ADVERTISEMENT

Is it just me

Feb 27, 2005
Or does anyone else see "anti-Pitino" play? Forced shots, not looking for the extra pass, contested shots early in shot clock, etc. You know all the things that Pitino would quickly pull players for doing?

Do you think the guys fought for Padgett because they felt a "get away with more" opportunity?

I am not complaining, just a whole different dynamic (and not a surprising one) through five games. It just seems really noticeable.

I can't recall if Padgett has said this publicly, but it's been clear so far he's allowing players to play through their mistakes.

I can't recall if Padgett has said this publicly, but it's been clear so far he's allowing players to play through their mistakes.
Doubt that he would say that in public as it would be construed by some as a shot at pitino. Reality is though - he has to let the freshmen play through their mistakes for several reasons.

1. In a couple cases - they are as good as the upperclassmen they're replacing. In the cases where they're not - those guys are leaving after this year anyway.
2. If Padgett wants the interim tag removed - more important than winning this year - he has to be able to recruit - both potential players and existing ones. He can't have a mass transfer exodus from the current roster and, he has to demonstrate to potential recruits that they can come in and get clock right away.

I'm not suggesting that he can go 12-20 but if he goes .500 or better and not have recruiting fall completely off of the map, or maybe even pull in a top 50 recruit or two - he's got a legitimate shot.

Keep in mind, too, that, if he does not get the head coach gig, the new head coach will most likely bring in his own assistants. So, either he gets the head coach job here or he coaches somewhere else. I suspect he will want a head coaching job some place else, and is wanting to do things his way, such as letting freshman play through mistakes or learn in the game rather than prove it in practice.

Basically, I suspect he wants to coach his own way and not be a clone of Pitino's style of coaching.

Or does anyone else see "anti-Pitino" play? Forced shots, not looking for the extra pass, contested shots early in shot clock, etc. You know all the things that Pitino would quickly pull players for doing?

Do you think the guys fought for Padgett because they felt a "get away with more" opportunity?

I am not complaining, just a whole different dynamic (and not a surprising one) through five games. It just seems really noticeable.

The scoring droughts and tough defense seemed very much Pitino like to me. Freshmen playing and good free throw shooting seemed un-Pitino like.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT