ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville bars that I miss.

CardX

Five-Star Poster
May 29, 2001
Having been married now for almost 15 years, and with two kids, the bar scene doesn't happen often for this guy. But, if it did, I'd want to go to these places, which are all long gone.

Maier's- cool place to hang out, listen to music. When Kimmet & Doug first started here in Louisville- I caught one of their earliest shows. Not bad grub there, either.

Dutch's Tavern- right across the street from Maier's. What a true dive, but you rocked out there. And watching a Packer's game there- priceless.

Butchertown Pub- Big, fun bar with a courtyard. I spent a few New Year's Eves there. Always had a good time. I believe it's a music studio now.

The Brewery- Growing up, all I heard about was Phoenix Hill and The Brewery. Great name for a bar, too. Cool place.

Yucatan- I'm not normally a club guy. But Yucatan was pretty fun. Gimmicky, but fun. And the very attractive bartenders dressed in bikini tops and hula skirts.
eek.r191677.gif

Jake & Elwoods- I just felt comfortable there. Good pizza. Good live music.

Toy Tiger- I never went. Heard stories, though. I'm probably glad I didn't. Also, probably the greatest sign in the history of bar signs. That's what I miss- that sign.

Damons- Technically a restaurant, but the food sucked, so it makes the bar list. TV's galore- just a wall of big screens. Caught many NCAA early round games there.

O'Shea's- Well, they are thriving. It's the O'Shea's of the early years that I miss. It was one room- had the feel of a true Irish pub. I skipped a final at WKU to go to a Bush concert in Cherokee Park. Got there late, missed the show, but spent the rest of the day at O'Sheas. Winner!

BW3- the original St. Matthews location, and the Spring Hurst location. The new ones, blah. Too bright, too open. The first time I played NTN Buzztime trivia was at BW3 St. Matthews. I was hooked.

O'Malley's Corner- a variety of bars, plenty of good people watching. Great location.

Willow Lake Tavern- now Selena's restaurant in Anchorage. The epitome of hole in the wall. Dark, smoky, really nice bar that Selena's still uses. And it was close to home. You went there to throw down.

Quick shout out to bars that I used hit up that are still open:

Joe's- I don't know. I think it's been owned by 4 different parties the last twenty years. Anyway, it's a Lyndon landmark. A group of us will meet there at least once a year for old times sake.

Mr. G's- I've been going there probably since before I was 21. Dark, dingy, outdated, but I absolutely love it. Throw some darts, drink 40 oz draft beers, eat good pizza- no complaints here.

I think most Louisvillians can recall the time in their lives when they transition from Phoenix Hill to Jim Porters. That time for me was a while ago, though, I haven't been to Porters in probably 10 years. Phoenix Hill much longer than that. There's no shame in going to either of them.

Cheers!

This post was edited on 11/24 11:37 AM by CardX

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News