ADVERTISEMENT

Mac’s complaint about facilities isn’t BS.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
At first, I thought deflection. Look over there! But, he owned the poor season. Plus, Kroger committed money to the indoor practice facility in 2021. Nothing has happened since. Heird better get his head out of his ass. We won’t do better than Mac. He is Louisville baseball. Having said that, he needs to get his head out of his ass, too.

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp
Instead of throwing emotional barbs, maybe you should research what is the holdup.

I was under the impression that the funding was already there with Kroger and that was THE money that was needed for the facility.
Tbs,I'm not sure why it's an issue right after this team falls apart 😕

I was under the impression that the funding was already there with Kroger and that was THE money that was needed for the facility.
Mac said he mentioned it during the season opening luncheon, and during his radio show. It is kind of ridiculous it’s been two years since they announced it.

Reactions: Bardman
Wow. You know nothing. Your opinion of course. But seriously…you know nothing.
sometimes coaches run their course at a school. he failed to make the tourney in two of the last three years and this year he could not even make the conference tourney, a school first in like 50 years. we were a top 5 projected team that finished in the bottom. if this were basketball, fans would have him gone. past success does not guarantee future returns and imho, he's lost his mojo. i have never thought he was a good in game coach and there are numerous occasions where his late game moves were wrong. i do not think we will ever win a world series with him, i think he can get us there but i do not think we will ever win based on his coaching. it's the pitching coach who'd been the real star of the team over last 15 years. he won't be fired but next year should be a make or break year. if he fails to get us anywhere he should be gone. we got rid of denny crum after two national titles and a sweet 16 run, why does mac get a pass?

i'll even argue the baseball team had a worse year than the basketball team, who many people want the coach fired.

Wow. You know nothing. Your opinion of course. But seriously…you know nothing.
your opinion of course too, btw a moronic reply when you mock my opinion with YOUR opinion which lacks no fact, but i am right pretty much all the time so while my opinion, it generally turns out to be 100% correct.

As closely as I follow this team I’ll take my opinion over yours And yes, my reply was rather blunt, silly and w/o an informative response. So…anyone comparing the MBB situation to the baseball season…well, just shouldn’t. Yes, the season was disappointing but they had a winning record. Guys just did not perform to the level expected. I do not not give CDM a pass. I think he struggled with this team this year and made some questionable decisions. Yet, injuries to West, Knap, Vierling, Payton and Klein were significant. There is yet another strong class coming in. What UofL needs is for the very top end of their recruits to come to college. Let’s not forget, this team was a game away from the CWS - last year. People who think success only lies in winning championships is a problem. We have a highly successful program - period. We have a highly successful program primarily because of our coach. I guess you think Jeff Walz should be let go too since he hasn’t won a National Championship?

sometimes coaches run their course at a school. he failed to make the tourney in two of the last three years and this year he could not even make the conference tourney, a school first in like 50 years. we were a top 5 projected team that finished in the bottom. if this were basketball, fans would have him gone. past success does not guarantee future returns and imho, he's lost his mojo. i have never thought he was a good in game coach and there are numerous occasions where his late game moves were wrong. i do not think we will ever win a world series with him, i think he can get us there but i do not think we will ever win based on his coaching. it's the pitching coach who'd been the real star of the team over last 15 years. he won't be fired but next year should be a make or break year. if he fails to get us anywhere he should be gone. we got rid of denny crum after two national titles and a sweet 16 run, why does mac get a pass?
His arc is definitely trending downward. But he's still the GOAT when it comes to Louisville baseball. He's earned the opportunity to right the ship. Feel as you must, but to compare the baseball and basketball situations is a bit misguided.

Kroger gave initial 3 million for project. They also give a nice amount yearly to baseball program. Actual building WAS estimated at 12 million. I am sure that has climbed in the past 2.5 years.

Kroger gave initial 3 million for project. They also give a nice amount yearly to baseball program. Actual building WAS estimated at 12 million. I am sure that has climbed in the past 2.5 years.
Thanks for the clarification

I work in the building industry in material sales (I'm in operations though thank God). Our prices have gone up at least 60% in that time frame. I actually believe it's close to 100% but there have been so many increases I've lost track.

Reactions: CardsFirst
That's my issue too. Now it gives the impression that the team tanked because Dan didn't think the support was there??

Reactions: earsky
I work in the building industry in material sales (I'm in operations though thank God). Our prices have gone up at least 60% in that time frame. I actually believe it's close to 100% but there have been so many increases I've lost track.
Yeah, despite the housing market(existing homes) being supposedly down because of rates,it's not slowed down so much because of the extraordinary increase in the cost to build. I know a few young couples that have had to cancel plans to build.
UofL really is stuck on this one, you know where.

I too have had some reservations about McDonnell winning the World Series and it's not just due to this seasons disappointment.

First thing I'm a grateful fan for what Coach McDonnell did for the Cards inconsequential baseball program. We were basically a division 2 program before Mac. He put Louisville baseball on the map and the program has enjoyed a top elite status.

Timing is everything and with McDonnell and UofL it was perfect. Mac's teams were exciting, aggressive and most of all, consistent. Players from northern states saw Louisville as a opportunity to stay close to home, but still be in a southern state where the best baseball programs are located.

This led to an influx of talented recruits, several choosing to sign with Louisville over the MLB after being drafted. McDonnell had some of his best teams during this stretch, but he never came close to challenging for a world series title. Why is that?

He hasn't even been able to win the ACC tournament with his best teams. Those super regional losses to CSF and CSB were just unbelievable, and every single season where the team won 50 games, they never came close to winning the World Series.

I chalked a lot of that up to bad luck back then, but the last few seasons, I've noticed some head scratching coaching decisions that got me thinking about those earlier disappointing results.

McDonnell had good enough players to overcome his game managing skills to win a lot of games, but not the more important post season games. And recently, with much less talent, there's the same philosophy but with more losing results.

So as a fan, I'm wondering if McDonnell will ever win a world series or even win like he has before. One thing I do believe for sure is, he's not going to win without elite level players. He's not going to be the kind of coach that takes a rag tag group of overachievers to the promised land.

Next season will tell the tale. I'm content if he stays but I'm also concerned if he does.

Reactions: CardsFirst
Back to the topic... I have no idea whether the need for a new facility is genuine. You gotta be inside baseball to know that, but apparently, U of L concurred a few years ago. The last couple seasons have done nothing but reinforce that baseball improvements everywhere are needed.

The CONCERN about U of L delivering on that commitment is legit for sure. Because it's payable over a decade, very little of the Kroger money--maybe 20%--will be in hand to pay the construction costs. That means just about all of the original $12 million is still needed.

And U of L's recent fund raising experience is minimal. If I was McDonnell, I would be concerned too...

That's my issue too. Now it gives the impression that the team tanked because Dan didn't think the support was there??

The team tanked because everybody behind Payton at catcher had injuries and we had to play our 1B at catcher and our shaky in the field backup 1B.

Dan brought up the indoor facility issue because it’s important to him and since we’re at the end of the season, the interview was his last opportunity before the media for a while.

If you want to compete with the best in the country in baseball, you need the indoor facility to attract a share of the top talent. I can see why it’s important to him.

I’d love to be Dan McDonnell’s boss - the man has a wealth of experience and tells you what he needs.

As far as comparing this to Denny Crum’s situation, call me after Dan McDonnell gets hit with two separate NCAA infractions cases and then complains to the media that following NCAA rules is too hard.

I am not sold that an indoor facility improves recruiting that much. Yes, it is nice to have and may help. He and Josh have to raise the funds. I still go back to Dan has been here 17 years the indoor facility has always been on his list. He as much as the athletic department hasn’t came up with the money. Coaches are making serious money and a rubbing elbows with real money or should be. He has to sell his vision because in a non revenue sport it is all about fundraising. The reality is his former players are going to have to help.

The team tanked because everybody behind Payton at catcher had injuries and we had to play our 1B at catcher and our shaky in the field backup 1B.

Dan brought up the indoor facility issue because it’s important to him and since we’re at the end of the season, the interview was his last opportunity before the media for a while.

If you want to compete with the best in the country in baseball, you need the indoor facility to attract a share of the top talent. I can see why it’s important to him.

I’d love to be Dan McDonnell’s boss - the man has a wealth of experience and tells you what he needs.

As far as comparing this to Denny Crum’s situation, call me after Dan McDonnell gets hit with two separate NCAA infractions cases and then complains to the media that following NCAA rules is too hard.
I'm not disputing anything you said. I just questioned the timing of when he said it. I understand Dan didn't want to discuss it during the season and that's credit to him, but I think maybe (not sure how) he should have dwelled on what didn't go right with the season before talking about the indoor facility. Dan purposedly brought it up to the public (or maybe he just wasn't getting the answers he wanted from the university). I love Dan. I just wish it could have been handled differently. Every team has injuries and just look at the two past NCAA champions, they didn't make their conference tournament either.

I am not sold that an indoor facility improves recruiting that much. Yes, it is nice to have and may help. He and Josh have to raise the funds. I still go back to Dan has been here 17 years the indoor facility has always been on his list. He as much as the athletic department hasn’t came up with the money. Coaches are making serious money and a rubbing elbows with real money or should be. He has to sell his vision because in a non revenue sport it is all about fundraising. The reality is his former players are going to have to help.
You know that's something that has never been discussed. Sitting in the top right hand corner of the press box is the name of Tito Martinez, a former player for Prado. With all these guys that Mac is sending to the big league, when can these guys start giving back? I think its a valid question.

Reactions: Deeva and rh62531
This Mac needs-to-raise-his-own-money narrative is priceless. Next thing I expect to hear is somehow the fans are responsible.

Not sure what some of you guys think athletics administration is accountable for. I guess in U of L’s case in 2023, not much…

Reactions: CardX
As closely as I follow this team I’ll take my opinion over yours And yes, my reply was rather blunt, silly and w/o an informative response. So…anyone comparing the MBB situation to the baseball season…well, just shouldn’t. Yes, the season was disappointing but they had a winning record. Guys just did not perform to the level expected. I do not not give CDM a pass. I think he struggled with this team this year and made some questionable decisions. Yet, injuries to West, Knap, Vierling, Payton and Klein were significant. There is yet another strong class coming in. What UofL needs is for the very top end of their recruits to come to college. Let’s not forget, this team was a game away from the CWS - last year. People who think success only lies in winning championships is a problem. We have a highly successful program - period. We have a highly successful program primarily because of our coach. I guess you think Jeff Walz should be let go too since he hasn’t won a National Championship?
Technically 2 games away as they lost both at A&M and needed to win 2, but I agree with your point. The fact that both games were 1 run games where A&M scored the winning run in the 9th both times shows there was very little margin keeping UofL from being in Omaha in 2022.

I too have had some reservations about McDonnell winning the World Series and it's not just due to this seasons disappointment.

First thing I'm a grateful fan for what Coach McDonnell did for the Cards inconsequential baseball program. We were basically a division 2 program before Mac. He put Louisville baseball on the map and the program has enjoyed a top elite status.

Timing is everything and with McDonnell and UofL it was perfect. Mac's teams were exciting, aggressive and most of all, consistent. Players from northern states saw Louisville as a opportunity to stay close to home, but still be in a southern state where the best baseball programs are located.

This led to an influx of talented recruits, several choosing to sign with Louisville over the MLB after being drafted. McDonnell had some of his best teams during this stretch, but he never came close to challenging for a world series title. Why is that?

He hasn't even been able to win the ACC tournament with his best teams. Those super regional losses to CSF and CSB were just unbelievable, and every single season where the team won 50 games, they never came close to winning the World Series.

I chalked a lot of that up to bad luck back then, but the last few seasons, I've noticed some head scratching coaching decisions that got me thinking about those earlier disappointing results.

McDonnell had good enough players to overcome his game managing skills to win a lot of games, but not the more important post season games. And recently, with much less talent, there's the same philosophy but with more losing results.

So as a fan, I'm wondering if McDonnell will ever win a world series or even win like he has before. One thing I do believe for sure is, he's not going to win without elite level players. He's not going to be the kind of coach that takes a rag tag group of overachievers to the promised land.

Next season will tell the tale. I'm content if he stays but I'm also concerned if he does.
"never came close to challenging for a world series title" is just plain wrong. By your logic, FSU should have moved on from Mike Martin well before he retired. You like what's happened down there since his departure?
  • A - any team that makes it to Omaha (which he's done 5x) IS challenging for a CWS title, much less "close to it."
  • B - in 2019 Cards finished T3 of the 8 that got there. Vandy rally late prevented an elimination game between those 2 teams for the right to go to the best 2/3 finals. If that's not "close to challenging for a world series title" basically any team that doesn't win it isn't close.
  • C - in 2020 the team was stacked with 2 Ps already pitching in MLB and the #1 draft choice in 2021 along with other players that had been to Omaha the prior year. Nothing is certain and every season has to play out but I like the chances of that team to get to Omaha and do damage.
"He hasn't even been able to win the ACC tournament with his best teams." Fair criticism, but doesn't tell the full story. In many of the years where the Cards didn't advance, they were basically assured of a Top 8 or Top 16 seed before ACC Tournament. I didn't agree with his apparent approach of de-emphasizing the ACCT by not throwing best arms way off schedule but I completely understood it.

Fullerton and UCSB were crazy losses, but it kinda makes the point. Can you imagine if McD had 6 or 7 trips to Omaha over the same period he has 5? I'd argue both of those teams were "close to challenging for a world series title" in addition to the 5 Omaha teams.

"overcome his game managing skills to win a lot of games, but not the more important post season games" - as summarized above, you don't get to Omaha 5x, lose in Super Regionals 4x (2009, 2015, 2016, 2022) and the regionals 4x (2008, 2010, 2012, 2018 (at TxTech)) since 2007 and not have the "managing skills" to win important postseason games.

"He's not going to be the kind of coach that takes a rag tag group of overachievers to the promised land." You realize that last season's team that lost in the Super Regional was not ranked preseason, right?

Reactions: the artist FKA zipp

To be fair, McD did not bring up the facilities / commitment. He was asked a Q after their last game and he answered it. Was he prepared with that answer, of course. However, he didn't start the presser with that topic. In fact, he spent a ton of time blaming himself and the coaches for how the season went. He took responsibility and made the point that they are going back to the drawing board to figure out how to make it better. He alluded to the transfer portal he hasn't used and I think has realized he can't compete without using it. We shall see on that front as I suspect there will be top quality, experienced talent that will want to come to UofL.

I also wouldn't focus exclusively on the indoor facility. I think overall facilities are just an indication of commitment of the administration to the program. The "sprucing up" of JPat was appreciated but needs to be just a down payment on a long term future commitment.

I'm not disputing anything you said. I just questioned the timing of when he said it. I understand Dan didn't want to discuss it during the season and that's credit to him, but I think maybe (not sure how) he should have dwelled on what didn't go right with the season before talking about the indoor facility. Dan purposedly brought it up to the public (or maybe he just wasn't getting the answers he wanted from the university). I love Dan. I just wish it could have been handled differently. Every team has injuries and just look at the two past NCAA champions, they didn't make their conference tournament either.
You did watch the full interview on YouTube and not just the snippets most focused on, right? He did exactly what you asked for. The 1st 13 of 15 minutes is a focus on the season, what went wrong, how to fix it, taking responsibility, etc. When ASKED about other jobs, he answered. He didn't bring it up. He responded to a question (with an answer that was intended to have some / much of the impact that it did for sure) but that's very different to him starting his presser with that statement.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mayoman and Bardman
CDM is recognized by his peers as one of the very best in all of college baseball.. We are most fortunate to have him here at UL.

I understand the circumstances are quite different, but I recall some UL fans who were looking forward to seeing Rick Pitino leaving UL, and how optimistic they were thinking about the future with another HC.

If Dan leaves under the present circumstances, do not be surprised with the consequences that we experience with another head coach. If there is insufficient financial support for baseball facilities, I am not sure where the funds will come from when attracting a new Head Coach.

Despite a disappointing season, we won 2 out of 3 against SEC competition, all of which qualified in this year’s NCAA tournament, and the one loss was in extra innings to Vandy. I am not sure how much difference it made, but the two injuries to Knap and Peyton took a huge toll on the team. Not sure how accurate my information is, but I was told that both were no more than 80% healed when they returned to the lineup.

Injuries happen and we all know this. However, it was the timing of the injuries and who had the injuries which must be noted. Also, Jack gets hurt but our two FR catchers were also hurt. Too many issues at one time to overcome.

Injuries happen and we all know this. However, it was the timing of the injuries and who had the injuries which must be noted. Also, Jack gets hurt but our two FR catchers were also hurt. Too many issues at one time to overcome.
The injuries played a huge role, no doubt, but the team wasn't exactly trending upward before then. The Cards peaked in Texas, then had a few nice wins the remainder of the schedule. It is what it is. Disappointments happen.

^^^ Agreed; there is an age-old adage about the importance of being strong defensively "up the middle". The SS and the Catcher are two of those critical positions and its true we had insufficient depth at SS and injuries to the backups at catcher.
Excuses are always used when things do not go as expected, and I am the first to point out that injuries are just part of baseball, but sometimes the excuses are necessary explanations when trying to understand the "why" questions.

Also,nobody expected Humphrey and Beard to not back up their All ACC performances from 2022.
Interesting to see how a couple of Redshirt Freshmen in Dickerson and Lippe fit in next season. I'll go out on a bit of a limb and say they both will push for a regular spot in the outfield.
Dickerson was drafted and Lippe had an outstanding Fall in 2022. They're serious contenders to break into the lineup. Lippe has obviously been hitting the weights.

This Mac needs-to-raise-his-own-money narrative is priceless. Next thing I expect to hear is somehow the fans are responsible.

Not sure what some of you guys think athletics administration is accountable for. I guess in U of L’s case in 2023, not much…
You know who raised money back in the 80’s for a up and coming program, Denny Crum. It may be a completely different environment but Denny and Rick were heavily involved in fund raising efforts. Jeff Brohm will impact the fundraising for Football.

At no point did I say it was only Dan’s responsibility but he is a factor. Yes, non revenue sports needs everyone to get involved.

Last edited:
Denny also fished and hunted six months out of the year.

A top flight coach in 2023 is responsible for showing up at events, shaking hands and kissing babies. Coaching itself is a 24/7 job.

It’s the administration’s job to raise money 99% of the time. If your administration is bad at that, the pressure ratchets up on a head coach, student-athletes, and anyone else who might succeed at it.

That lack of ability doesn’t absolve your administration. I don’t know what some people think an AD is accountable for…

Per several Twitter sources (quote from Demling below) this morning:

The finance committee of the ULAA Board just approved authorization for U of L athletics to move forward with $3 million renovation to Jim Patterson Stadium. Will be renovations to locker room, training room, workout areas, dugouts and overall aesthetics to stadium.

Per several Twitter sources (quote from Demling below) this morning:

The finance committee of the ULAA Board just approved authorization for U of L athletics to move forward with $3 million renovation to Jim Patterson Stadium. Will be renovations to locker room, training room, workout areas, dugouts and overall aesthetics to stadium.
My guess is Kroger got a phone call to transfer their $3 million commitment from the new--now mythological--practice facility. Coincidentally, the same amount of money...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT