ADVERTISEMENT

LPT Extends AM Radio Deal with Clear Channel...

zipp

Elite Member
Jun 26, 2001
Haven't seen the particulars yet. But reportedly, LPT has agreed to a multimillion dollar contract to continue to pay Clear Channel to air its basketball and intramural football games on AM radio.

CC will likely issue its "business decision" explanation for the contract extension.

I'm always happy to see LPT continue to waste money to improve its athletic programs. I'm also happy to publicize the misguided efforts of businesses who operate in the Louisville area to conduct business.

As U of L fans, we need to do our part to make sure their business results reflect those "business decisions".

"Elite program", my a$$...

I haven't listened to them in years but if someone would post who advertises there, I will make sure to not patronize them.

I believe that two are 84 Lumber and Aire Serv.

Know more? Post in this thread...

Same here....I don't listen to them anymore and if I go into a business that openly displays any of that blue bullsh@t I back out and find another place to shop. Advertising on 84 is the knell as far as I'm concerned.

Wow I thought 84 Lumber went out of business 20 years ago. The only stores I see with 84 Lumber signs are rusting and falling down.

So for you guys that are threatening to not do business with their advertisers.....does that mean no UL games for you anymore? I've heard UL advertise on 84.

If UK wants to dish out the money than so be it. I'm glad UL won't get into a bidding war with them. Waste of money when we can change channel and hear the game on 790......also a CC channel so I guess you guys won't be listening to that either?

This post was edited on 3/9 11:08 PM by T-Bone74

Originally posted by T-Bone74:
So for you guys that are threatening to not do business with their advertisers.....does that mean no UL games for you anymore? I've heard UL advertise on 84...Maybe those promos are part of the current contract that CC PAYS to U of L's marketing entity.

None of this stuff is actually important to U of L in the long run. It's part of a futile attempt by LPT to hang onto a foothold in Jefferson County. The issue is the message that needs to be sent to WHAS and Clear Channel and their advertisers.

Originally posted by zipp:
Haven't seen the particulars yet. But reportedly, LPT has agreed to a multimillion dollar contract to continue to pay Clear Channel to air its basketball and intramural football games on AM radio.

CC will likely issue its "business decision" explanation for the contract extension.

I'm always happy to see LPT continue to waste money to improve its athletic programs. I'm also happy to publicize the misguided efforts of businesses who operate in the Louisville area to conduct business.

As U of L fans, we need to do our part to make sure their business results reflect those "business decisions".

Zipp, Why are you so butthurt with lpt. L1C7

Originally posted by bigbuf:
Zipp, Why are you so butthurt with lpt...Your buds on the LPT Rivals site can address that question. Just type 'zipp' in their search field--you'll get hundreds of hits.

This particular issue is more about Clear Channel than LPT. Your school is just taking its best move--making stupid decisions with its money.

CC is the entity that needs to be targeted by U of L fans in Louisville. We're in the clear majority in their marketing area, and that should be a problem for them.

I've never understood the whole "let's not do business with corporations who advertise here" or any of the sort.

If you dig deep enough, you will find that a majority of companies you do business with are engaging in practices far worse than taking money from UK or it's fans. Unless you can grow your own food, produce your own gasoline, cars, electricity, and clothing, and supply your own water, you can't live without supporting a company doing something reprehensible or unethical.

Good one Zipp ! Go and boycott those advertisers and make a big deal of this and watch Big Blue Nation flock to them in support. That will show them!

Am I missing something. I love that the kittens spend money on RADIO? Are you kidding me? With the internet, iHeart radio, etc, what a waste. It's as irrelevant as the CJ!

T-Bone74-I agree with you about the guys threatening not to business with their advertisers cause they carry UK games. I guess no more Papa Johns cause they advertise on UK games. Oh wait a minute doesn't Papa Johns support UofL somehow?? The smart business is going to support both schools. Good grief!

Originally posted by MrWildcat333:
Good one Zipp ! Go and boycott those advertisers and make a big deal of this and watch Big Blue Nation flock to them in support. That will show them!I'm not sure too many businesses in Louisville are worried about LPT support. Hell, there's not enough support here anymore to stage an annual LPT basketball game.

Originally posted by LWO:
T-Bone74-I agree with you about the guys threatening not to business with their advertisers cause they carry UK games. I guess no more Papa Johns cause they advertise on UK games. Oh wait a minute doesn't Papa Johns support UofL somehow?? The smart business is going to support both schools. Good grief!It's not about advertising on LPT games. It's about advertising on 84WHAS. The businesses you target are those who have CC contracts.

And don't tell me it doesn't work. Companies all the time change course when negative PR is involved. They drop personalities and they stop supporting individuals associated with activities or positions that are controversial.

That's exactly the issue here.

I'll be supporting 93.9 "The Ville". This channel has one agenda, and that's promoting UofL athletics. Hopefully in a couple years we can listen to BB and FB games here.

And BTW, I don't have a problem when a sponsor supports both schools. Two mentioned here are Papa Johns and (I believe) Kentucky Farm Bureau. That IS smart business.

It's when someone makes a choice that I have problem--choosing LPT over U of L when your business fortunes lie mostly in the Louisville area. That often applies to the sponsor, but in this case, the entity is the radio station/network.

CC made a choice to subordinate U of L to LPT for the money directly involved, that LPT will pay them millions for priority. They're not seeing the flipside--lost business locally from that decision.

I admitted up front that an AM radio station contract in 2015 means something only to a guy appropriately named "Mitch Brainfart". But again, that's not the point. The point is that CC does not know where its bread is buttered. And they need to be reminded.

Clear Channel had revenues in excess of 6.2 billion dollars in 2012 and income of nearly half a billion. I doubt a few pissed off message board fans can move the needle.

Thanks. If I ever try to bring down an entire corporation, you'll be my first phone call.

ohwell.r191677.gif

Just out of curiosity, Zipp, do you have an article that says how much Kentucky paid to get this done? All I can find is that last year Kentucky signed a deal with JMI where JMI would pay Kentucky $210 million over 15 years for the rights to broadcast the games. And from what I'm reading about the deal yesterday, it seems like JMI is paying, if anyone.

Sources:

JMI deal last year:
http://www.kentucky.com/2014/06/23/3305334/university-of-kentucky-signs-15.html

iHeartRadio deal:
http://www.lex18.com/story/28319659/jmi-sports-and-iheart-media-team-up-for-more-cats-coverage

If Kentucky is paying, I'd like to know.

Dont listen to WHAS other than Rush at noon. Not a Lach listener, or Tony Cruise, or Terry Meiners. 790 and 680 are where I go. With the internet, you can listen to any station you want. I assume WHAS is the ratings leader in certain spots, but I dont think UL fans have any complaints about local radio, we have plenty of outlets and stations. I can listen to UL games anywhere, and watch them on ESPN usually. As a matter of fact, all of this supposed UK hype has completely passed me by. I stay away from Catspause and KSR. I dont really care about them. I dont go to Chubby Rays. Big Blue Country is closed. We live in a fairly large city and there are plenty of media choices. The era of WHAS dominance has been gone for a decade or more. Let them have their fun, most of their fans cant figure out the internet anyway.

Did anyone notice that the Farm Bureau commercial that talks about the state motto, the state flower, even the state animal, never mentions the state bird. That really is a little sad. They are second class in almost all sports and play in second rate facilities. While we were building taste of the art facilities they were wasting state funds doing what? We lead in virtually every sport and future NCAA plans for postseason events show us leading by about a three to one ratio. Our football success has buried them. Even recent basketball success has shown that over the last four years we have had more success. The growth of our programs has come with two national awards as program of the year.

It used to be important for them to be considered the best even though it's program stands out first as simply a gimmic which causes embarrassment because they have completely sold out in terms of scholarship. Having 50,000 watts simply make no difference any more because both station have their own little networks. They continue to sell the BBN hype when it's impossible to find a single fan outside of KY natives. I really don't know the actual fan base of either program, but do know that we support all of our programs and raise more money even after they get their 20 million gift from the SEC every year. They continue the hype, but continually expose themselves as a program that has absolutely no interest in academics. They really have nothing but a program that skirts the rules and will be exposed as they were a decade ago with 37 major infractions. As someone who has followed basketball here for 60 years, I can guarantee that they will fall again, because they always do.

So are we going to finally cut ties with WHAS since they have clearly indicated what side they're on? I mean lets be honest, it's stupid having to figure out what radio station our games are going to be on and being dictated by LPT. Lets just dump WHAS and put all our games on 93.9. I mean 93.9 already does the football and basketball post game shows as well as baseball games. Might as well put the football and basketball games on 93.9 as well. And while we're at it strip WHAS of their press rights as well! :)

Personally it's sad because as an out of town fan I used to listen to WHAS not just for sports but just for other local news as well occasionally. Now they are as dead to me as the CJ is and I look forward to seeing them both suffer the same fate together.

I heard on ESPN FM 93.9 today that they are contractually allowed to carry the ACC games in which U of L is playing. It's a different broadcast crew. But evidently, it's some kinda loophole not unlike the one that has TV coverage airing on different stations tomorrow as well!

Anyway, here's an opportunity right now to start migrating away from Clear Channel for your U of L broadcasts.

Originally posted by Atwood8665:
Just out of curiosity, Zipp, do you have an article that says how much Kentucky paid to get this done?...Gotta give WildCard credit for this...I lifted it from the premium board:

"Not that I really care, I wonder if this deal still includes the $1M/yr "priority placement" bonus to WHAS/Clear Channel?

For those that might have forgotten all the details, getting UK back on WHAS was Barnhart's first "win" over Jurich.

However, to do so, part of the overall deal was an additional $1M/yr product placement payment to WHAS/Clear Channel. This deal was widely ballyhooed as a $8M/yr media package deal for UK. Fact is, advertising property making over $5M/yr was turned over to the media outfit and with the additional $1M/yr they had to pay to get WHAS, the net media revenue (i.e., radio rights) was less than what it was in their expiring deal.

It is that kind of thinking like that leads to a $110M stadium renovation that actually removes about 6,000 mostly good seats.
"

All I recall is Jurich saying that he wasn't willing to pay what Brainfart was willing to pay.

Kinda like the adidas apparel deal signed last year. U of L is never going to take less money than another option that doesn't make sense. Well, to anyone but Brainfart.

mit_zps41bb3a77.jpg

Would you let this guy control your money?

This post was edited on 3/11 9:33 PM by zipp

So what they spent millions on an am radio deal. If they are that desperate to air their games then so be it. I will just sit back and watch UL invest its millions in campus and facility upgrades.

Originally posted by ULCard17:
So what they spent millions on an am radio deal. If they are that desperate to air their games then so be it. I will just sit back and watch UL invest its millions in campus and facility upgrades.Once again, that's beside the point. I like watching LPT waste money too, but that's not the issue.

Take a small business like Genesis Diamonds that used to advertise itself as the official jeweler of LPT. They're a gnat on an elephant's a$$ as far as the local economy is concerned. But should you ignore their lack of perspective and shop there anyway as a U of L fan? Of course not. They were being stupid as a business by choosing and choosing wrongly.

They've long since dropped that "official LPT" garbage probably realizing the mistake they were making. CC hasn't come to that same reckoning. Do I want LPT to change course voluntarily? No. I still want them to make poor decisions on the court, the field of play, and at the bank. At the same time, I want WHAS to experience the backlash of U of L fans. Hell, if they feel the pinch, maybe WHAS starts demanding even more money from LPT. I assume that works for you??

This post was edited on 3/12 1:44 AM by zipp

Would never go near Genesis because of that "official jeweler" BS. It is beyond ignorant to blatantly promote UK in Louisville, you are alienating the majority of your customer base.

Originally posted by CardChipper:
Would never go near Genesis because of that "official jeweler" BS. It is beyond ignorant to blatantly promote UK in Louisville, you are alienating the majority of your customer base.
Well, if the "majority of your customer base" were half the city of Louisville then you might have a point. But, seeing as how half the college sports fans in Louisville cheer for the Kentucky Wildcats, your argument is baseless.

By the way, with all those "first rate facilities" and brilliant tacticians, you'd think you guys would have had better results against UK. What's your winning percentage versus UK in the Yum! again?

Your math skills obviously are Lexington based. Louisville is clearly a UL majority, based on every statistical analysis that has ever been done, from the TV to the Courier Journal polls. And your won/loss data is always based on peachbasket era victories, when UL was really a teaching college. I enjoy UK fans promoting segregation era statistics, its like saying "back when dinosaurs ruled the earth, we really kicked ass". Run the numbers since 1972 when UL became a public institution, and you have a viable comparison. But you wont do that because of your ignorance and hatred. Trolling wont make your life better, friend.

Originally posted by Blueworld_3.0:
Well, if the "majority of your customer base" were half the city of Louisville then you might have a point. But, seeing as how half the college sports fans in Louisville cheer for the Kentucky Wildcats, your argument is baseless...
Hard to argue with objective, 3rd party data that show U of L fans with a 3-to-1 majority around these parts.

The "Blueworld" must end somewhere around Shelbyville.

It's a new millennium, LPT fans!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT