ADVERTISEMENT

Idiot that Wrote Article on UL Recruiting Struggles a few weeks back

Louis III

3500+
Gold Member
Jul 26, 2018
Does anyone know the details of who wrote it? I was trying to find the article and no luck. Andy Sweeney and Lachlan Mclean talked about it on their show for about 2 hours and ragged on UL for being number #74 in friggin June/July. Any help is appreciated.

You shouldn't expect the recruiting ranking to be very high this year. The number of recruits plays a big part of that and I think they are limited to something like 18 this year.

I think its actually 16, but my point is the time spent on such a useless subject in June.....who cares. I just wanted to find the article and rip the Midday morons.

Does anyone know the details of who wrote it? I was trying to find the article and no luck. Andy Sweeney and Lachlan Mclean talked about it on their show for about 2 hours and ragged on UL for being number #74 in friggin June/July. Any help is appreciated.
Here is some ammo for you. The information below is for the last 5 years

UL Michigan Texas

#4/5 Star Recuits Signed 16 65 60
# of Wins 46 40 31
# NFL Draft Picks 21 22 11

The Star rating system is flawed. And player development is very important in College Football

Here is some ammo for you. The information below is for the last 5 years

UL Michigan Texas

#4/5 Star Recuits Signed 16 65 60
# of Wins 46 40 31
# NFL Draft Picks 21 22 11

The Star rating system is flawed. And player development is very important in College Football

Amen brother rentalman, amen!

GO CARDS - BEAT EVERYBODY!!! God Bless America!!!

It depends on what you want. If we want to get fat and happy with 8-9 wins, then getting recruiting classes in the 40s and 50s works. But it’s been proven time and time again that the only teams that win championships are littered with 4-5 stars. The only team to get close without them was Oregon and they had classes in the low 20s and below I believe. Bobby needs to have classes in the low 20s and 10s to compete for the playoff. We have been stockpiling talent the last few years with pretty good classes in the high 20s. That’s why 2019 is looking to be a good year. However, it will take even stronger classes if we want to reach pinnacle. It will still take a Herculean effort and some luck for the 2019 team to get to the playoff. Clemson is just recruiting too well. Clemson, Bama, OSU, FSU, Auburn, and Florida. Those teams are the only ones who have won championships in the last 10 years. All of them have had top 5 recruiting classes during those time periods. Call people stargazers all you’d like. If you are interested in winning you have to get top classes.

Reactions: Mike'sMarbles
I agree Cardinal Cash. If we are going to take that next step then we need to up our recruiting game. Luckily, we are almost there. Clemson turned their program around with classes ranked around 16-18 in the nation. That's not to far from where we are currently. If we can average 5-6 4 star players per a full recruiting class then we are there.

Reactions: Cardinal Cash
I agree Cardinal Cash. If we are going to take that next step then we need to up our recruiting game. Luckily, we are almost there. Clemson turned their program around with classes ranked around 16-18 in the nation. That's not to far from where we are currently. If we can average 5-6 4 star players per a full recruiting class then we are there.
Dead on. Gotta have 5-6 guys at different positions that are ranked near the top of their group in each class. Mix of offense and defense. We need to go big on defense to end this class because we went big on offense in 2015 and 2016. 2017 was defense oriented and we need to add depth with the 2018 class.

The tricky thing about Bobby and his recruiting is that he relies heavily on transfers to back fill his classes. Bobby is a good recruiter of high school talent, but not great. He usually depends on transfers and JUCO's to fill our needs. That's cool, but we still need talented guys out of high school.

I predict a lotta disappointment in the next 5-10 years for fans expecting our recruiting to rise to and hold the Top 20 nationally. We have no history in our program to expect that. Our best class in that history was barely Top 30.

If we have sustained success over the next decade, our recruiting will GRADUALLY improve. We will get the occasional class in the Top 20, but that's the only reasonable expectation to have. National programs don't quickly elevate that way. I'll say it again, you ain't Alabama or Clemson or anywhere close...

I predict a lotta disappointment in the next 5-10 years for fans expecting our recruiting to rise to and hold the Top 20 nationally. We have no history in our program to expect that. Our best class in that history was barely Top 30.

If we have sustained success over the next decade, our recruiting will GRADUALLY improve. We will get the occasional class in the Top 20, but that's the only reasonable expectation to have. National programs don't quickly elevate that way. I'll say it again, you ain't Alabama or Clemson or anywhere close...
Agree. I think the thing that would help our program the most is to red-shirt more of the freshmen class, especially the OL and DL kids.

Are you John L. Smith, by any chance?

Agree. I think the thing that would help our program the most is to red-shirt more of the freshmen class, especially the OL and DL kids.
The problem nowadays is better players don't wanna redshirt or even hang around more than three years. And they're physically more mature now when they show up on campus. That will only intensify if we recruit better players over time.
Are you John L. Smith, by any chance?
No, but I like JLS, and I did sleep in a Holiday Inn last nite...

@gocds, I saw some of that on Howie's message the other day, quite interesting, but I wish we were compared to even higher touted programs. Unfortunately, the Texas and Michigan brands over the last 5 years has diminished greatly! They could come back at any moment, with the kind of talent they get, but been rough patch. I do think CBP looks for certain types of players, but these guys generally tend to be in the 3 star range (and for the record, I'm not a HUGE believer of the star ratings), which there is nothing wrong with that, but we have a ceiling, as several of you mention, you aren't blending in 5-10 4/5 starts to go with them. That is what we are lacking in order to be a top 15 power, year in and year out. Those types of classes were just fine in CUSA, BE, and AAC, but not in the ACC!

it’s been proven time and time again that the only teams that win championships are littered with 4-5 stars.

It's also been proven that of there are only 19 teams win the last 30 NC's. And of those 19, nine have won more than one. (I quickly scanned the following link so don't rake me over the coals if I'm off one or two. It's still a lopsided margin.)

The next 20 years ('67-'87) only have 2 (TWO) different names. BYU and Penn St.

Basically, 21 schools have won the last 50 NC"s

So the deck is stacked against us, and about 140 other P5 schools when it comes to winning a NC.

But as long as we're in the hunt I'll be happy.

2017 Alabama CFP
2016 Clemson CFP
2015 Alabama CFP
2014 Ohio State CFP
2013 Florida State BCS
2012 Alabama BCS
2011 Alabama BCS
2010 Auburn BCS
2009 Alabama BCS
2008 Florida BCS
2007 Louisiana State BCS
2006 Florida BCS
2005 Texas BCS
2004 Southern California BCS
2003 Louisiana State, Southern California BCS, AP, FWAA
2002 Ohio State BCS
2001 Miami (Fla.) BCS
2000 Oklahoma BCS
1999 Florida State BCS
1998 Tennessee BCS
1997 Michigan, Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/ESPN
1996 Florida AP, FWAA, NFF,USA/CNN
1995 Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1994 Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1993 Florida St. AP, FWAA,NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1992 Alabama AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1991 Washington, Miami (Fla.) FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI,AP
1990 Colorado, Georgia Tech FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, AP, UPI
1989 Miami (Fla.) AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1988 Notre Dame AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1987 Miami (Fla.)

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history

It's also been proven that of there are only 19 teams win the last 30 NC's. And of those 19, nine have won more than one. (I quickly scanned the following link so don't rake me over the coals if I'm off one or two. It's still a lopsided margin.)

The next 20 years ('67-'87) only have 2 (TWO) different names. BYU and Penn St.

Basically, 21 schools have won the last 50 NC"s

So the deck is stacked against us, and about 140 other P5 schools when it comes to winning a NC.

But as long as we're in the hunt I'll be happy.

2017 Alabama CFP
2016 Clemson CFP
2015 Alabama CFP
2014 Ohio State CFP
2013 Florida State BCS
2012 Alabama BCS
2011 Alabama BCS
2010 Auburn BCS
2009 Alabama BCS
2008 Florida BCS
2007 Louisiana State BCS
2006 Florida BCS
2005 Texas BCS
2004 Southern California BCS
2003 Louisiana State, Southern California BCS, AP, FWAA
2002 Ohio State BCS
2001 Miami (Fla.) BCS
2000 Oklahoma BCS
1999 Florida State BCS
1998 Tennessee BCS
1997 Michigan, Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/ESPN
1996 Florida AP, FWAA, NFF,USA/CNN
1995 Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1994 Nebraska AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1993 Florida St. AP, FWAA,NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1992 Alabama AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1991 Washington, Miami (Fla.) FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI,AP
1990 Colorado, Georgia Tech FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, AP, UPI
1989 Miami (Fla.) AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1988 Notre Dame AP, FWAA, NFF, USA/CNN, UPI
1987 Miami (Fla.)

https://www.ncaa.com/news/football/article/college-football-national-championship-history
What is “in the hunt” i guess is my question? For me it’s the playoff and/or a conference title. That’s what we should be achieving every 5-7 years. Or at least we should have 1-2 teams that gets close (10 wins). That is where we need to be IMO. I’m good with where we are as a program currently, but we should be striving for better which is why we need to get some top level talent. Not quite Bama or Clemson level, but at least a top 20 class here and there.

Reactions: gocards1987
You guessed right. ;)

And answered a question while doing it. :D

"In the hunt" (for a NC) is opposite "OUT of the hunt" and hoping for a Bojangles Bowl.

If we're still being talked about in November every couple or three years we'll be on the right track.

Can't ask for more than that.

You guessed right. ;)

"In the hunt" (for a NC) is opposite "OUT of the hunt" and hoping for a Bojangles Bowl.

If we're still being talked about in November every couple or three years we'll be on the right track.

Of course, Rollem Cards you are right about “can’t ask for more than that”. But a lot of UofL fans will ask for more than that. In the last 4 years the only two schools that really deserved to be there were Alabama and Clemson. Beyond that tOSU and Oklahoma didn’t really deserve to be there. FSU did, in fact, deserve the appearance they had as they won the title. This is exactly why we really need to go to an 8 team playoff to prove who actually deserves to be here and to get rid of the pretenders. Plus it spreads the recruiting advantages amongst more than more than two or three schools. Nobody remembers who “came close” and what year that was other than those fans who are pissed because they didn’t make it.

You guessed right. ;)

By this definiton werent we just " in the hunt" just a couple of years ago until we got blasted by Houston?

Reactions: zipp
By this definiton werent we just " in the hunt" just a couple of years ago until we got blasted by Houston?
Did I say we weren't?

But this year many are just hoping for 8. Not only that, but many of those think that will be a "good" year.

That ain't in the hunt. And we aren't going to be most years. Thats why I say we should be happy if we're "really good" every few years.

Reactions: Mayoman and gocds
Did I say we weren't?

But this year many are just hoping for 8. Not only that, but many of those think that will be a "good" year.

That ain't in the hunt. And we aren't going to be most years. Thats why I say we should be happy if we're "really good" every few years.
Unfortunately right now Louisville is a school that has to rebuild not one of those who just reloads.. 3 times in the last 12 years we have been " in the hunt" , and that ncludes the Krapthorpe years. So that would seems to fit the criteria listed above. How often do you think a school like ours should be in rebuild mode?

If 8 wins is a rebuild, I'm good with it.

But having watched us grow to this point, I'm starting to think we have reached our ceiling.

The last 20 years NC's were in fertile recruiting grounds. The only one in the last 30 that wasn't is Nebraska, and they've been nothing for years now.

Ky doesn't have enough top recruits, and trying to recruit enough top rated players from 400-1000 miles every year will be a feat very few others have accomplished.

I'm hoping to be as wrong as I've ever been, but I'm not expecting to out recruit FSU, Miami, or Clemson anytime soon. And NCST is picking up the recruiting too.

Our chances of reaching a NC game are slim at best right now. Expansion to eight might help occasionally, but even then it's a long shot.

All because of recruiting grounds.

Reactions: Mayoman
It depends on what you want. If we want to get fat and happy with 8-9 wins, then getting recruiting classes in the 40s and 50s works. But it’s been proven time and time again that the only teams that win championships are littered with 4-5 stars. The only team to get close without them was Oregon and they had classes in the low 20s and below I believe. Bobby needs to have classes in the low 20s and 10s to compete for the playoff. We have been stockpiling talent the last few years with pretty good classes in the high 20s. That’s why 2019 is looking to be a good year. However, it will take even stronger classes if we want to reach pinnacle. It will still take a Herculean effort and some luck for the 2019 team to get to the playoff. Clemson is just recruiting too well. Clemson, Bama, OSU, FSU, Auburn, and Florida. Those teams are the only ones who have won championships in the last 10 years. All of them have had top 5 recruiting classes during those time periods. Call people stargazers all you’d like. If you are interested in winning you have to get top classes.
Cardinal Cash, every team you mentioned are traditional powerhouse programs. They have decades of being in power conferences and being in the national spotlight. We are newbies to this party finally getting into the ACC after decades of wandering in the desert. This is going to take several more years of building to put us in the same conversation of the teams you mentioned.

Cardinal Cash, every team you mentioned are traditional powerhouse programs. They have decades of being in power conferences and being in the national spotlight. We are newbies to this party finally getting into the ACC after decades of wandering in the desert. This is going to take several more years of building to put us in the same conversation of the teams you mentioned.
Clemson was irrelevant for 30 years until Dabo built what they have. They started winning big around the same time as our big push in the early part of this decade. The only thing they have on us is facilities and recruiting. That gave them a championship. We are halfway there. Just gotta get the talent.

And this is why I have issues with your logic sometimes. You clearly state our football program has a way to go but on the other hand you say we are far superior to the kitties. I think there’s more separation between us and a Top 5 program than there is between us and UK. Wish it wasn’t so.

Clemson was irrelevant for 30 years until Dabo built what they have. They started winning big around the same time as our big push in the early part of this decade. The only thing they have on us is facilities and recruiting. That gave them a championship. We are halfway there. Just gotta get the talent.
I knew you’d mention Clemson. They won a National Championship in the early 1980’s and have long been considered a team with an SEC style fanbase. They are the original Death Valley for a reason. While we have built a really nice program, I was their when there was maybe 25,000 fans at Old Cardinal Stadium, we still have a long way to go to reach their fan support on a game to game basis. We’re getting there but talk to me again in a few more years.

I knew you’d mention Clemson. They won a National Championship in the early 1980’s and have long been considered a team with an SEC style fanbase. They are the original Death Valley for a reason. While we have built a really nice program, I was their when there was maybe 25,000 fans at Old Cardinal Stadium, we still have a long way to go to reach their fan support on a game to game basis. We’re getting there but talk to me again in a few more years.
I knew they won a championship, but it doesn’t change the fact they were irrelevant from the 1980s until 2010. And I get that we may not have the fan support they do, but that’s a demographics issue. Our state cares more about basketball. Always has and likely always will. And we will see what Bobby can do in these next 5 years or so, but if he doesn’t win 10 at least once and he dips below a 7 win season I think we should move on to Brohm or another up and comer JMO.

And this is why I have issues with your logic sometimes. You clearly state our football program has a way to go but on the other hand you say we are far superior to the kitties. I think there’s more separation between us and a Top 5 program than there is between us and UK. Wish it wasn’t so.
I'm not sure how you watch Louisville and LPT play this game annually and say there isn't a huge gap between the football programs. Here's the average difference in total offense between the following teams and LPT in their last four contests...

Louisville +137
Florida +139
Georgia +203

There are only three teams in the current Rivals Top 20 recruiting rankings who have never laid claim to a national championship.

That's pretty little wiggle room for those guys on the outside...

Last edited:
Exactly. If we can be as successful is Wisconsin or Michigan State, we’ll be doing good. Both of those are cold northern states and not particularly fertile recruiting grounds. Oregon is in the same boat. We can do it, but it takes patience and passionate support from the fans.

There are only three teams in the current Rivals Top 20 rankings who have never laid claim to a national championship.

That's pretty little wiggle room for those guys on the outside...

Well now zipp please come back after week 5 or 6 and see if the same 17 out of 20 are still listed in the Top 20. At the end of the season I would probably guess that around 7 or 8 of the Top 25 can make the National Title claim. Just my own opinion here.

I'm not sure how you watch Louisville and LPT play this game annually and say there isn't a huge gap between the football programs. Here's the average difference in total offense between the following teams and LPT in their last four contests...

Louisville +137
Florida +139
Georgia +203
You’re a big stat guy. And yet the series is tied 15-15. UK has longest win streak at 7 games. UK has largest margin of victory in series. Unless you can erase these or show more dominance, you’re statements can’t be supported just by eye test.

You’re a big stat guy. And yet the series is tied 15-15. UK has longest win streak at 7 games. UK has largest margin of victory in series. Unless you can erase these or show more dominance, you’re statements can’t be supported just by eye test.
You seriously want to include 6 games from before 1922 to show how tight the games are right now?

Last edited:
You seriously want to include 6 games from before 1922 to show how tight this series is right now?

Plus the first four games in the “modern series” were all played in lessington. We are the superior team and we’ve proven it. We’ve won 6 out of the last seven games and we whipped their ass last year at “Kroger field”. And we’ll whip their ass again this year. We are ahead 15-9 in the modern era and those first 6 games should be done away with as UofL was playing “club” football and not really organized. They know that and you should also.

Reactions: Mayoman
Well now zipp please come back after week 5 or 6 and see if the same 17 out of 20 are still listed in the Top 20. At the end of the season I would probably guess that around 7 or 8 of the Top 25 can make the National Title claim. Just my own opinion here...
I edited my post a bit... To clairfy, I was talking Rivals RECRUITING rankings. And that probably won't change a lot before NSD.

Plus the first four games in the “modern series” were all played in lessington. We are the superior team and we’ve proven it. We’ve won 6 out of the last seven games and we whipped their ass last year at “Kroger field”. And we’ll whip their ass again this year. We are ahead 15-9 in the modern era and those first 6 games should be done away with as UofL was playing “club” football and not really organized. They know that and you should also.

Wow! 15-9 that’s dominance if I ever saw it. How little you guys forget. It only takes one bad hire to make a difference in this series.

Reactions: gocds
Wow! 15-9 that’s dominance if I ever saw it. How little you guys forget. It only takes one bad hire to make a difference in this series.
Exactly. And how lopsided do you think it would be if the Krags era didn't occur? I guess the Cats only worry about being dominated after some team wins 31 straight against them.

Reactions: gocds
My friend, yours is the majority viewpoint to continue playing the game. But this is by far the weakest argument--that LPT football is close to being competitive with U of L--you can make to justify it. You've now got people who want to play the game disagreeing with you.

I enjoy a good debate, but I like the other guy having a few bullets in his gun. Try one of the other approaches...

Reactions: teamcanada

Louisville +137
Florida +139
Georgia +203

Don't have a drink in your hand or mouth when you read this - laughter alert.

Louisville has finished the season ranked in the AP 10 times since the last time UK has finished ranked in the AP (1984! - 35 frickin years!) We are talking about three and a half decades of data here. 10 to 1 over 3.5 decades.

UK has finished ranked in the AP poll three times since 1954.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT