ADVERTISEMENT

Interesting thread....

Interesting. But.... it should have never come down to that. There were a lot of questionable calls and no calls, if we played our game for all four quarters, we win hands down. That TD we allowed right before the half was killer just to name a few.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
Interesting. But.... it should have never come down to that. There were a lot of questionable calls and no calls, if we played our game for all four quarters, we win hands down. That TD we allowed right before the half was killer just to name a few.

Exactly. I hated to bring it up but I think that's where the OP was going.

Reactions: CommodoreCard

Respectfully disagree. Not saying Louisville wouldn't win if both teams played their A game...it's definitely possible. However, Clemson was -3 in the turnover margin...two of which occured deep in the red zone.

The turnovers gave Louisville such an advantage in Time Of Possession and amount of plays ran (Louisville ran 99 plays and Clemson ran 62).

This led to our defense getting gassed (similar to our game against Notre Dame last year) and allowed Louisville's offense to have its way in the second half...which is scary when you have Lamar Jackson running the show.

As for offensive efficiency, Clemson averaged 8.2 yards per play to Louisville's 5.7...so without all the mistakes, Clemson definitely held its own against Louisville. With this, if both teams are playing their A game...I don't think anybody can say with confidence which team would definitely win...I see these as two very evenly matched teams.

Lastly, I agree that the officiating was pretty suspect...but I think it was suspect for both teams. There were a few blatant holds and a pass interference right in front of the official by Louisville that wasn't called...and Clemson got away with some holding as well. On the flip side, some of the calls that were made, were pretty skeptical too...just poor/inconsistent officiating on both sides of the ball if you ask me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6thDanTKD
However, Clemson was -3 in the turnover margin...two of which occured deep in the red zone.

The turnovers gave Louisville such an advantage in Time Of Possession and amount of plays ran (Louisville ran 99 plays and Clemson ran 62).

This led to our defense getting gassed (similar to our game against Notre Dame last year) and allowed Louisville's offense to have its way in the second half...which is scary when you have Lamar Jackson running the show.

I always see posters make claims like these. Don't take this the wrong way, not attacking you.

First off, the turnover margin was 2, not 3.

But that said, it's as if fans think that turnovers are not part of the game, so if they make turnovers and feel it's uncharacteristic, they kind of spin that they didn't play their best.

The reality is, any team playing against this Louisville defense that's willing to open up their offense, which can score in a hurry, will also be susceptible to turnovers, because the Louisville D has play makers all over the field.

There was so much talent on both sides of the ball, so much speed, big plays are going to be there all night for the offenses, defenses, and special teams - for both teams.

The 5 turnovers feel like an anomaly to you, because you guys haven't played this type of defense this year.

Louisville lost their composure entirely too long in the 2nd Q and the mental lapses against a stout opponent on their home field was the difference.

Last edited:
Check out the Troy Clemson game Troy strips their running back at the goal line and runs a fumble back 95 yards for a TD when the ref sees him running the other way with the ball he blows the play dead the back was no where near down it was a clear fumble and the TD would have given Troy the win blatant hose job.Then there is UNC getting hosed on the onside kick in the championship game refs were suspended in that but what does that matter when they make sure Clemson gets the trophy.

Check out the Troy Clemson game Troy strips their running back at the goal line and runs a fumble back 95 yards for a TD when the ref sees him running the other way with the ball he blows the play dead the back was no where near down it was a clear fumble and the TD would have given Troy the win blatant hose job.Then there is UNC getting hosed on the onside kick in the championship game refs were suspended in that but what does that matter when they make sure Clemson gets the trophy.

Fiction sure is fun.

Fiction sure is fun.
video does not lie but cheating refs do i suggest you watch the fumble in the Troy game then tell me if the runner was down hard to be down when your standing upright Troy should have won and UNC should have had the chance to score and win.

video does not lie but cheating refs do i suggest you watch the fumble in the Troy game then tell me if the runner was down hard to be down when your standing upright Troy should have won and UNC should have had the chance to score and win.

Holy crap the call was forward progress not down... You truly have no clue wtf you are talking about.

UNC lined up illegally so no they should not have had that chance.

He was not down...his forward progress had been well stopped...to the point where the sideline officials were already coming in blowing the play dead, prior to the call being stripped.

I always see posters make claims like these. Don't take this the wrong way, not attacking you.

First off, the turnover margin was 2, not 3.

But that said, it's as if fans think that turnovers are not part of the game, so if they make turnovers and feel it's uncharacteristic, they kind of spin that they didn't play their best.

The reality is, any team playing against this Louisville defense that's willing to open up their offense, which can score in a hurry, will also be susceptible to turnovers, because the Louisville D has play makers all over the field.

There was so much talent on both sides of the ball, so much speed, big plays are going to be there all night for the offenses, defenses, and special teams - for both teams.

The 5 turnovers feel like an anomaly to you, because you guys haven't played this type of defense this year.

Louisville lost their composure entirely too long in the 2nd Q and the mental lapses against a stout opponent on their home field was the difference.

My apologies...for some reason I was under the impression that Clemson had 6 turnovers instead of the actual 5 that they had. Also, I understand that turnovers/not playing up to your capabilities are a part of the game.

Regardless, the point I was making was that both teams had moments in the game where they weren't firing on all cylinders and made some critical errors, but both teams also had moments where they really imposed their will on the other.

Looking at the game objectively, I just don't see how anyone could definitively pick a winner, if the two teams were to play again. I really believe these are two very evenly matched programs, and the winner would come down to the final possession.

The fact that Clemson was able to win the game after being -2 in the turnover margin with 5 total turnovers (2 occurring deep in the red zone/end zone), is astounding. Couple that with the fact that Louisville ran 99 offensive plays to Clemson's 62, and it's just mind boggling.

I consider myself a very rational fan. I actually picked Louisville to win the game (I was so certain Louisville would win, that I even lost a decent amount of money on it). But we finally got to see the Clemson team get closer to what we all knew they were capable of all season. The talent is certainly there, but decision making and execution have been suspect all season.

It wasn't perfect Saturday night, but it was much better...and Clemson finally proved to me that they can hang with (not necessarily beat) pretty much anyone in the nation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT