ADVERTISEMENT

If true about money and new HC hire Grissom is rotten

REDFISTFURY3

4500+
Mar 21, 2015
Being circulated that Grissom is balking at money for a very good coach. If this school can't get a certain coach due to Grissom and resistance to pay top dollar. It will be a fact Bevin and his cronies are trying to bring down this athletic program.

Reactions: Vestavia57
Bevin is not trying to bring down U of L. He inherited a mess created by the old Board and Ram$ey. He selected Grissom to clean it up. Maybe it was not a great choice but it is way too soon to say that. Who would you have picked?

Kind of makes me wonder why Kenny Paynes name has been brought up could be back up plan just in case Grissom doesn't pay up! Wouldn't have to give him extreme top dollar. Just my own opinion !

Bevin is not trying to bring down U of L. He inherited a mess created by the old Board and Ram$ey. He selected Grissom to clean it up. Maybe it was not a great choice but it is way too soon to say that. Who would you have picked?
And here comes the apologist go up the road and root for the blue.

Reactions: CommodoreCard
It will be a fact Bevin and his cronies are trying to bring down this athletic program.
That's been my concern/fear/feeling from the start of all this by how it all went down. If any of you have noticed, no other program implicated in the FBI stink/sting has fired their head coach and athletic director. Hell most continue to play players who were named. Not only did UofL lose its hall of fame coach and the best athletic director the school has ever had, they also lost a 5 star player plus a couple more that were committed to playing for the Cardinals.

This whole thing has stunk from the start.

That's been my concern/fear/feeling from the start of all this by how it all went down. If any of you have noticed, no other program implicated in the FBI stink/sting has fired their head coach and athletic director. Hell most continue to play players who were named. Not only did UofL lose its hall of fame coach and the best athletic director the school has ever had, they also lost a 5 star player plus a couple more that were committed to playing for the Cardinals.

This whole thing has stunk from the start.
And we would have not fired Pitino either had he not previously been involved in a scandal that cost us an NCAA title and had sex on a table in a local restaurant that turned into an FBI extortion investigation which was a major embarrassment for the school.

Its hilarious how you guys get so stirred up listening to other morons on the radio whose primary purpose is to get you worked up.

There are a lot of "Chicken Littles" in our fan base. Louisville is a designation basketball job for gosh sakes. Plus we are in the best basketball conference in the whole NCAA. Many coaches dream of coaching in the ACC. No reason to panic, The sun will still rise in Louisville.

hey-al-the-sky-is-not-falling-get-over-it.jpg

And we would have not fired Pitino either had he not previously been involved in a scandal that cost us an NCAA title and had sex on a table in a local restaurant that turned into an FBI extortion investigation which was a major embarrassment for the school.
Please don't misunderstand me. I am NOT and never have been a Rick Pitino fan. He should have been fired after the Karen Sypher fiasco. With that said, he is still a hall of fame coach, and that's why I wrote that. No denying his ability to coach. Also, Tom Jurich has done more for the UofL athletic department than all the other AD's did combined IMO, and his only real crime was being too loyal to a coach he should have fired 10 years ago. I was OK with Pitino getting shown the door, but I'm still PO'ed about Jurich getting canned.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am NOT and never have been a Rick Pitino fan. He should have been fired after the Karen Sypher fiasco. With that said, he is still a hall of fame coach, and that's why I wrote that. No denying his ability to coach. Also, Tom Jurich has done more for the UofL athletic department than all the other AD's did combined IMO, and his only real crime was being too loyal to a coach he should have fired 10 years ago. I was OK with Pitino getting shown the door, but I'm still PO'ed about Jurich getting canned.
Then we don't have a big disagreement. Pitino was not fired because of the FBI case. That was simply the last straw on top of the real stuff. As for Jurich, I wish he was still here but I have no idea what was said or done behind closed doors that might have made his firing necessary. I still think he was fired because of participating in the Ramsey shenanigans but can't say that for certain.

I'm the last guy to defend Grissom... But I'm not sure where some of you think the money is coming from to spend it like before. Have you been missing the news about donors pulling back? I'll quote the stat again... 40% of athletics revenue is from gifts. That's more than $40 million annually.

This is the problem supporting the guys now in charge... Money is not following those guys. If you support them, you support a SMALLER athletic department. They've all bought into that outcome whether they say it every minute or not.

By the "guys in charge", that's ALL of them. Grissom, Postel, Tyra, and anyone they hire. They all have embraced and will embrace this new vision of our future. And the one thing they understand is money. If you don't like that vision, you give them less of it to work with...

Reactions: Vestavia57
I'm the last guy to defend Grissom... But I'm not sure where some of you think the money is coming from to spend it like before. Have you been missing the news about donors pulling back? I'll quote the stat again... 40% of athletics revenue is from gifts. That's more than $40 million annually.

This is the problem supporting the guys now in charge... Money is not following those guys. If you support them, you support a SMALLER athletic department. They've all bought into that outcome whether they say it every minute or not.

By the "guys in charge", that's ALL of them. Grissom, Postel, Tyra, and anyone they hire. They all have embraced and will embrace this new vision of our future. And the one thing they understand is money. If you don't like that vision, you give them less of it to work with...
Well i don't think their is one person on this FAN board that knows what U of L 's money situation is! Everybody on here too include myself are nothing more than keyboard know it alls.

I'm assuming (may be a dangerous assumption) that Tyra knows how to operate within a budget based on his business experience. The fact that the city of Louisville has such a big market for college sports gives an inkling that if we hire the right guy and the team is good, the money will follow. It is a little risky if you are anticipating donors to come back, but I would assume if we can pay 5 million a year then either the money situation isn't that bad, or he is aggressively assuming that even in a down year U of L still has the biggest revenue in College BBall. This happened to be the case this year if I'm not mistaken. That may also come from the fact that every concession in YUM is marked up 1000%.

Do you think it is possible that giving might be down because we just cleaned house of a regime that presided over numerous scandals and the loss of a national basketball title and two Final Fours after being the most profitable program in the country? Not exactly something people are anxious to throw more money at.

Reactions: wilkie01
Well i don't think their is one person on this FAN board that knows what U of L 's money situation is! Everybody on here too include myself are nothing more than keyboard know it alls.
Do you live in a bubble? Would you like me to start linking references to U of L's money problems going forward?...

Reactions: wilkie01
Do you think it is possible that giving might be down because we just cleaned house of a regime that presided over numerous scandals and the loss of a national basketball title and two Final Fours after being the most profitable program in the country? Not exactly something people are anxious to throw more money at.
Do you think it's possible that if "housecleaning" was what people wanted--housecleaning that occurred six months ago BTW--that donations should be INCREASING? That there would be more confidence in the new regime?

That makes more sense to me...

I'm assuming (may be a dangerous assumption) that Tyra knows how to operate within a budget based on his business experience. The fact that the city of Louisville has such a big market for college sports gives an inkling that if we hire the right guy and the team is good, the money will follow. It is a little risky if you are anticipating donors to come back, but I would assume if we can pay 5 million a year then either the money situation isn't that bad, or he is aggressively assuming that even in a down year U of L still has the biggest revenue in College BBall. This happened to be the case this year if I'm not mistaken. That may also come from the fact that every concession in YUM is marked up 1000%.
HOPE is not indicated by what donors and ticket-buyers are telling you.

Another stat... The most successful regular season in U of L women's basketball history just wrapped up. Home attendance was down 10%...

Do you think it's possible that if "housecleaning" was what people wanted--housecleaning that occurred six months ago BTW--that donations should be INCREASING? That there would be more confidence in the new regime?

That makes more sense to me...
No. I think a lot of people are disappointed in how their donations were previously handled and are now taking a wait and see approach.

No. I think a lot of people are disappointed in how their donations were previously handled and are now taking a wait and see approach.
Then why would Tyra refer to those people as "noise" and "small"?...

Doesn't say anything about being broke facing a ominous situation. Just Grissom's assumption something bad going too happen doesn't mean it going to happen.. It's a guess
So you'd rather have numbers than the Chair of the BoT's direct quote? Just a "guess" for reporters? Good stuff.

Do some of you reside in Egypt full time?...

Reactions: PHCARD
HOPE is not indicated by what donors and ticket-buyers are telling you.

Another stat... The most successful regular season in U of L women's basketball history just wrapped up. Home attendance was down 10%...
So even if we hire a basketball coach that wins in a clean manner, people are going to abandon their team out of spite? I think eventually if Louisville basketball reaches the prominence it previously had then people will bring back their support. The students and the university should be what we are supporting.

So even if we hire a basketball coach that wins in a clean manner, people are going to abandon their team out of spite? I think eventually if Louisville basketball reaches the prominence it previously had then people will bring back their support. The students and the university should be what we are supporting.
It's all about perception and gut-level thinking; what people "should" be doing is irrelevant.

And the problem is timing... How long does it take people to come back into the fold? It took Jurich's operation twenty years to get it to this level. Some will never come back...

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
It's all about perception and gut-level thinking; what people "should" be doing is irrelevant.

And the problem is timing... How long does it take people to come back into the fold? It took Jurich's operation twenty years to get it to this level. Some will never come back...
I suppose you’re right. There are probably some who were very close with Tom and they are done with the University as a result. But one would think that if a guy from the west can come in and make that many close friends that a guy from Louisville has enough close friends with money that will replace the ones who left.

Been on all the radio shows this morning!

It’s not true. Those guys talking about that this morning on the radio were actually talking about how crazy that would be if that were the case because the meeting was taking so long. They were basically saying that the city would explode. Relax

we just cleaned house of a regime that presided over numerous scandals and the loss of a national basketball title and two Final Fours after being the most profitable program in the country?
Without those we "cleaned out" there is no NC or FF's to vacate. Gotta take the bad with the good.

You say we may have done it anyway with other people?

We're getting ready to find out.

It took a HOF coach ten years..........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT