ADVERTISEMENT

Jax St good prep for GaTech

Knucklehank1

6000+
Jul 12, 2004
JaxSt runs a poor man’s version of the Georgia Tech offense. Works out well that we had them this week. There are a couple things we need to tighten up: 1) our linebackers struggled in coverage. They were a step slow on the slant and out routes by JSU. 2) we gotta do a little better on zone read from the QB. The JSU qb was a tough dude and was able to get our second level pretty routinely. Georgia Tech’s QB is a big, physical guy that can move if you give him space.

After a rough 2nd quarter it seemed like our defense settled in. It’s tough to prepare for the tempo JSU plays at. All in all a very good effort, just a couple of things to work on.

Reactions: ulcards1
Yes, the LB's were getting beat in coverage way too much and the DB's were being ran over by this backup QB. I was impressed with Huff and look for him to eventually transfer to a bigger program.

But the Cards cleaned that up in the 2nd half using their depth. Cards didn't blitz much which surprised me a little bit. I think the coaches are holding back things on both sides of the ball in these two cupcake games.

Yes, the LB's were getting beat in coverage way too much and the DB's were being ran over by this backup QB. I was impressed with Huff and look for him to eventually transfer to a bigger program.

But the Cards cleaned that up in the 2nd half using their depth. Cards didn't blitz much which surprised me a little bit. I think the coaches are holding back things on both sides of the ball in these two cupcake games.
You don't blitz much with an QB, and an RPO offense that GAX and GT runs. The QB does not drop back and pass in most plays. He moves the pocket, and throws on the run, after he decides if he run it himself, or hands it off. UL made an adjustment by putting a spy on him in the second half. Also moved Gillotte inside to utilize his athleticism against the QB, since he was being ineffective as an edge rusher. Great adjustments by English, and we will do something like this with Hayes QB at GT.

Reactions: Guardman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT