ADVERTISEMENT

Leah Macy

Very true. They certainly watered down my sport, track and field. IMO there is an anti Jefferson County/Louisville bias in the state as well as within the KSHAA.
There is absolutely a bias against Jefferson County in all things. Government, sports, business, etc.

I was a freshman at Trinity when Alan Hennessy was a Senior and led Trinity to their first title in 1968. We played Seneca for the State Title and won. Seneca was very talented and had a defensive player who was all state. I think his name was Bishop the guy was a beast. The Seneca coach was Cain he was a really good coach.
The state of high school athletics in Kentucky Is really disappointing. It has gotten so bad that Trinity went to a national schedule to play some of the best teams in the country. Trinity now plays only 4 schools from Kentucky and those are the 4 schools they have to play to qualify for the state playoffs.
The KHSAA and the state government has really messed up the athletic programs at the high schools. It is a shame because so many kids have missed out on athletic scholarships to college.
I don't know of any who have missed out on a scholarship if they were talented enough. Could you name a few. A point that seems to have been missed here (although not as much for girls sports) is that many of the best athletes in Kentucky, and especially Jefferson County, leave their high schools and go to basketball academies like Oak Hill or IMG in Florida. Rondo, Russell, Glenn, etc. (and currently Magwood) would otherwise have been at Ky schools. This significantly reduces the talent at Ky and Jefferson Co schools.
Also, JCPS louses a lot of middle school athletes to Catholic and other religious and private high schools. I imagine they get "acdemic" or need based scholarships. I seriously doubt they do it because of the math or science departments. I believe the Johnson girl at Sacred Heart would fall into this category.

It is funny that so many people think that the private schools only offer scholarships or aid to athletes only. When I went to Trinity we didn’t have any athletes on scholarships. However, we did have around 75 financially challenged students who were on a free ride. Quite a few of them came from Boys Haven and the West End.
In regards to private grade school kids more kids from private grade schools go to public schools after they graduate then public school kids go to private schools. Can I name the public school kids who didn’t make it athletically, no because they didn’t make it. Most public schools have a large enough student body to produce good athletes.

Like I posted earlier the biggest problem with public school system is the KHSAA and their mentality of trying to make all teams equal. Instead of trying to make them all better they are making them equally worse.

Reactions: Mayoman and 2330859
It is funny that so many people think that the private schools only offer scholarships or aid to athletes only. When I went to Trinity we didn’t have any athletes on scholarships. However, we did have around 75 financially challenged students who were on a free ride. Quite a few of them came from Boys Haven and the West End.
In regards to private grade school kids more kids from private grade schools go to public schools after they graduate then public school kids go to private schools. Can I name the public school kids who didn’t make it athletically, no because they didn’t make it. Most public schools have a large enough student body to produce good athletes.

Like I posted earlier the biggest problem with public school system is the KHSAA and their mentality of trying to make all teams equal. Instead of trying to make them all better they are making them equally worse.
I disagree with the "make all teams equal" assertion you made. In fact the stated KHSAA aim was to increase more team and athletes being able to experience play (participate) at the district, regional or state championship levels. The KHSAA stated as much several years back. I guess one could interpret this move as making all teams equal. This is why you have seen imo the nutty realignments of districts and regions over the year.

What the private schools get to do that the public schools can't do is a whole different discussion. The ability to produce better athletes is based on the quality of coaches you have. How many coaches in the school system acutally have PE type college degrees and took coaching classes versus being a volutunteer or former athlete and passing the coach's test required to coach in Kentucky. It is one thing to know a sport but that does not ensure the ability to be able to teach it so your athletes achieve results at the highest levels. Talent and resources also play a big part.

You can disagree all you want but KHSAA prohibits private schools from practicing all year round like they used to. Because it is unfair to public schools since they can’t do it. Trinity and St X are in different districts but when they play each other the team that loses that game it is a district loss.
Brian Brohm’s senior year at Trinity they were either ranked #1 or #2 in the nation. Don Boscoe Prep of New Jersey at the same time was ranked #1 or #2 in the nation. At the end of the season ESPN wanted to have playoff game between the 2 teams. They offered both teams 3 million and for it to be nationally televised. The KHSAA blocked it from happening.

I agree with you that the private schools have better coaches and facilities in Kentucky. Whose fault is that Trinity plays some high powered public schools from around the country. How come public schools from around the country are doing better than public schools in Kentucky?

Reactions: 2330859
You can disagree all you want but KHSAA prohibits private schools from practicing all year round like they used to. Because it is unfair to public schools since they can’t do it. Trinity and St X are in different districts but when they play each other the team that loses that game it is a district loss.
Brian Brohm’s senior year at Trinity they were either ranked #1 or #2 in the nation. Don Boscoe Prep of New Jersey at the same time was ranked #1 or #2 in the nation. At the end of the season ESPN wanted to have playoff game between the 2 teams. They offered both teams 3 million and for it to be nationally televised. The KHSAA blocked it from happening.

I agree with you that the private schools have better coaches and facilities in Kentucky. Whose fault is that Trinity plays some high powered public schools from around the country. How come public schools from around the country are doing better than public schools in Kentucky?
You are conflating all sorts of things that have nothing to do with your asserion that the KHSAA is trying to make all teams equal when they are not. Their intended goal is to expand the experience in reaching the championship rounds for as many student athletes as possible.

Here is why Trinity & X have to play outside schools. The jefferson county schools can schedule the private school only for district/regional play. Why, the catholic private schools get to recruit and bring in kids from the neighboring counties and Indiana. That is an unfair advantage. This has more to do with the restriction rather making teams equal. The private versus public school advantage battle was fought with the KHSAA years ago. Male is the only public school regularly competive with Trinity and X in FB.

What schools around the country are you referring to and what is the size of their school district and what state are they in? Jefferson county is the largest school district as well as the most populated in the state. A state with a 4.5M people.

Last edited:
Kentucky is one of only a hand full of states where public and private schools compete
in the same association. In most states theyare seperate do to the advantages they have
as mentioned above. Afew years ago the KHSAA voted to be public schools only but it was
overruled by the state legislature.

You can make all the excuses you want explaining why the public schools aren’t competitive now. So in your opinion what changed because at one time they were very competitive. If the private schools and the public schools quit playing each other the private schools would only get richer and better. The public schools would become non existent.

They played Ben Davis, Warren Central and Cathederal high schools in Indiana. They played Lexington Bryan Station and Frederick Douglas High School in Lexington. Brentwood, Father Ryan’s and Montgomery Bell in Tennessee. Play played Elder, Colerain, St Xavier and Moeller from Ohio. They have also played Dunbar and Bolingbrook from Illinois. This is just a small sample since they play about 5 or 6 out of state schools every year.
It is almost comical that you think the public schools don’t recruit. They recruit more than the private schools. In the public schools you can transfer from a school in your area to another school just by saying they offer a class in school A ( like wood shop) that they don’t offer at school B and your in. Nothing against Redman but when he was coach at Male he recruited with no boundaries. Tony Driver was from Bardstown, Ky and he ended up playing at Male. He later became a top defensive player at Louisville.

It was not too long ago where some of the public schools had players from out of state. They were getting them apartments in town and that became their legal residence. So the public schools recruit more than private schools.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman and 2330859
They played Ben Davis, Warren Central and Cathederal high schools in Indiana. They played Lexington Bryan Station and Frederick Douglas High School in Lexington. Brentwood, Father Ryan’s and Montgomery Bell in Tennessee. Play played Elder, Colerain, St Xavier and Moeller from Ohio. They have also played Dunbar and Bolingbrook from Illinois. This is just a small sample since they play about 5 or 6 out of state schools every year.
It is almost comical that you think the public schools don’t recruit. They recruit more than the private schools. In the public schools you can transfer from a school in your area to another school just by saying they offer a class in school A ( like wood shop) that they don’t offer at school B and your in. Nothing against Redman but when he was coach at Male he recruited with no boundaries. Tony Driver was from Bardstown, Ky and he ended up playing at Male. He later became a top defensive player at Louisville.

It was not too long ago where some of the public schools had players from out of state. They were getting them apartments in town and that became their legal residence. So the public schools recruit more than private schools.

Very true. They certainly watered down my sport, track and field. IMO there is an anti Jefferson County/Louisville bias in the state as well as within the KSHAA.

Your last paragraph is totally ridiculous! Five star BULLSHIT. Can you name a player? Can you
name a coach? Can you name their school? Didn't think so.

It is not totally bullshit just because it deflates your argument about private schools being the only ones that recruit. No the public schools recruit and they recruit more than the private schools. They can do it just by transferring from one public school to another based on certain classes being offered. At the private schools money is involved at the public schools no money is involved.

Jason Thompson was a baseball player in Germantown, TN who played sports at Germantown High School. He was a Parade All American who was going to play college ball at Louisville. He never made it to Louisville because he ended up signing a pro contract and had a signing bonus for 1.5 million. Good for him because he ended up blowing his knee out in his first minor league season that ended his career. He was approached by a public school to play his Senior season in Louisville. It had nothing to do with Louisville that is why it didn’t happen.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT