ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville vs. Ole Miss: Week 1 Discussion & Predictions

LeFors4Ever

3500+
Gold Member
Oct 14, 2017
It's game week. I know most will pick us on here as we believe in our Cards, but lets talk about the game. Currently the line is -10 Ole Miss and the money has continued to move towards Ole Miss.

Ole Miss is going to score. They're going to score a lot of points on everyone. We have been weak against teams with an athletic advantage and we have a lot to prove to say we can stop a team like this. They put up points on a lot of great teams, so I don't think we can stop them. They aren't a title contender, but they have a top 5 offense in the nation and their skill and speed will be up there with Clemson's offense. We may be better on defense, but this team is just great. Not to mention, week 1 usually favors high flying offenses who can catch a defense off guard.

Ole Miss is going to give up points. They had one of the WORST defenses in the nation last year. Now like us 2 years ago, they were bringing in a new staff to clean things up. Last year they had a new DC trying to get their team together with COVID restrictions. Now they've had a year to learn the system and more practice, but how much can you really improve?

Louisville's keys to an upset? We have a good (potentially great) offensive line and an experienced QB that's explosive. We need to control the clock and move chains. It'll be tempting to get into a shootout, but they have the horses for that and I don't think we do. Slow the game down and let Malik roll out for some first downs. Limit their possessions and our chances for turnovers.

My prediction?
Ole Miss 45
Louisville 31

We play tough early and then they pull away late as we run out of gas. I think we'll score, but we we'll still be looking for playmakers in the pass game and our identity. They'll be a well-oiled machine and probably catch us off guard on defense. They know who they are and we really don't have all of our questions answered. That's the difference other than talent.

I've heard all about Ole Miss scoring for months now. With it being the first game, I don't believe they will score on us like the talking heads and believers are sputtering. We will answer some questions. Go Cards!

Louisville 35
Ole Miss 32

My prediction is that we control tempo on offence with short passes and the run game to shorten the game and get their D tired; Ole Miss high tempo will backfire on them in the 4th as we gain some traction and come back to take the game late. -10 is a very tempting bet, my guess on final score is good guys 40 bad guys 38.

Ol Miss by 10.
Your guys will score, and if Cunningham is healthy he will have a really good day.
Corral at Ol Miss and the receivers are NFL bound before long. AND....ol Miss had one of the best rushing games in the conference.

Too much offense in the Johnny Reb arsenal. 2 new safeties at U of L and the corners are gonna have a mighty busy day.

But the Cards will score. Just not enough.

It's game week. I know most will pick us on here as we believe in our Cards, but lets talk about the game. Currently the line is -10 Ole Miss and the money has continued to move towards Ole Miss.

Ole Miss is going to score. They're going to score a lot of points on everyone. We have been weak against teams with an athletic advantage and we have a lot to prove to say we can stop a team like this. They put up points on a lot of great teams, so I don't think we can stop them. They aren't a title contender, but they have a top 5 offense in the nation and their skill and speed will be up there with Clemson's offense. We may be better on defense, but this team is just great. Not to mention, week 1 usually favors high flying offenses who can catch a defense off guard.

Ole Miss is going to give up points. They had one of the WORST defenses in the nation last year. Now like us 2 years ago, they were bringing in a new staff to clean things up. Last year they had a new DC trying to get their team together with COVID restrictions. Now they've had a year to learn the system and more practice, but how much can you really improve?

Louisville's keys to an upset? We have a good (potentially great) offensive line and an experienced QB that's explosive. We need to control the clock and move chains. It'll be tempting to get into a shootout, but they have the horses for that and I don't think we do. Slow the game down and let Malik roll out for some first downs. Limit their possessions and our chances for turnovers.

My prediction?
Ole Miss 45
Louisville 31

We play tough early and then they pull away late as we run out of gas. I think we'll score, but we we'll still be looking for playmakers in the pass game and our identity. They'll be a well-oiled machine and probably catch us off guard on defense. They know who they are and we really don't have all of our questions answered. That's the difference other than talent.

I hope that our depth on defense will make us be a factor the entire game. Both teams seem to have potential offensive capabilities. I watched the press conference that the Ole Miss coach held and he seemed disinterested and did not add much personality to the conference. Hopefully , there is enough film on their offense so that they will not have as much advantage as their presented last year. Go Cards.

I hope that our depth on defense will make us be a factor the entire game. Both teams seem to have potential offensive capabilities. I watched the press conference that the Ole Miss coach held and he seemed disinterested and did not add much personality to the conference. Hopefully , there is enough film on their offense so that they will not have as much advantage as their presented last year. Go Cards.
What? The Lane Train did not show any personality? That's a first for that arrogant POS.

Mississippi will score. The question is whether the Cards can keep up with them. I'm no football expert. Women's sports is what I know, but from what I've read and heard, it's going to be a track meet.

--sonja--

How does the UofL O line project going in this year?
Numbers have seen from your starting O line are quite a bit better as far as size, but fade a lot past the starters.
Defense still seems undersized, but that is a trait of Satterfield defense sacrificing weight for speed.

I was starting to count UCF as an easy win, but boy they look pretty good now.

My prediction?
Ole Miss 45
Louisville 31

Last year we killed our self with turnovers, but played everyone tough for the most part. If we don’t piss down our legs again, we’ll beat teams like Ole miss. I know that you are high on Kentucky this year and down on Louisville, why? Kentucky looked terrible last year in most of their games, lost by 60 points in a game and beat a bad Vandy team 38-35. What are you seeing that I’m not?

Last year we killed our self with turnovers, but played everyone tough for the most part. If we don’t piss down our legs again, we’ll beat teams like Ole miss. I know that you are high on Kentucky this year and down on Louisville, why? Kentucky looked terrible last year in most of their games, lost by 60 points in a game and beat a bad Vandy team 38-35. What are you seeing that I’m not?
And didn't we lose to Ga Tech? I mean if you want to base things on last year, we went 4-7 and our wins were against WKU, Syracuse, Florida State, and Wake Forrest. And saying we played everyone tough is just, well the Blueneck talk. That sounds like we're acting like offseason champions without any proof. That's what those Bluenecks used to do every year and I don't like our fans talking like that Lexghanistan Trailer Trash.

I mean our success was Hawkins, Atwell, and Fitzpatrick being elite skill players. I mean that's a lot of production to replace and I don't know who is going to do that. I mean we can, but there is no proof Jalen Mitchell and Watkins are just next man up and gonna dominate. We have an good offensive line, a senior QB that is explosive, unproven skill players, and an unproven defense that's a bit undersized. But, we have a really good coach that could be great. That's the only thing that sells me on success is Scott's ability to motivate and he could have a great gameplan.

But beating a team like Ole Miss is easier than saying "yeah we lose 3 NFL caliber skill guys and their offense is clearly top 5 in the nation, but just clean up turnovers and plug unproven guys in and we should easily beat a team like that.

If you think me just saying sUcKs is a 6-6 or 7-5 type team is being high on them, like maybe 10th or 11th best in the SEC at best. They have really good talent on their lines and defense. They're a pretty decent team and have some talent and depth. But overall they're nothing special. I know there's a segment of our fanbase that thinks just saying anything positive about them means you're an undercover traitor, but I'm just a gambler and former football player and that's how I look at things. they went 5-6 against the #3 strength of schedule. They were #45 on FPI. That's a decent team, nothing special, but not awful. That's what the numbers say.

Why were you counting them as an easy win? They've finished ranked 3 of the last 4 years at 41-8 in those years LOL! They return a stud QB.
They went down 21-0 early and looked like a trainwreck is why. But, they're an AAC team and I just for some reason think we should beat them. Part of me wants to whip up on UCF and Cincy teams who beat up on the sister's of the poor while we're in a power league. They need to be taken down a peg.

I think fans over estimate conference affiliation as a barometer. If we want to say, UCF isn't a T10 program because they don't play anybody I get that, maybe they aren't.

Teams like UCF, Cincy, they would probably do just fine in power leagues. May not threaten to win them, but would avoid the bottom. When these programs are winning, they just win too many games for a middling ACC team to consider an easy W IMO. That doesn't mean the Cards can't beat these guys, there will be some smoke surrounding this game maybe, especially if the Cards pull off the upset on Ole Miss, or play them real tough.

It's almost the same thing as the UofL teams in Petrino's first run here. Fans around the country didn't really respect the Cards, maybe same thing with Charlie. But when those teams were given a chance to show out, they did. That's why I'm surprised when I read some of our fans discredit programs that have very similar profiles to what UofL used to have.

Non power 5 teams probably deserve more respect than they get.

Last edited:
I've got this game at 40/60 in Mississippi's favor. ESPN has it at 30/70. It's the first game of the year, so neither team will be particularly sharp. Louisville, historically, does better when no one expects them to do anything. Satt's got something to prove, too. Head says Mississippi, heart says Cards. F 'em both! Going with my guts. Cards 45 Rebs 42.

Reactions: WKCard and Mayoman
I think fans over estimate conference affiliation as a barometer. If we want to say, UCF isn't a T10 program because they don't play anybody I get that, maybe they aren't.

Teams like UCF, Cincy, they would probably do just fine in power leagues. May not threaten to win them, but would avoid the bottom. When these programs are winning, they just win too many games for a middling ACC team to consider an easy W IMO. That doesn't mean the Cards can't beat these guys, there will be some smoke surrounding this game maybe, especially if the Cards pull off the upset on Ole Miss, or play them real tough.

It's almost the same thing as the UofL teams in Petrino's first run here. Fans around the country didn't really respect the Cards, maybe same thing with Charlie. But when those teams were given a chance to show out, they did. That's why I'm surprised when I read some of our fans discredit programs that have very similar profiles to what UofL used to have.

Non power 5 teams probably deserve more respect than they get.
I respect them forsure, I just want to beat them down to assert our dominance. Doesn't mean it will be easy, but I don't like them one bit.

I'm glad to see some of you guys had realistic expectations.

Remember that Ole Miss Defense was terrible against an all SEC schedule last year.

I'm glad to see some of you guys had realistic expectations.

Remember that Ole Miss Defense was terrible against an all SEC schedule last year.
This is a different year, their best defensive player was at Maryland last year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT