ADVERTISEMENT

Malik out???

nccardfan

Four-Star Poster
Sep 5, 2007
lawrenceburg, KY
MIght as well start the discussion here but the other message board is reporting that Malik could be out as much as 4 weeks with a shoulder injury. Another post says he will be re-evaluated on Friday but I assume that Brock is taking the majority of snaps this week.

Satt said he is day-to-day and would be evaluated further later in the week. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say he doesn’t play this Saturday.

Sadly, we may have seen the last of Malik Cunningham in a Cardinal uniform. He played his butt off for 5 years and it’s sad that, if true, he won’t appear in his last game in Cardinal Stadium.
If he is out the rest of the season hopefully we’ll see him in a bowl game

Reactions: KozmasAgain
Satt said he is day-to-day and would be evaluated further later in the week. I’m gonna go out on a limb and say he doesn’t play this Saturday.
SS said MC wants to play. He didn't go into detail about the injury but from what he did say it sounds more like bruising than any kind of structural issue. So I am going to go out on a limb and say he will start.

Reactions: CardFanBudMan
Scott knows no matter how well we play Saturday, a bad Governor’s Cup could cost him his job. He’s gonna rest Malik this week and get him ready for the cats.

I would say you're not going to know anything until kickoff Saturday . Satterfield will want to keep the opposition guessing so they have to prepare for both guys.

My gut says no way he plays this week.

I have heard SS say several times in PCs the Team Doctors decide if injured players are allowed to return to the field or not. And that's as it should be.
So you're saying the doctors ok Malik to play against Clemson? Didn't have anything to do with Malik wanting to play?

So you're saying the doctors ok Malik to play against Clemson? Didn't have anything to do with Malik wanting to play?
He had a minor hand injury so he wore a padded glove. There was no reason for him not to play. Did that hamper him, yes. Did it imperil his health, no.
I am sure SS was told not to play him in the second half because of the pain and they probably were not sure of the extent of the shoulder injury until he got X-Rays or an MRI.

No win situation. If CSS plays Malik, he puts wins over a kids health. If he doesn't play, we're looking at UK possibly at 6-5
You have absolutely no idea if this is true. If there is no structural damage it will be about how Malik is feeling and looking in warmups. By all accounts, this is not a concussion issue.

It was a mistake to run an injured QB from 50 yards out on the last play of the first half. Change my mind.

Granted, that Malik in the open field is always a threat to score and he came close, but you don't risk your already injured QB on a play like that. Kick the FG -- miss or make, the half is over.

It was a mistake to run an injured QB from 50 yards out on the last play of the first half. Change my mind.

Granted, that Malik in the open field is always a threat to score and he came close, but you don't risk your already injured QB on a play like that. Kick the FG -- miss or make, the half is over.
The play was a pass play. MC ran on his own...which he does a lot. That is his MO. That is MC.
I supposed you wanted CSS to run out on the field and tackle MC himself. Change my mind...what a caustic simple phrase to say.

I would have tried the FG too...so I agree with you on that. Just saying the coach called a running play is silly.

Reactions: TheRealVille
The play was a pass play. MC ran on his own...which he does a lot. That is his MO. That is MC.
I supposed you wanted CSS to run out on the field and tackle MC himself. Change my mind...what a caustic simple phrase to say.

I would have tried the FG too...so I agree with you on that. Just saying the coach called a running play is silly.
I would have tried the FG too. Probably wouldn't have made it but I think it was a better chance to score than going for the TD. Although before he stumbled I thought MC was going to score.

Reactions: Mayoman

Maybe not so silly. Satt was asked about why he called this play and he owned it. Said Malik gives us the best chance to score. Just try the field goal!

Reactions: kypecos
Maybe not so silly. Satt was asked about why he called this play and he owned it. Said Malik gives us the best chance to score. Just try the field goal!
But it wasn't a running play. It was a hail Mary that like usual, Malik decided not to throw. No way a FG was an option. Satterfield made the right decision.

Reactions: Mayoman
Looked like a QB draw to me and many others, and appears to have been confirmed by Satt. Only 3 rushers and all the time in the world to throw the ball in the end zone if that was the play call. In fact, given the position on the field, he only need about 2 seconds to let it go. He instead took off quickly like a QB draw.
BTW, the field goal would have been 57 yards, which is very makeable percentagewise. The announcers even mentioned that he was consistent from that distance in warmups.
Net result is more injury to an already injured Malik. If Malik or Satt comes out and says that he took off on his own, then I'll stand corrected. As of now, it looks like a horrible play call.

Reactions: OldhamCard335
But it wasn't a running play. It was a hail Mary that like usual, Malik decided not to throw. No way a FG was an option. Satterfield made the right decision.
I would bet that the odds of kicking that field goal is way better than a hail Mary or a QB draw.

I watched the replay of that play and it looks to me like it was going to be a hail Mary. I've been critical of Satterfield's play calling but I can't believe he actually thought Malik would be able to run it in for a TD from that distance. Even Lamar probably wouldn't score in that scenario.

Regardless, Satterfield can't not call plays because he's afraid Malik could get hurt. Might as well go with Domann.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT