ADVERTISEMENT

I am loving this UMBC v VA game

It's happening. Virginia is about to make history. First 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed. We all knew it would eventually happen. Tonight looks to be the night.

It's too damn funny this game of basketball. Virginia is experiencing what the Cards have felt against them the past few years. Nothing goes your way. The opponent shoots the lights out. Your open shots spin out.

Why I can't feel bad for them. I said on here the night of the miracle loss that I would buy a jersey of the team that beats Virginia in the big dance.

Does anyone know where I can buy a UMBC jersey?

Tony Bennett is a great coach when he is up against a familiar opponent. He is awful when he is up against opponents that he is not familiar with. It has to do with scouting your opponent and having your team prepared.

Reactions: shadow force
Tony Bennett is a great coach when he is up against a familiar opponent. He is awful when he is up against opponents that he is not familiar with. It has to do with scouting your opponent and having your team prepared.
Whatever reputation he HAD as a great coach just got tainted forever. He is the first coach to lose to a 16 seed in the history of this tourney. He'll have to live with that for the rest of his life.

They are always victim to the same curse...a team gets hot from 3 against them. If they go cold and the other team goes hot...it's done. That's been the MO for them for years.

Reactions: Deeva

Just said that to my wife. It’s been proven time and time again.

Reactions: Cue Card
Well if they do lose, UK will waltz into the Final 4...

I believe they do waltz to the E8.

If TN - big if, but if TN is waiting for them that is a legit ball game. They've won in Rupp, have the physical size and talent, and familiarity that the other teams in the bracket don't have.

UK is a hot team now no doubt - they have totem pole length to cover shooters. But they do struggle from the 3 pt line, and they don't have any players contributing with post season experience. Not guaranteeing a loss if the game happens at all - but it won't be a waltz if it does.

I will say this, the difference between regular season and the NCAAT is knowing that you lose and you go home. These are still 18-19 year old kids. UMBC did what we could not, by keeping the hammer on. You could see UVA feeling pressure and on the side UMBC’s confidence kept growing. This is what is special about the tournament and why it’s important just to make it in, regardless of your chances to win it all.

That cannot be overstated. Bennett is a massive failure when it counts, in the post season. I cannot believe anyone would want to bring him here.
Bennett is a good coach, but I think he can be rehabilitated into an excellent coach – and UofL is the program that can do it. We’ve already done it once.

Bennett is a system coach. When the system fails, he is basically lost. A system coach is going to run into a team at some point that mucks up his system – especially in the NCAA Tournament. At that point, the system coach better become a good X & O coach. That describes Pitino.

At UK, Pitino was strictly a system coach. When the system worked, his teams looked great. But when the system failed, his teams were in trouble. The best coaches, like Dean Smith, regularly spanked Pitino at UK because they blunted his system. Once Pitino coached in Boston and figured out he couldn’t rely strictly on his system, he became a much better coach. Once Pitino got to UofL he greatly improved his X & O skills and became a much better coach. We could do the same for Bennett.

Bennett is a good coach, but I think he can be rehabilitated into an excellent coach – and UofL is the program that can do it. We’ve already done it once.

Bennett is a system coach. When the system fails, he is basically lost. A system coach is going to run into a team at some point that mucks up his system – especially in the NCAA Tournament. At that point, the system coach better become a good X & O coach. That describes Pitino.

At UK, Pitino was strictly a system coach. When the system worked, his teams looked great. But when the system failed, his teams were in trouble. The best coaches, like Dean Smith, regularly spanked Pitino at UK because they blunted his system. Once Pitino coached in Boston and figured out he couldn’t rely strictly on his system, he became a much better coach. Once Pitino got to UofL he greatly improved his X & O skills and became a much better coach. We could do the same for Bennett.

Yeah that sounds great but what happens if he can't move away from his "system"? Bennett has already had several seasons of post-season underachievement and he hasn't changed anything. Now he loses to a 16 seed. He is what he is.

Reactions: Cue Card
Yeah that sounds great but what happens if he can't move away from his "system"? Bennett has already had several seasons of post-season underachievement and he hasn't changed anything. Now he loses to a 16 seed. He is what he is.
Point well taken. Bennett has to be willing to expand - like Pitino did after he left UK.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT