ADVERTISEMENT

I'm sorry but it is what it is

Senore, I enjoy your baseball posts on TOS. I esp. enjoy your in-depth knowledge about the team and our recruiting. And you know I see eye-to-eye with you on many subjects.

But there's no way you can simply write off the end of the season as this team "doing it's job" except for one guy. We scored eight runs in the last three games of the NCAA tourney. That's 2.7 runs per game after averaging 7.7 the prior 61 games. We only scored five runs the last two games of the ACC tourney against teams (Clemson and UVA) that were bounced hosting regionals. Thumping Wake, Western Michigan, and tOSU down the stretch didn't prove anything in hindsight.

We didn't lose the last game because one guy choked in one inning. We had many guys doing their fair share toward that outcome the final three games--if not more--of the season.

I continue to argue those 7.7 runs per game and 2.82 ERA were illusions anyway. I don't really care about the last three games except to regard it as our true performance finally catching up with us. Like the rest of the ACC, we finished the season disappointed. But when that happens to everyone, it wasn't that one TEAM underperformed. Unless you can show that all ACC teams declined simultaneously--along with the SEC of course--or that everyone else improved, we were simply overrated during the course of the season. Can't fault anyone for that--how would anyone know? You only could know when ACC teams lined up and started playing teams nationally when the games really counted.

There is no other logical conclusion. Again no disrespect, but you're perhaps too close to the baseball team--which normally is of great value--to see things objectively...

Senore, I enjoy your baseball posts on TOS. I esp. enjoy your in-depth knowledge about the team and our recruiting. And you know I see eye-to-eye with you on many subjects.

But there's no way you can simply write off the end of the season as this team "doing it's job" except for one guy. We scored eight runs in the last three games of the NCAA tourney. That's 2.7 runs per game after averaging 7.7 the prior 61 games. We only scored five runs the last two games of the ACC tourney against teams (Clemson and UVA) that were bounced hosting regionals. Thumping Wake, Western Michigan, and tOSU down the stretch didn't prove anything in hindsight.

We didn't lose the last game because one guy choked in one inning. We had many guys doing their fair share toward that outcome the final three games--if not more--of the season.

I continue to argue those 7.7 runs per game and 2.82 ERA were illusions anyway. I don't really care about the last three games except to regard it as our true performance finally catching up with us. Like the rest of the ACC, we finished the season disappointed. But when that happens to everyone, it wasn't that one TEAM underperformed. Unless you can show that all ACC teams declined simultaneously--along with the SEC of course--or that everyone else improved, we were simply overrated during the course of the season. Can't fault anyone for that--how would anyone know? You only could know when ACC teams lined up and started playing teams nationally when the games really counted.

There is no other logical conclusion. Again no disrespect, but you're perhaps too close to the baseball team--which normally is of great value--to see things objectively...
Fair enough, Zip. But my point remains. You win baseball games by outscoring the other guys, no matter how ugly that may be. A team with 3 All American pitchers should show that winning ballgames 1-0, 2-1 are what baseball is all about. Complaining because a team in the post season does not average the 7 runs a game we fans want so badly does a disservice to the sport itself. Having enough runs to win with 3 outs left in ballgames, is most assuredly "doing their job": I am surprised this is even in question. The irony of winning more games than anyone in baseball - which was our honor - included no end of wins and losses of the few runs type. Winning by one run is as large in baseball as winning by 20.

The postseason is a vastly different season. And, having said that, the Regionals, the Super Regionals and the CWS are all vastly different even amongst themselves. It turns out you need fewer, not more pitchers as the advancements wear on. Virginia won it all last season with just two quality pitchers. And as a 3 Seed, no less.

Was I disappointed in how frustrating it was watching Corey Ray become a net negative offensively? Hell yes. Nick Solak, Corey - our best ballplayers sucked at the plate and were way too anxious, approaches which surprised and disappointed us all.

But they also delivered in our final game, even if by merely supporting Tiberi and Brendan.

Are you a Papelbon fan? LOL, how about Calvin Schirardi? Both relievers are absolutely infamous for blowing important games and leads, yet both were considered at the top of their craft. Brad Liege - even Mariano Rivera gave up a WS game winner and he was the closest thing to perfect ever in the closer role.

It goes with the territory. They toss 20 pitches a week. How hard is that?

I daresay Miami is not disappointed and I can guarantee that BC was not disappointed in making the Supers. What was disappointing was that they had to face each other. Florida state was a hot team but ended up matched with the No.1 team in the country. You can't look at our last few games and say the entire ACC was overrated. We ended up facing a lot better pitching in postseason which is always the case. Dan made his share of mistakes, but to be honest, he really didn't make any adjustments except trying to put smith in the leadoff instead of Corey. To me that was a desperation move, that could have been made sooner.

I think moving Will up made perfect sense and offered the team a different look, which they may well have needed. He made a reasonable choice. Too bad he didn't move Nick down to #2 and put our hottest hitter, Tiberi at #3.

Yes, it was a choke job, but by one guy. Sadly enough, 2 years in a row.

Both times the "choking team" gave an All American closer the ball with a lead, this time of 3 runs.

The team did its job. He didn't. That is what it is - nothing more.
I agree with you that the team did plenty enough to win however some of the blame is with the pitch selection. Williams calls all the pitches - why in the world would you call a changeup to a guy hitting .200 and, who fouled off fastballs sideways? Their coach said that he was hoping the kid would get a changeup. He's swinging at fastball - gets an 86 mile per hour change and barrels it. Some of this is definitely on Burdi for not being able to locate with earlier batters but, Williams out thought himself there. You never lose throwing your 2nd (or in this case 3rd) best pitch.

Hard not to agree, but - and this is important - the pitcher has the floor. He is pitching. What Burdi learned was that he probably should have shook off the call and threw a heater right down the middle. No way that kid was connecting on his heater. Instead, Burdi located a softball right in his friggin wheelhouse.

Hard not to agree, but - and this is important - the pitcher has the floor. He is pitching. What Burdi learned was that he probably should have shook off the call and threw a heater right down the middle. No way that kid was connecting on his heater. Instead, Burdi located a softball right in his friggin wheelhouse.
From what I've seen (read) I appreciate your baseball IQ. Shaking off the best pitching coach in America (my thoughts) in a super regional as a 21 (22?) year old kid is a big ask. Will he learn that he's in control? I hope his professional career is long enough but in college, it's about following orders.

It depends on how imperious Wiliams and Coach Mac are about their calls, doesn't it? Cisco Garcia screwed with the major micromanager Pitino big time, at one point even putting himself back into a game without Pitino asking, lol. Russ Smith drove him nutso. Anas threw a behind the back pass in heavy traffic in a ball game, lol.

Sometimes, the players do what they are compelled to think what is best. Even Marines are supposed to adapt and innovate. At some point, players make their own decisions.

Burdi's pitch could not have been thrown to the location desired, having said that. Had it been low and outside, instead of right in the wheelhouse, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. But did his instinctual sense get interfered with by micromanaging? I think that is a valid question. I give Roger huge marks for his pitch calls almost 99.9% of the time.

It makes me saying what I say almost absurdly inappropriate, I realize. Burdi's nerves were seriously acting up. I honestly don't know of an easy answer to any of it all. Just that no one should be cranking homers off a freaking All American, $2 million dollar closer on a 1-2 count with the bases loaded in the last inning, carrying a 3 run lead. LOL, that is Christian Laettner Miracle Shot country.

Reactions: BPGhost
ACC and SEC now 43-40 in the postseason.

RPI - Conference

0.5692 ACC
0.5624 SEC

0.5403 Big XII
0.5368 Pac 12

0.5269 CUSA
0.5235 American
0.5210 Big Ten

So far, looks like Florida and Miami are performing in line with their conferences.

Texas Tech lost to another Big XII team--one had to lose.

Thanks for mentioning those teams...

No, I said I was pulling for Miami since they're an ACC team. And like the rest of the ACC, they've flamed out again. Which precisely underscores the point I was making about the ACC being overrated.

Try getting your facts straight while you're trolling around...

I have one thought, I don^t care if you are Clemons, Ryan, Fingers if you walk 2 batters in a row your button is coming out of the game. I would have gone to Funkhowser.

Reactions: Deeva
No, I said I was pulling for Miami since they're an ACC team. And like the rest of the ACC, they've flamed out again. Which precisely underscores the point I was making about the ACC being overrated.

Try getting your facts straight while you're trolling around...
No the point is that at this point anyone is capable of winning because all of these teams have at least two good starting pitchers, good hitters and solid closers. Same thing that the Cards had.

I have one thought, I don^t care if you are Clemons, Ryan, Fingers if you walk 2 batters in a row your button is coming out of the game. I would have gone to Funkhowser.
I totally agree. Really felt at multiple times in the season the coaches left pitchers (at least starters) in wayyy too long. I would have pulled Burdi as well. But in the moment...that would have been a tough call to make. Better to have brought someone else in for the 8th inning and then Burdi for the 9th. All hindsight. They had a great season - period. It was a fun ride and unfortunately it ended prematurely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT