ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky Colonels

yoshukai

2000+
Dec 21, 2002
Few of us sitting around talking about the Colonels . We got Cincy Powell , Mike Carrier , Ron Plummer , none of us can remember the Liggins guys first name . I have Goose Liggins stuck in my mind but I'm thinking he was a Globetrotter ? You guys remember any of more of the early players , before Issel and Gilmore ?

Reactions: Louisvillian
The only players I remember are Wendell Ladner, Atris Gilmore, Ron Thomas, Dan Issel, Louie Dampier, and O'Brien. I sure would like to hear some more names if anybody remembers them. Babe McCarthy was the coach and John Y. Brown was the owner.

I remember the ABA kept challenging the NBA too a playoff and they kept refusing. The year we won the title Sports Illustrated did a big article on the NBA and their refusal to a playoff game. They went into all the reasons on why the Colonels would win the playoff and the closing sentence to the article was " after all we all know what a Kentucky Colonel does to a chicken".

Jim "Goose" Ligon. OP, you might be thinking of Geese Ausby of the Globetrotters if I remember right.

Loved the Colonels as a young kid. Lived down the street from Walt Simon for awhile. Ron Thomas and Louie D. we're my favs.

Jim "Goose" Ligon. OP, you might be thinking of Geese Ausby of the Globetrotters if I remember right.

Loved the Colonels as a young kid. Lived down the street from Walt Simon for awhile. Ron Thomas and Louie D. we're my favs.
lol , what the heck was I thinking! It was Goose Ligon . Seems like he didn't play college ball . Ron Thomas " the plumber ".

Reactions: Louisvillian
Few of us sitting around talking about the Colonels . We got Cincy Powell , Mike Carrier , Ron Plummer , none of us can remember the Liggins guys first name . I have Goose Liggins stuck in my mind but I'm thinking he was a Globetrotter ? You guys remember any of more of the early players , before Issel and Gilmore ?
You are correct sir. It was "Goose". Great guy by the way. Had a storied past before coming to the Colonels that involved some prison time. One of the finest guys you would ever meet. He had a motor that you loved if he was on your team and hated if you played against him. I forgot about the Plummer man. Those were the days. Heck I saw them when they played in white/green uniforms.

What I would give for another pro team in the state. I don't think there is any doubt that Louisville could sustain a pro team.

Reactions: pascat
How about Darel carrier? Played at WKU. Carrier and Dampier were one of best back court tandems ever.
LOL, I watched Carrier play high school ball for Bristow High. He was a force. Bowling Green was loaded with talent around then, by the way. The black high school - High Street High - had amazing ballplayers at that time as well, before integration, although they were allowed in the district tourneys in 1958 or so. I remember this one dude scoring 39 points in 3 straight games before going down on the Finals of the regional. The name "Casey The Cat" comes to mind, ha ha.

Here is a great article based on Carrier's observations of basketball back then. And good stuff on High Street High Bulldogs!!

http://www.bgdailynews.com/special_...cle_c05eeb3a-fdde-11e1-b96e-0019bb2963f4.html

What I would give for another pro team in the state. I don't think there is any doubt that Louisville could sustain a pro team.

Yes, they could. The Yum center, actually the entire state would rally around a pro team, especially if they were pretty good. Thought for sure the Hornets would end up there a few years ago.

Ill get on that. Let me talk to a few of my people and I will see if we can get the ball rolling. We built stone hinge and the pyramids so getting a pro team into Louisville should be a walk in the park. I was thinking of getting Towns from the Timberwolves is there anyone that you prefer? This is your only chance...

I also remember Rick Mount from Purdue playing on the team for a while. I am also for a pro team in Lexington.

The only place for an NBA team in "Kentucky" is northern KY. Play most games in Cincy, maybe a few in Lexington if the team can land any/many ex-LPT players. Not a lotta NBA fans in The Ville.

Little or no chance of an NBA team in Louisville as long as U of L is playing in Bailout Arena. And that's not a given with the silo site now cleared.

As far as the Colonels, Maurice "Mo" Lucas was one bad mutha...

I'm not a NBA fan, went to about 6 games in Charlotte to watch the Hornets. The reason that there are not that many NBA fans in the Ville is because there is not many former U of L players in the league.

I used to love the NBA growing up in the 70s and through the 80s. It seemed that when Kareem retired and The Lakers and Celtics run ended I lost interest for some reason (and I was a 76ers fan back then). I think it was because it then became about one individual (Jordan) instead of teams and rivalries.

I can appreciate the talent of guys like Steph Curry but I don't think I'd walk across the street to watch a pro game now.

Reactions: Mayoman
I'm not a NBA fan, went to about 6 games in Charlotte to watch the Hornets. The reason that there are not that many NBA fans in the Ville is because there is not many former U of L players in the league.
If that linkage existed, we (U of L fans) would be all over the few guys that we have in the NBA. To the contrary, I can't tell you who from U of L is even in the NBA, much less the teams they play for or how they're doing. I hope they're making gazillions in a sport I don't give two sh!ts about...

Reactions: Mayoman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT