ADVERTISEMENT

Mangok Speaks About Injury And Rehab

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
"It's been tough, you know?" Mathiang said Monday night after watching his team beat second-ranked North Carolina 71-65 at the KFC Yum! Center.

"Once you stay negative and start doubting yourself, it just makes it that much harder for you to focus on getting healthy and trying to come back stronger."

Mathiang, a redshirt junior who is a team captain, said he has relied on former U of L star Gorgui Dieng for guidance since fracturing the fifth metatarsal in his left foot during the Cards' 22-point win over Western Kentucky on Dec. 19.

He said he doesn't have a specific target date for his return yet, but coach Rick Pitino suggested Mathiang, who averaged 7.1 points and 5.7 rebounds in 10 non-conference games, might not be back until mid-to-late February, perhaps not even until March.

"That right there, I'm not sure of," Mathiang said.

Mathiang has spent hours and hours in a swimming pool, trying to stay in shape and "keep my wind up." He joked that he keeps his head above the water while he swims because he panics "a little bit.

All jokes aside, Mathiang said he feels good and focuses on going "day by day" with his rehabilitation process. He's off crutches. He's out of the walking boot. He's walking around in shoes with custom orthotics.

In addition to the swimming, Mathiang has been riding a stationary bike and he said Monday he started jogging again.

"It's been killing me," he said. "I never thought swimming and working out in the pool would be that tough. I think it's getting me strong."

This isn't the first time Mathiang has broken a bone, either. He flashed a grin as he said this rehabilitation process "is not my first rodeo."

"I know what to do and what type of work to put in for me to be back at the same place or better," he said. "The only thing right now that's going to be a problem is probably me getting into that basketball shape or that terrific shape I was in. (But) I've been here for a few years now. I know how to get in shape and I know how to stay in shape."

"I could feel that it's close and it's real soon," he said.

Reactions: Mayoman and SoulSr
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT