ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like Vince Tyra will be named interim AD

Is this guy any kin to Charlie Tyra? Gawd I hope so if he's going to be affilialiated with UofL.

BoT meeting over. Postel states there is "nothing to report"; "no action taken"; and "will not comment on any personnel matters".

...@Postel_UofL says litigation and personnel matters were discussed but no action was taken.

In other words, they aren't gonna talk about it.
Assuming that Jurich and Pitino are still gone, it could be that they can't take any official action yet because of the contracts require 10 days for Pitino and 30 days for Jurich. Crazy what type of contracts are used in athletics today...I assume these aren't unique.

What experience does he have leading an athletic department?
This is probably very temporary, way more so than the basketball coach because the basketball team needs a coach for the season and no real coach is going to come immediately (very few are available even) when there is no sense yet of what is going to happen with the NCAA. But the school should be able to find a real AD soon, even with the questions.

People forget Howard played and coached at UK...but it sure made him a conflict of interest lol
Yeah and I'm sure you stood up and clapped with glee in April of 2001 when Rick Pitino was named UofL's head basketball coach.

Glass houses.

Last edited:
Reactions: shadow force
David Grissom has invested in Tyra ventures in the past and has other ties to him business wise. Further proof of who is completely running this (shit) show...

No it doesn’t
Then what does? It seems to me you would want someone who is considered a 'visionary' to run the athletic program. Someone who can see where they want the program to strive for and know how to reach for it. If that's not a CEO who has had success doing that, then who is it? Exactly what is the experience needed to become an athletic director? Please, do tell.

Uofk turned him down twice.

Glad they did.

He would turned your program into a winnng one.
Glad you took the chance to take a shot at UK football while comoletely missing my point...but anyways my point is that being a UK grad has nothing to do with new AD's qualifications. Most people can do their job to the best of their ability without letting a school sports rivalry get in the way of their duties to "sabotage" the place.

I think its unfair to question someone's credibility because of their undergrad college degree.

No it doesn’t
Then what does? It seems to me you would want someone who is considered a 'visionary' to run the athletic program. Someone who can see where they want the program to strive for and know how to reach for it. If that's not a CEO who has had success doing that, then who is it? Exactly what is the experience needed to become an athletic director? Please, do tell.

How about someone who has been building their career in college athletics in a University that has prepared him for a top job. So that he is intimately familiar with college rules of governing, Title IX, and at a minimum how athletics intertwine with everything on campus. Or we just might get in this mess again. That’s just a few without digging deep.

No it doesn’t
Agreed.

University: non-profit
Business: for-profit

University: government owned
Business: owned by one more individuals

Not saying one is better or worse than the other; I am saying that there are different objectives and goals to each. There are also different laws, rules, and standards that one has to follow.

We have already seen how success as a CEO in one industry does not make somebody a successful CEO in another industry.

My real question is, why is he qualified to hold this position? I don't know that he is or is not. I would like to hear (or read) what makes him a good candidate for this position.

Reactions: Cue Card
OK. I like the thought process from both of you, but I do have to slightly disagree about non profit versus profit. The athletic department is self sufficient and makes a profit. I don't know where the non profit aspect is coming from.

Non-profit basically means that at the end of the year, you have to have used the money you brought in. All non-profits will try to raise funds to perform the functions that they have; non-profits cannot report a profit at the end of the year.

Running a business successfully in and of itself would not qualify someone to be an AD. Other than both entities wanting to be in the black - an athletic department is completely different than other companies. From the NCAA rules, to dealing with contracts, fundraising, facilities, etc, etc, etc.

I’ve never understood the rationale that some people have for putting “businesspeople” in non- business positions, and I say this as someone who’s owned a business for 20 years. Not trying to turn it political but, look no further than D. C. for a great example of someone who’s unqualified for job they were given and the negative fallout that can occur when someone’s in over their head.

Running a business successfully in and of itself would not qualify someone to be an AD. Other than both entities wanting to be in the black - an athletic department is completely different than other companies. From the NCAA rules, to dealing with contracts, fundraising, facilities, etc, etc, etc.

I’ve never understood the rationale that some people have for putting “businesspeople” in non- business positions, and I say this as someone who’s owned a business for 20 years. Not trying to turn it political but, look no further than D. C. for a great example of someone who’s unqualified for job they were given and the negative fallout that can occur when someone’s in over their head.
IDK. I mean my 401K seems to be doing very well in the last 10 months or so. Not sure why. :p

EDIT:

• DOW
    22,558 +152.51 +0.68%
  • NASDAQ
    6,517 +20.76 +0.32%
  • S&P 500
    2,529 +9.76 +0.39%
I'm good.

IDK. I mean my 401K seems to be doing very well in the last 9 months or so. Not sure why. :p
Mine as well - I imagine it was a crapload better in December 2016 than it was in December 2009.

I’m also really looking forward to that tax cut, but I bet his success with that is similar to healthcare...

Mine as well - I imagine it was a crapload better in December 2016 than it was in December 2009.

I’m also really looking forward to that tax cut, but I bet his success with that is similar to healthcare...
He can't do it alone and his own party won't even back him because that's the swamp fighting back. Think about it. How bad is the 'establishment' going to look if an outsider comes in and gets this stuff done when they couldn't for the past 30 years?

Just saying, and that's the last I'll bring up politics to this board because I like most all of you regardless of your political views, and I come here to get away from that to be honest.

He can't do it alone and his own party won't even back him because that's the swamp fighting back. Think about it. How bad is the 'establishment' going to look if an outsider comes in and gets this stuff done when they couldn't for the past 30 years?

Just saying, and that's the last I'll bring up politics to this board because I like most all of you regardless of your political views, and I come here to get away from that to be honest.
Can’t promise that this will be the last time that any sort of politics creeps into one of my posts but, I understand where you’re coming from. The cynic in me feels like there’s nothing getting done because the ideas aren’t that good and he’s not committed to selling them / seeing them through - he really wants others to do the heavy lifting and he’ll take the credit.

That type of action combined with throwing his own side under the bus if they don’t match in lockstep, and daily erratic behavior has definitely caused mistrust on the right such that they’re now unwilling to stick their necks out for him.

The right was definitely ready for a transformative president - unfortunately they got a guy who just likes playing at it.

I can see right now this is turning into a cluster fux. Just because somebody is related to a former Louisville All American doesn't make them qualified . This is looking like a power grab by a certain group of people who have no experience to run the show successfully. Poor Vince he could end up bringing his family name down and tarnishing his dad's legacy.

I can see right now this is turning into a cluster fux. Just because somebody is related to a former Louisville All American doesn't make them qualified . This is looking like a power grab by a certain group of people who have no experience to run the show successfully. Poor Vince he could end up bringing his family name down and tarnishing his dad's legacy.

He is interim AD and has no interest in the permanent gig. He is there to help make sound day-to-day decisions while the permanent AD situation plays out. While I personally think it would be a bad idea, there still is a decent chance TJ is retained.

Once again how can Vince Tyra help make sound decisions? The only thing in his background that qualifies him is he is his father's son.

Reactions: zipp
Once again how can Vince Tyra help make sound decisions? The only thing in his background that qualifies him is he is his father's son.

He is a successful businessman. It's an athletic director position, it is not like he is gonna have to map the human genome

This is exactly what I believe and fear. We are ripe for a power grab.

Reactions: zipp
Vince Tyra HAS been named "Acting" AD. It's my understanding that the "Acting" moniker is used when the position is filled, but the permanent appointee is unavailable. Hmmmm.

It sounds funny when you say it like that. I mean, we're all our father's son's unless we're our father's daughter's.

Now I'm dizzy. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT