ADVERTISEMENT

FOOTBALL I have thoughts: Louisville embarrassed in season opener

Ty Spalding

Owner/Publisher of CardinalSports.com
Aug 23, 2018
Plenty of content is coming throughout today. Will have snap counts and grades from PFF and plenty more...

The dust has begun to settle a tad from the debacle so I'm going to jam all of my takes into this post, rather than doing a game recap.

THINGS THAT WE WERE SOLD ON THAT DIDN'T COME TO FRUITION

***Let's start with the offensive line. The expectations for the offensive line couldn't have been higher coming into this year. Some were touting this group as the best in the ACC. Malik Cunningham had no time in the pocket, and this wasn't a big/strong Syracuse defensive line, either. Not good.

***Next, the secondary, specifically the cornerbacks. The staff spent all summer singling out Jarvis Brownlee and Quincy Riley. We were told you would see more press coverage, more aggression. Brownlee didn't exactly lock anyone up, and Chandler Jones started over Riley. We saw 8-10 yard cushions and receivers running wide open. The stops that Louisville got were mainly from Syracuse backing themselves up.

PLAY CALLING: MORE OF THE SAME

***Look, I'm not an offensive coordinator. I'm not a football junkie that can turn on the film and point out everything that's happening. But, what I can say is that from last year to this year, this offense is about as predictable as it can get. Running on first down is almost a given. The one drive off the top of my head where Louisville went with a quick, hitch route on first down was the opening drive of the second half. Louisville picked up six yards off that. Why not do that more? Yes, the trick play with Braden Smith worked, but they really had to use their only gadget play from last year in the first game? Desperation IMO.

***Situational and red-zone play calling: Bad. How many times last year did we see Louisville only try the read option in goal-to-go situations? Way too many. Clemson game, remember that? Get under center, or just hand the ball off straight ahead. Mix it up, do ANYTHING other than a broken read option that is blown up before it gets started.

***Route concepts with the wide receivers: I don't understand what Louisville is trying to do in the passing game. There is absolutely zero quick stuff. No mesh routes over the middle. It seems like there's one guy that is the target and the rest of the route-runners are just sent on go patterns. It took Louisville, what, like three quarters to target Ahmari Huggins-Bruce? Did Braden Smith get a ball thrown to him? It felt like it was Hudson or nothing. Oh, and running it to the short side of the field on 3rd and 8 isn't a great idea.

Which brings me to my next thought...

WHAT DINO BABERS DID DO AND WHAT SCOTT SATTERFIELD DIDN'T DO

***Dino Babers and Scott Satterfield are in similar positions. Both had success early in their tenures. Both built up some good will. But now, both are in prove-it years. Babers swallowed his pride, and went out a got a true play-calling offensive coordinator. Babers, an offensive guy himself, turned the keys over to former Virginia OC Robert Anae. Babers made changes, and actually let the offensive coordinator leave his fingerprints on the product on the field.

***Scott Satterfield did the exact opposite. Lance Taylor was brought in as the offensive coordinator, but let's be real, Satterfield had his hands on everything that happened last night offensively. There were multiple times where the broadcast showed Lance Taylor without a headset on. If you're going to sell Taylor's abilities, let him have SOME impact on the offense.

LOUISVILLE'S LAST THREE GAMES

***Dating back to the Kentucky game last year, Louisville's been outscored by a combined margin of 114-56. That's against Kentucky, Air Force, and Syracuse.

***Louisville's total yards on offense in those three games: 1,085

***Opponent's total yards on offense in those three games: 1,382. Bryan Brown and company are allowing 460 yards per game.

I'm out of thoughts. I'm sure most of that is what's already been said. There's no spin to be had. Last night was embarrassing and inexcusable.

Two season-openers in a row where a Scott Satterfield coached team looks lost, unprepared, and disjointed. All summer to get ready for Cuse, and that's what you come up with...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News