ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Football Recruiting Insider 6/19

Chris Person

Oct 3, 2016
It's been a bit since I have done one of these and had a few things to pass along to you all!

- One of Louisville's top 2017 running back targets, Tavion Thomas, announced on Twitter that he will make his college decision on July 7th. Louisville jumped in a little later in his recruitment and from what I heard recently the Cards don't feel too confident about this one.

- Another top target for Louisville, JUCO DT Tayland Humphrey, tweeted last night indicating he may be making a commitment soon. Now, the last time I had asked him he said he was going to wait a while to commit and that Louisville was and had been his leader. He cited the reason for the Cards at #1 was that his mom and him felt the most comfortable with the Louisville coaches. Immediately that would tell me this one is almost definitely Louisville but there are a couple issues. #1. Humphrey has never visited Louisville and #2. Humphrey has a younger brother, John Bolding III, who will be a senior in high school this upcoming year so both are in the same 2018 class. It has expressed on Twitter that their mom really wants her sons to play together and the only two schools who have offered both are FIU and Oklahoma St. The pair just wrapped up a visit to Ok St. this past weekend so with that being said I think they may hold an advantage. Can Louisville get Humphrey to campus before he makes a decision? That could obviously help their cause out a lot. From what I can tell I doubt Louisville will offer Bolding considering they are at the point where they don't need to take unnecessary "package deals".

- Speaking of big defensive linemen, JUCO target Emmit Gooden announced his commitment to Arkansas recently. At one point Louisville was far and away the frontrunner but when things didn't work out between his friend Antonio Howard and Louisville it seemed as though things cooled between Louisville and Gooden. All in all I don't think Louisville had a ton of interest the past month or so.

- I was able to stop by Louisville's mini camp this past Saturday for a bit and while I had to leave earlier than expected, I still was able to take in a good amount of what went on. Overall the camp Saturday and Sunday did not have a lot of talent, likely due to it being Father's day weekend. The big camp will come in late July when "Light up the Ville" returns, and I'm hearing it is going to be a great one ;). Both Howie and I will be there covering that camp from start to finish! Anyway, two prospects that really stood out to me on Saturday were Moore's JJ Weaver and Cincinnati WR Xavier Johnson. While Johnson currently does not hold a Louisville offer he sure looked impressive and I could see one coming down the road for the 3-star. Weaver, on the other hand, does currently hold a Louisville offer and the coaches were all over the class of 2019 prospect from the moment he walked in the door. You could definitely tell that they like him a lot and for good reason. He has a huge frame and at 6'6" looked initially like a monster TE or WR. While he will have to put on some weight, he was very fluid in his movements and I imagine will really start emerging on the national recruiting scene sooner rather than later.

- One additional note that slipped my mind when first posting this... It will be interesting to if and for how long WR Akeem Hayes remains committed to Louisville. Also, from those who I have spoken to close to the situation, if Hayes does decommit I think the staff will move on completely.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.