ADVERTISEMENT

** Howie's Quick Hits - Monday night edition **

Howie Lindsey

Elite Member
Silver Member
May 29, 2001
Louisville, KY
www.cardinalsports.com
- Negotiations continue between Louisville and Brohm, I hear. While I still think there is going to be a deal, I certainly understand why it isn't already done. (hint: details)

- Jeff has leverage. He has a good job, he's happy and he knows that Louisville fans believe he is the only candidate. Vince Tyra is not really negotiating from a position of strength and I'm not sure Vince likes that. I certainly wouldn't. I'd rather be coming to the table with other options.

- What does that mean? Louisville is going to have to pony up cash and considerations (term of contract, assistant salaries, etc...) to make the deal work.

- And to be clear, Vince HAS other options - there are some very good football coaches who want to come to Louisville - but Vince also understands the fan base well enough (and he hears all the chatter) to understand that Jeff is THE candidate.

- What do I mean? Well, Luke Fickell would be very good here. He's a very good coach, he can win a lot of games, he would recruit very good players and Louisville would be a fringe Top 25 team in two years (in my opinion). But is Fickell sell-able to a Louisville fanbase over Brohm?

- I forgot to post earlier but I included Odom and Venables on the Hot Boards out of a sense of obligation. They'll be removed in the update tomorrow morning.

- Let's talk dates...
Dec. 1 - That's Vince's birthday, and he told Kent Spencer he'd like to have Louisville's new coach by then.
Dec. 5 - That's the day Brohm's buyout drops by $1.1 million.
Dec. 19 - That's the early Signing Period for football prospects, the date that Vince told me a full staff needs to be in place (this was back before he even fired Petrino).

I am available to answer questions on this thread tonight and tomorrow morning... fire away.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News