ADVERTISEMENT

If this was Pitino last year coaching ....??????

jalovell23

2000+
Jul 8, 2007
Boone County
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-pitino-needs-some-decide-run-louisville-over

Who would you want to take over, as the coach of UofL basketball?????

Here a couple of names off the top of my head

Sean Miller - Arizona - contract is until the 2017-18 season. He is from the east coast. It is tough for him to get east coast recruits to come to Arizona
Archie Miller - Dayton - contract is until the 2021-22 season. An assistant coach at WKU, and Ohio St.
Chris Mack - Xavier contract thru 2020-21 season.
Jay Wright - Villanova

I don't want an up and comer. I want someone who has been there. Sean Miller has had so much talent and free reign over the west coast but hasn't done much with it in the tournament.

None of the rest have much deep tournament experience.

I want a Donavon or a Brad Stevens.

1. PITINO
2. Stevens
3. Donovan
4. Smart

Most likely number 1 is the only one we have much of a chance at right now

You have no idea whether either Miller or Wright would leave - simply a thinly veiled potshot at UofL and your willfully ignorant "idea" of its place in college basketball. There are at least a half a dozen reasons why the UofL job is better than the gig those two have currently - being in the ACC and a chance to make double what they're making right now are just two of them.

There is no doubt at all that U of L is a significant step up from both of those jobs BP. Better fanbase, better history, better conference, better AD, better everything. The only thing you could argue is that the weather is better in Tucson.

There is no doubt at all that U of L is a significant step up from both of those jobs BP. Better fanbase, better history, better conference, better AD, better everything. The only thing you could argue is that the weather is better in Tucson.
I don't think CRP will be leaving I say this because of the team he has for the next two years. Whenever he decides to call it quit then I would like to see Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens. I like both but I feel if you give Brad Stevens top recruits to work with he would win multiple championships look what he did with Butler and they don't get the solid 4,5 stars.

Reactions: vivid_red
I don't think CRP will be leaving I say this because of the team he has for the next two years. Whenever he decides to call it quit then I would like to see Billy Donovan, Brad Stevens. I like both but I feel if you give Brad Stevens top recruits to work with he would win multiple championships look what he did with Butler and they don't get the solid 4,5 stars.

I'm in full agreement that Pitino goes nowhere. Was just backing up BPGhost's point about U of L not being a lateral move from either AZ or Nova.

Reactions: KerryRhodes
I'm in full agreement that Pitino goes nowhere. Was just backing up BPGhost's point about U of L not being a lateral move from either AZ or Nova.
I certainly don't think he goes anywhere of his volition - doubt he gets fired but the situation with Ramsey is worth watching, though unless Jurich stops backing him, I don't see RP going anywhere soon. The board might be talking tough (and rightfully so perhaps) with Ramsey but, they are a lot smarter than to mess with TJ.

Stevens has a pretty good thing going in Boston - he's on the opposite trajectory that Pitino was up there, and the Eastern Conference is pretty bad. I'd think Stevens is in for the long haul there, he has a good young team and a loyal fanbase. Not a knock on the Cards at all, I just don't see Stevens as a viable college coach in the near future.

The situation in OKC is slightly less rosy, if only because the Warriors look unstoppable, and Westbrook and KD are gonna be in play the next couple of years. Take them off that team and they are back in the lottery fast. I doubt Donovan wants to go through a rebuild, so he could be in play. That would scare the bejeezus out of this UK fan after what he was able to accomplish at a football school.

I always thought the previous scenario set up nicely for Donovan - at least until the dynamic changed with Richard. Fwiw - I don't think he was ever going to be coach here but, it did muddy the water for a time. I could definitely see things shaping back up for BD to be here in the future. I think Stevens is a pipe dream.

Reactions: JohnKBA
We all know this is all hypothetical because Pitino will not leave unless more sanctions are handed down and he is forced out. If that does happen, I do not see any of those coaches wanting to come here under those circumstances unless they were also out of a job.

If additional sanctions are imposed could that put TJ in jeopardy.

If there is a change in the presidency what kind of changes could occur considering the issues the university is being investigated by the NCAA and law enforcement agencies.

Still a lot to be determined.

What about Greg Marshall? Obviously you guys would want some one who's been successful. Here's another I could see Chris Mack from Xavier, would you take either?

...Why would Smart make a sideways step? Texas is a great job. He owns the whole state and has little comp.
Texas basketball is sucking hind tit alongside of Longhorn and Cowboys football, the Rockets, the Mavs, and the Spurs.

Here, basketball is on equal footing with football, there are no pro sports, and LPT basketball is the only outside competition.

It's a no brainer.

"Elite program", my a$$...

Loui Skunk saying Texas CBB is a great job, on the same level as UofL and would be a sideways step for Smart, has got to be one of the most inane comments of a long list of stupid comments by a UK fan that has ever been written on a message board.

And they kill skunks in Texas just because they like armidillos better.

Any place that tolerated Rick Barnes as long as they did is not a BB mecca.

I am sure it would be news to Baylor, and SMU, that Texas owns the state in CBB and have little competition.o_O:confused:

Only a kentucky fan would have such a narrow minded view about who owns the state in anything.....as we all know that is their mind set.

Comment about Smart was anything but smart.....but what do ya expect?:oops:

Reactions: shadow force
So you're saying that leaving Texas and going to UL, where you have to take backseat to whoever Cal wants, is the smarter move? I'm not being an a$$, I'm just saying only a couple of coaches can compete with Cal for recruits...Smart isn't one of them. Coaches look at how opportunities, recruiting and ease of the job is. UL isn't a piece of cake right now.
Also, why would he want to leave Texas? Its the biggest school in the state, they own the area, and barely any pressure. Leaving Texas to go to a program thats soon to be on probation, isn't going to happen. Shaka wouldn't even leave Texas to go to Duke, if they were on probation. He's got it good right now, Smart isn't going to UL. Louisville needs an up and comer coach from a little school, or one from the NBA. If they hold out a few more years, till Donovan gets tired of the NBA, they could have him.

And that's all purely your own speculation which doesn't make it true either. The fact is you don't know for sure who would or who wouldn't come to UofL- with a few obvious exceptions like Bill Self. Unless you are a mind reader.

And the Uk game/cal is not the be all end all for UofL basketball though you sound like you wish it was. The fact is NO ONE in the game can match what Cal has done at Uk recruiting wise. Even if a new coach couldn't recruit like cal doesn't mean he would have to in order to succeed at a school like UofL. There are plenty of other reasons like playing in the ACC, being a top 7 program of all time, the facilities, fanbase, etc.

Once calipari leaves - either to go and fail again in the pros or has a stroke / heart attack due to the 100lbs. he's gained, the yuts will be back to scraping the bottom of the barrel with another Billy G type. There is even less chance for them to land Stevens, Sean Miller or any elite coach. Maybe Antigua - I could see him.

Well first of all Brad Stevens is not coming to UofL anytime soon. Why would he leave the Celtics right now, especially since he looks to be turning things around there? So I'm not one of those that think he would come to UofL.

Second, we have to wait and see EXACTLY what all the penalties are first otherwise its just more speculation that may or may not be as serious as some think. To address some of your points- The money is definitely there. UofL can pay a coach quite well. Chance to succeed is also certainly there. Moreso or not depending on what immediate penalties that come up. Ease of recruiting would still be pretty darn good at UofL. Like I said no one is expecting anyone to come in and grab as many burger boys as Cal has but, again, that doesn't equal not having success.

I just can't agree with your last sentence as of this moment on what UofL's "best bet" would be. It also depends on what you mean by "mediocre". However I don't think Pitino is going anywhere right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well first of all Brad Stevens is not coming to UofL anytime soon. Why would he leave the Celtics right now, especially since he looks to be turning things around there? So I'm not one of those that think he would come to UofL.

Second, we have to wait and see EXACTLY what all the penalties are first otherwise its just more speculation that may or may not be as serious as some think. To address some of your points- The money is definitely there. UofL can pay a coach quite well. Chance to succeed is also certainly there. Moreso or not depending on what immediate penalties that come up. Ease of recruiting would still be pretty darn good at UofL. Like I said no one is expecting anyone to come in and grab as many burger boys as Cal has but, again, that doesn't equal not having success.

I just can't agree with your last sentence as of this moment on what UofL's "best bet" would be. It also depends on what you mean by "mediocre". However I don't think Pitino is going anywhere right now.
Just curious - why are you having a dialogue with some idiot who is simply here to troll?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT