ADVERTISEMENT

Its not Petrino....thats throwing the ball

UVA exposed a lotta people incl. the guys on the sidelines. And Lefors didn't have much of an arm as a senior...

Lefors was pinpoint accurate and great at reading defenses. Cunningham is neither right now.

Lefors was pinpoint accurate and great at reading defenses. Cunningham is neither right now.
I was responding to the remark about arm strength (hop's reference "throwing downfield").

Lefors was outstanding at decision-making, deciding when to throw and to whom, in addition to his foot speed. Those abilities mask a lot of issues with your arm...

I was responding to the remark about arm strength (hop's reference "throwing downfield").

Lefors was outstanding at decision-making, deciding when to throw and to whom, in addition to his foot speed. Those abilities mask a lot of issues with your arm...

My comment about Malik not throwing down field has zero to do with his arm strength. He can't read a defense and doesn't trust himself, which is to be expected. So he's throwing check downs immediately or running. Mostly just running. Which isn't tough to defend.

When I say he won't throw it down the field I mean a 10 yard pass in distance. He's not comfortable doing it.

Reactions: BPGhost
My comment about Malik not throwing down field has zero to do with his arm strength. He can't read a defense and doesn't trust himself, which is to be expected. So he's throwing check downs immediately or running. Mostly just running. Which isn't tough to defend.

When I say he won't throw it down the field I mean a 10 yard pass in distance. He's not comfortable doing it.
It's hard to argue with you when I watched Virginia putting 11 guys in the box.

Reactions: LouisvilleKid79

Well that's fine too. He's a freshman, and the team's not playing any worse with him at QB already.

The issue isn't Malik, it's Pass...

I do know NP hasn't landed ONE recruit in 5 years! His area of recruiting has been bone dry! And CBP couldn't wait to deride the people who brought up Howard's system for developing QB's but he has one more NC than CBP and his QB's were better pre

I do know NP hasn't landed ONE recruit in 5 years! His area of recruiting has been bone dry! And CBP couldn't wait to deride the people who brought up Howard's system for developing QB's but he has one more NC than CBP and his QB's were better pre

What area does Nick Petrino recruit?

Well that's fine too. He's a freshman, and the team's not playing any worse with him at QB already.

The issue isn't Malik, it's Pass...

An inability to throw north south is an issue, Petrino agreed. That's why he sacked him at the half vs U VA. 30 yards passing at the half is a major issue for a Petrino offense.

Pass showed a little life Saturday, that's the other reason we didn't see Malik.

Team had 24 1st Downs, 420 yards, and more time of possession. That's a major improvement. I don't think Malik would have produced the same output due to his limitations.

Has Pass arrived? Of course not. But he is the best option if you are wanting to throw and try to have a balanced offense.

I'm not saying he's bench proof or Malik should never play, but It's pretty clear Malik should not start.

The fallout from the atrocious end game situation has yet to unfold.

I assume Pass gets the call again Friday, but their are no guarantees.

Last edited:
An inability to throw north south is an issue, Petrino agreed. That's why he sacked him at the half vs U VA. 30 yards passing at the half is a major issue for a Petrino offense.

Pass showed a little life Saturday, that's the other reason we didn't see Malik.

Team had 24 1st Downs, 420 yards, and more time of possession. That's a major improvement. I don't think Malik would have produced the same output due to his limitations.

Has Pass arrived? Of course not. But he is the best option if you are wanting to throw and try to have a balanced offense.

I'm not saying he's bench proof or Malik should never play, but It's pretty clear Malik should not start.

The fallout from the atrocious end game situation has yet to unfold.

I assume Pass gets the call again Friday, but their are no guarantees.
I never said Malik should start or get more minutes. The SECOND HALF of Saturday's game showed that Petrino/Pass are not the only way going forward. That was three points in a half against a pretty underaverage team.

Pass doesn't deserve that commitment, and Petrino doesn't need to show him that. I'll close by quoting the stat one more time... Pass is now 0-3 in games he's finished.

Throwing for 30 yards and scoring 0 pts in a half against an awful team ain't the way to go. Your coach agreed.

Lol @ 0-3 In games finished! For sure should have beat the Tide. I agree with you Kerry!

Throwing for 30 yards and scoring 0 pts in a half against an awful team ain't the way to go. Your coach agreed.

Lol @ 0-3 In games finished! For sure should have beat the Tide. I agree with you Kerry!
N/P, we'll just say it's 0-2, and I can mention against Virginia and FSU. I kinda like that stat better anyway... ;)

I never said Malik should start or get more minutes. The SECOND HALF of Saturday's game showed that Petrino/Pass are not the only way going forward. That was three points in a half against a pretty underaverage team.

Pass doesn't deserve that commitment, and Petrino doesn't need to show him that. I'll close by quoting the stat one more time... Pass is now 0-3 in games he's finished.
You seem to have an agenda here Zipp. Pass has outplayed Cunningham and deserves to be the starter. He has things to clean up for sure - like hitting open receivers 25 yds down the field in the slot - but his upside at this point is greater than Cunningham's. I would have no problem with Petrino using Cunningham with specific packages or even, giving him regular time in games - to keep defenses guessing.

You seem to have an agenda here Zipp. Pass has outplayed Cunningham and deserves to be the starter. He has things to clean up for sure - like hitting open receivers 25 yds down the field in the slot - but his upside at this point is greater than Cunningham's. I would have no problem with Petrino using Cunningham with specific packages or even, giving him regular time in games - to keep defenses guessing.
I'm good with that approach, and I have no agenda except equity and objectivity. I'm not favoring Malik over Jawon. Right now, however, we're doing the opposite. And there's little basis for that besides people wanting to rely on eye tests. That generally ain't me...

The biggest difference between the two to me, is that Pass will stand back there, knowing it's collapsing, and throw the ball somewhere. He probably doesn't try to escape for time enough.

His toughness back there stands out to me. Get the play called quicker, so he can better sense where it might be coming from.

I don’t know. Was Willie Taggart so smart that he had their defense adjust to Pass and disguised it so well that Bobby couldn’t adjust? Or the more likelihood is that Pass can’t read defenses?

Reactions: zipp
I don’t know. Was Willie Taggart so smart that he had their defense adjust to Pass and disguised it so well that Bobby couldn’t adjust? Or the more likelihood is that Pass can’t read defenses?
That's actually an excellent question about what we witnessed in the 2nd half. Of course, you can't discount that most of the receivers Pass was missing were wide open...

I'm good with that approach, and I have no agenda except equity and objectivity. I'm not favoring Malik over Jawon. Right now, however, we're doing the opposite. And there's little basis for that besides people wanting to rely on eye tests. That generally ain't me...

Pointing out over 300 yards passing, being the QB of the offense that held time of possession advantage over opponent, hitting 7 different receivers, leading team to 24 1st downs.... 420 yards of total offense....These aren't eye test evidence examples. These are real statistical talking points. 4 different receivers with a play of 20+ yards. None RB screens. Stats.

30 yards passing in a half isn't an eye test either. It's a stat our backup QB produced, which is unfortunate.

Can Pass build on his first legit game? I'm not projecting he will but I hope so.

Pointing out over 300 yards passing, being the QB of the offense that held time of possession advantage over opponent, hitting 7 different receivers, leading team to 24 1st downs.... These aren't eye test evidence examples. These are real statistical talking points.

30 yards passing in a half isn't an eye test either. It's a stat our backup QB produced.
If you want a comprehensive stat analysis based on minutes played to date for both QBs, I'll come up with that. I'm going to predict before I get to that point that it won't show much difference between QBs, but we'll see...

If you want a comprehensive stat analysis based on minutes played to date for both QBs, I'll come up with that. I'm going to predict before I get to that point that it won't show much difference between QBs, but we'll see...

You going to factor in the D rating of opponent while you do that? Good luck with that. Malik played 0 against the two top D's UofL played against. You aren't going to be able to produce a legit stat comparison.

FSU has a top 40 D efficiency rating. Alabama is Alabama.

Pass doesn't deserve that commitment, and Petrino doesn't need to show him that.

Well your coach gave that commitment to him last game. Good to see you have evolved into arm chair QB!

To quote your stock response to other posters... "I'll trust the guy in charge over message board QB's!"

Oh my!

The simple fact of the matter is that reading defenses shouldn’t have come into play in that situation. Petrino (the play caller) should have said in the huddle that they were running the damn ball 3 straight times. Do that - and you win.

When Virginia was putting 11 guys within 10 yards of the LOS and Malik couldn't throw it down the field it was easy to see Pass is a better option no matter how flawed he is. I'm with the other poster about needing a special package for Malik when we need to run the ball.

Pass appears to be the best option at QB right now until or if he wipes out. Kid played well and made strides against FSU. Cunningham is not the answer at QB right now. Teams will load the box and force him to throw/beat them consistently with throws down field. See UVA game.

If Pass falls flat or this thing really starts to look like BP 2.10, I think we will see Travis before Cunningham again.

Who knows.

The simple fact of the matter is that reading defenses shouldn’t have come into play in that situation. Petrino (the play caller) should have said in the huddle that they were running the damn ball 3 straight times. Do that - and you win.
Well, the week before on the 3 yard line, we ran it 3 straight times and lost yardage and couldn’t score...

Reactions: zipp
Yeah I don’t want you to have to think about something like a fumble or we run 3 times and don’t get a first down and get a FG blocked for a TD. You know football stuff.
"nccardfan said:
Well, the week before on the 3 yard line, we ran it 3 straight times and lost yardage and couldn’t score..."

So that's the comment that I was responding to. Had you said something along the lines of "well we still could have fumbled, etc" - I would have agreed with you that type of "football stuff" could have indeed happened.

That said, "football stuff" notwithstanding, running the ball three times was the vastly superior percentage play and, was what should have occurred. Shit - they could have taken a knee three times if they were concerned with fumbling. Also any coach worrying about a defensive blocked FG for a TD enough that it factors into your play calling from the 25 yd line with 2 minutes to go - is a giant dumbass and should turn in their whistle until the end of time.

"nccardfan said:
Well, the week before on the 3 yard line, we ran it 3 straight times and lost yardage and couldn’t score..."

So that's the comment that I was responding to. Had you said something along the lines of "well we still could have fumbled, etc" - I would have agreed with you that type of "football stuff" could have indeed happened.

That said, "football stuff" notwithstanding, running the ball three times was the vastly superior percentage play and, was what should have occurred. Shit - they could have taken a knee three times if they were concerned with fumbling. Also any coach worrying about a defensive blocked FG for a TD enough that it factors into your play calling from the 25 yd line with 2 minutes to go - is a giant dumbass and should turn in their whistle until the end of time.

In hindsight. The vastly superior play was to score a TD and put it out of reach. Always concerned with fumbling and we have fumbles from Hall, Jeremy smith, Pass... Right so why should Petrino worry about getting a pass intercepted... but it happened.

In hindsight. The vastly superior play was to score a TD and put it out of reach. Always concerned with fumbling and we have fumbles from Hall, Jeremy smith, Pass... Right so why should Petrino worry about getting a pass intercepted... but it happened.
You’re right - they should have called that play that would have scored a TD and put it out of reach - in fact, they should call that vastly superior play every time and then they’d beat everyone by a hundred and go 14-0 every year - lol.

Even if they did call that play that scores - clearly they’d have to then worry about the ensuing kickoff being run back for a TD AND THEN, the ensuing onside kick by FSU being a scoop and score for the Seminoles.

With so many ways to lose - it’s no wonder a pass play was called. :rolleyes:

Knucklehank, he has the west side of Florida, specifically the Tampa area. Dennison had South Florida, I believe Grady Brown has it now and Kolby works North Florida and his hometown of Tallahassee. I don't remember one recruit coming because of Nick but plenty have mentioned LD Scott when they sign here.

Reactions: Knucklehank1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT