladder. Makes for some interesting travels, to say the least. Flying in those sardine packed airplanes is not much better either!

Just have to get my helicopter pilot on standby at times. :(:eek::rolleyes::D Only way to fly nowadays. :cool:

Reactions: gocds
You "old" guys are killing me!...Can we get back to sports?!?! :p

You "old" guys are killing me!...Can we get back to sports?!?! :p

What's with this "you "old" guys are killing me!" Stuff?!? :D I think you an ol meanie that takes it out on your poor mother. :p;) C U at the game today. :)

Reactions: wilkie01 and zipp
Hey gcds.....these young whipper snappers these days.....Geez! "No respect I tell ya....no respect"..... in my best Rodney Dangerfield voice.

If you live long enough.....you will be as old as us too!

The neutral site games are usually televised, and that's where the $$$ come in. TJ knows what he's doing.

The neutral site games are usually televised, and that's where the $$$ come in. TJ knows what he's doing.
Sure TJ does, but television money is not equal for all games. When TV, sponsors, and the host site set up the game, e.g., Bama-U of L, you're gonna get big $$$. When the two schools schedule the game and go looking for those other entities, you're at their mercy.

The Purdue game payoff won't be enough to offset the loss of a home game...

Reactions: gocds
Should be interesting this year. No one knows what to expect.

Excuse me. With all due respect we will be a good team and quite possibly a very good team. Perhaps you don't follow UofL football much or maybe you just follow "another" school.

We'll see. Who is this: John Ramsey?

Who are you . . . Stupid stoops? Dr. Ramsey is out of the picture now so you need to find someone else to badmouth. And remember as a cayut fan you are a guest here.

Who are you . . . Stupid stoops? Dr. Ramsey is out of the picture now so you need to find someone else to badmouth. And remember as a cayut fan you are a guest here.

Me thinks he's talking about the former radio host with mike Rutherford.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT