ADVERTISEMENT

"I'm A New Kyle, Bigger And Better."

shadow force

Jun 8, 2010
Just five months after undergoing multiple brain procedures, former University of Louisville basketball standout Kyle Kuric returned to competition with his Herbalife Gran Canaria basketball team in Spain.A video released Sunday by the team showed Kuric being announced in the lineup, taking the court wearing a headband from the company 2nd Skull, and being greeted by a standing ovation.

Kuric had surgery last November after headaches led to the discovery of meningioma, a benign brain tumor that threatened his spinal cord. He endured an additional surgery to release swelling on the brain, and has faced a tricky recovery.

“It wasn’t easy,” Kuric said in the video. “I had to get up and learn how to walk again. But when you’re working towards a goal, life has special meaning. . . . I had lost a lot of muscle mass, and there hadn’t been any cases like mine. We had to improvise along the way in order to get back to the level I was before, focusing on my training sessions, my nutrition, and above all, my mind.”

Kuric, at the end of the video, proclaimed, “I’m a new Kyle, bigger and better.”

“When something bad happens in life, you have two choices, let it destroy you, or to gain strength from it,” Kuric said in his promotional video. “Overcoming the fear of failure was the first step of the difficult journey that led me here. It wasn’t easy. . . . There were moments of doubt. They say the hardest challenge is competing against yourself, not against others. I knew I had many things worth fighting for, and fear was not an option. I said to myself, I’m not going to let this destroy me. The difficulties in life make you stronger. The question is, what are you willing to do for the things you love? And the answer was clear to me: everything.”

Last edited:
Congrats to him. You hate seeing kids careers ended from medical issues such as these. Glad he could overcome it. Obviously hated the cards when he played for them but as a player couldn't find anything wrong with him. Good representative of the school and state

Last edited:
Great news for Kuric. Regardless of college affiliation, I hate to see anyone struck by tragedy like this. It's awesome that he can continue to live his dream.

Reactions: JohnCard28
Kyle is an icon here. We watched him from his freshman season when he would - on the rare cases he played - make unbelievable rebounds in tough going - often on missed free throws. He simply outleaped everyone, a la Siva then and Mitchell now.

Even without this part of his story, his status was enlarged - his breakout game against #1 Syracuse in the final game at Freedom Hall cemented that with some adhesive power, lol. He played on the scrappy Final Four team and his defensive gifts were of huge value.

Now, with this, it's just more endearing. I am not sure his legend could get bigger. He is an absolute treasure.

This really is amazing. Kyle is an inspiration. What strength of will and perseverance. I think many may not realize that on top of the huge physical obstacles, how much stress and worry Kyle likely has to overcome to continue to play. Most in Kyle's position feel like they live life in defined segments - from MRI scan to MRI scan (which for him is probably every 3-6 months). That's a lot of anxiety to have to deal with and remain focused enough to continue playing on a competitive level. Please, keep these wonderful updates coming.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT