ADVERTISEMENT

Jimbo Fisher makes some points about no more scheduling FCS opponents ... I agree with him ...

Pervis_Griffith

25000+
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
With the ACC considering moving to a 9 game conference schedule, with at least 1 scheduled OOC P-5 team, Jimbo Fisher asked some very good questions ... including the necessity for scheduling FCS schools.

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...e-seminoles-urges-reforms-level-playing-field

"Fisher was also adamant about the necessity for Power 5 leagues to continue scheduling FCS opponents. He said the elimination of scheduling FCS programs will have a trickle-down effect on budgets that will ultimately lead to high school players giving up football.

The Big Ten prohibits members from playing an FCS school, a rule that went into effect this season. No other league has that mandate.

"I'll make a statement and if people don't like it, fans [don't like it]: If you don't play an FCS ... how do they make their budget? By playing a big school. How's the Division IIs make their budget? Playing an FCS," Fisher said. "When you start taking these budgets away, where are all the high school football players going to go? Why are they going to play football when all these teams drop football? You're killing the sport for ego."

Frankly, I would love to see a pre-season game for all Division I FBS programs, to schedule 1 FCS program, to play the week before the season starts. Like the NFL, this game would NOT count toward the official record. But it would be a ticketed game. Which would allow the home team to earn some cash, and pay the FCS opponent accordingly. Then, BOTH levels could turn their attention to their football seasons, with this warm up out of the way. There is nothing worse, than one of these "pay day" game in late November, in my opinion. Put it before the season starts, and there'd be all kinds of attention, as fans get to see their teams for the first time.

Reactions: Bardman
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News