ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville or Virginia?

TheRealVille

5000+
Apr 27, 2015
Never thought this question could ever be asked for this season. But...

If you had a chance to change history and you had only two choices.

1. Be Louisville and not make the big dance?
2. Be Virginia and go 32-2 and the overall #1 seed but to then lose by 20 to a #16 seed in the big dance?

Think about it. What fan base is hurting the worse? Which fan base will never let it go what happened to them? What's worse? Not making the dance or being the first #1 seed to lose to a #16? And by 20?

Kind a funny that Louisville is still playing in the postseason while Virginia is done!

This will haunt UVA FOREVER. No question I would not want UofL to switch places with Virginia right now.

This makes our last second meltdown nothing in comparison. Outside of UofL circles, virtually no one will even remember it after this.

Last edited:
It's not even a debate. What tonight proved was UVA's entire system is a fraud. If it was a buzzer beater or something like that, maybe they could feel a little better about it. But to get drilled, it just exposes their "system" for what people paying close attention already understood it to what it really is.

Gifted non calls throughout a season for reasons only ACC brass can explain for certainty, is always going to leave them in trouble on an even playing field. It's really that simple.

The reality is, that team belongs on the back end of the T 25 most years.

Just my late night take I'm sure many will disagree!

No I agree. They have always been a mystery to me how they win so much. I think teams, especially ACC teams, have psyched themselves out when playing Virginia. It looked to me like UMBC played loose and shot the 3, not worrying about taking early shots and getting behind. I remember in each game against them, the Cards had open 3's they didn't take because if they miss it would be considered a bad shot.

You have to get your best outside shooters ready to take and make a lot of 3's against them. You have to get Virginia playing differently and out of their comfort zone. This is exactly what UMBC did tonight, You have to make shots against them.

Maybe ACC teams will stop worrying about the back line defense and take it to them offensively.

No I agree. They have always been a mystery to me how they win so much. I think teams, especially ACC teams, have psyched themselves out when playing Virginia. It looked to me like UMBC played loose and shot the 3, not worrying about taking early shots and getting behind. I remember in each game against them, the Cards had open 3's they didn't take because if they miss it would be considered a bad shot.

You have to get your best outside shooters ready to take and make a lot of 3's against them. You have to get Virginia playing differently and out of their comfort zone. This is exactly what UMBC did tonight, You have to make shots against them.

Maybe ACC teams will stop worrying about the back line defense and take it to them offensively.

Great post - I mean I agree with your analysis 100%.

I think really, officials "control" lot of what's going on out there - and part of that is in the heads of teams that play UVA with regularity. Players know they are going to get hacked, misdirected physically, grabbed, and annoyed throughout the game - and they also know the foul calls aren't going to be there too many times.

I've been waiting for the balloon to pop. It just did.

Reactions: Cue Card
UMBC also got a lot of rebounds that UVa frequently gets.

and they hit free throws when they needed to.

But shooting 12-24 from 3pt range sure helped.

Reactions: shadow force

I noticed the rebounding as well. UMBC fought hard for rebounds and loose balls like their lives depended on it. You don't often see Virginia get outhustled but they were tonight. And the hot outside shooting sure helped tremendously.

The big guy Salt did not play much in second half. He and Hunter who was hurt were 2 of their better rebounders. UMBC spread them out , took them off the dribble, made the extra pass when needed, and made shots. We would do the opposite and muck up the middle, dribble into the teeth of their defense, no extra pass, and take a horrible shot or just miss it!

To me it was the speed of UMBC that really caused major problems for Virginia. The common theme for these upsets are teams spread the court with 5 shooters have quick guards that can shoot and pass. Virginia was chasing the whole game. Their whole defensive rotation was screwed up.

I agree teams end up trying to drive the ball entirely too much which is the strength of their defense. With that said there are a lot of good teams that couldn't do what UMBC did in that game.

I thought this Virginia team was different because of their offense, but last night they couldn't hit a thing. They couldn't run anything because UMBC guards made it very difficult on Virginia main 3 guys.

i've always said when we played them, or anyone else, why not launch threes ery time and if you start hitting them and take the lead you;ve got a shot but most teams play right into what uv wants to do. that's why they always win. they get beat when someone changes the script. but holy cow, guess that completely eliminates any possibility of us watching our new coach.

This was such a thorough beat down that every ACC coach will watch it many times and use as the blueprint to take on the Cavaliers in the future. I am not saying they will be middle of the pack ACC but their krypton its has been shown and you will likely see a difference in how ACC teams play them in the future.
ACC refs mollycoddling them during the season may change as the league office is probably a bit embarrassed at this beat down.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT