ADVERTISEMENT

How about Petrino? Do we need an offensive coordinator................?

GridIron Pimp

New Poster, Show Me Love
Jun 21, 2005
I am about 80%- 20% on Grantham leaving. I was not sold on the defense especially against really good running teams. However, you have to have the talent to stop the run- defensive lineman.

Now, I was totally disappointed with our offense this year. It seems to me, no adjustments were made at all! The offense was bland. No trick plays, same (6) plays game-in and game-out. There were no adjustments in play-calling when you know when your line can NOT block the defensive line! Nothing to stop the rush. We kept Lamar on a 5 to 7 step drop. No screens, no quick pass, no jet sweeps, no quick screens, no draws, no reverses........................ I was just mystified on why nothing was changed offensively.
Petrino needs to get an offensive coordinator or needs to make adjustments this upcoming year big time! We need to go all out on getting offensive linemen- top recruits!

Ive been saying since the clemson game that yes we do.

New dc
New Oc
New line coaches
New dback coach

Hire big names.
Make nick a volunteer

Be great not mediocre.

Todays news shows me that louisville wants to be great. Not simply medoiocre.

We need a new offensive lineman that can coach. Im fine with our OC since Petrino makes most if not all of the calls anyways, but we need a new Offensvie Lineman coach that can recruit

Ive been saying since the clemson game that yes we do.

New dc
New Oc
New line coaches
New dback coach

Hire big names.
Make nick a volunteer

Be great not mediocre.

Todays news shows me that louisville wants to be great. Not simply medoiocre.
Umm, you do realize that Petrino is the OC in every way shape and form - don't you?

Of course you don't.

Am I missing something?

You're fine with CBP....but you think the guy he hires sucks?
I was fine with Petrino being brought back. I'm not fine with this version of him - he's either lost his edge, defenses have caught up to him or, Paul was more instrumental than we ever knew. He needs to figure out how to play call effectively for Jackson and try to keep the offense on the field for longer than 90 seconds.

I don't know enough about Sirmon to say whether he will be good - I hope that he will but at first glance, we got the wrong end of the Popsicle on this deal. And that's on Petrino completely.

Reactions: Rollem Cards
Am I missing something?

You're fine with CBP....but you think the guy he hires sucks?
The guy probable has five names he posts under and argues with himself.

Saban, Sweeny and other high profile coaches have coaches with experience on staff to bounce ideas off of.

Bpghost thinks klenakis needs a raise and the grantham defense was the best we could do.

He may need feminine napkins for a while.

So glad that 3rd and grantham is gone.

Good riddance to him.

I was fine with Petrino being brought back. I'm not fine with this version of him - he's either lost his edge, defenses have caught up to him or, Paul was more instrumental than we ever knew. He needs to figure out how to play call effectively for Jackson and try to keep the offense on the field for longer than 90 seconds.

I don't know enough about Sirmon to say whether he will be good - I hope that he will but at first glance, we got the wrong end of the Popsicle on this deal. And that's on Petrino completely.

Since i know football and everything ive said is coming true, yes we made two great hires and are a much better team on the defensive side of the ball because of it.

Offensive changes need to hit next.

Feels so good to know we will field a defense that will be in position and will tackle. Two things grantham has no clue about.

Reactions: wilkie01

Ok. Gotcha.

Reactions: BPGhost
Since i know football and everything ive said is coming true, yes we made two great hires and are a much better team on the defensive side of the ball because of it.

Offensive changes need to hit next.

Feels so good to know we will field a defense that will be in position and will tackle. Two things grantham has no clue about.
Agree that we were NOT a good tackling team.

Reactions: beasleythecard

Yeah Petrino is the problem. He needs to quit fumbling all the time.

The biggest issue for Petrino is that he changed his offense and is still trying to meld his concepts/formations into this new read-option based system. Petrino 1.0 was power-spread. It was control the line of scrimmage, strong running game to set up the pass, multiple sets/formations to run the same play, control the clock when you need to.

He now has a new style offense with a once in a generation talent. So I think he is still trying to figure out how to most effectively deploy that talent. One thing he needs Lamar to develop is better defense recognition. That is where Lefors and Brohm were so effective. Also this style of offense can lead to more turnovers (see errant handovers repeatedly throughout the season). And this offense isn't set up to control the clock (a terrible offensive line plays into that). That's why there were so many games where it seemed like whoever had the ball last would win. If you remember in the first Petrino version, we could absolutely milk the clock with the lead when we wanted to.

Yeah Petrino is the problem. He needs to quit fumbling all the time.
Totally get what you're saying and I agree - LJ needs to work on his ball security. That said, some better play calling (and reads by LJ) by BP won't put him in some of the situations when he fumbled because he was improvising or, running for his life.

The biggest issue for Petrino is that he changed his offense and is still trying to meld his concepts/formations into this new read-option based system. Petrino 1.0 was power-spread. It was control the line of scrimmage, strong running game to set up the pass, multiple sets/formations to run the same play, control the clock when you need to.

He now has a new style offense with a once in a generation talent. So I think he is still trying to figure out how to most effectively deploy that talent. One thing he needs Lamar to develop is better defense recognition. That is where Lefors and Brohm were so effective. Also this style of offense can lead to more turnovers (see errant handovers repeatedly throughout the season). And this offense isn't set up to control the clock (a terrible offensive line plays into that). That's why there were so many games where it seemed like whoever had the ball last would win. If you remember in the first Petrino version, we could absolutely milk the clock with the lead when we wanted to.
100% agree. Good post.

Totally get what you're saying and I agree - LJ needs to work on his ball security. That said, some better play calling (and reads by LJ) by BP won't put him in some of the situations when he fumbled because he was improvising or, running for his life.
But you are the one who says there is no problem with the offensive line. Lol
You have argued for 8 months that the line is perfect.
You belittle anyone who said anything about the team needing help.

And now in a post you regurgitate the very thing you argued against.

Interesting stuff.

This is the most important offseason in louisville history.
Changes are being made to make us better and i am looking forward to more changes.

Firing grantham signaled desire to be more than mediocre.

The next hires and this recruiting class will tell us who we are.

It is a great time to be a cardinal fan.

Last edited:
But you are the one who says there is no problem with the offensive line. Lol
You have argued for 8 months that the line is perfect.
You belittle anyone who said anything about the team needing help.

And now in a post you regurgitate the very thing you argued against.

Interesting stuff.
Again, you just make things up. Find and list one statement that I made saying there is no problem with the OL.

Just one.

Again, you just make things up. Find and list one statement that I made saying there is no problem with the OL.

Just one.
What has your response been to me saying the offense needed an overhaul and klenakis needed to be fired? Lol
You are hillarious....
You really dont remember any of your arguments. I remember mine and those changes are being made.

I love my Cards and i am glad competent men made the changes i suggested.

What has your response been to me saying the offense needed an overhaul and klenakis needed to be fired? Lol
You are hillarious....
You really dont remember any of your arguments. I remember mine and those changes are being made.

I love my Cards and i am glad competent men made the changes i suggested.
So then - you can't find one.

Ok - lol.

Excellent post! 100% in agreement on everything said here. I for one, think the read-option led to both our early season extreme success, but our mid to late season failure. What I mean here is that the read-option leads to a player (LJ) making the decision on who gets the ball versus the head coach/offensive coordinator. This read-option led to LJ constantly taking it upon himself to try to turn 3-5 yards into 20+, which caused fumbles, other players getting frustrated e.g. Radcliff, Smith.

My hope for next year is that we get back to non read-option offensive formations, but I doubt we do. Even this year in downfield, between the tackle, non-read option runs we were able to pick up yards in large chunks, however, we instantly got away from it and went back to the read-option. In all honestly, our offensive line was not bad at all when it came to plays that were between the tackle runs, but as we all know, our pass blocking was horrendous.

Here's to hoping we get more firepower on the OLine. Big time targets visiting this weekend with Chandler and Bateman. Fingers crossed we land them both.

I do think that some of the delay on offensive changes is due to recruiting. I don't think we may a change before as to not harm our last few weeks until signing day. Then I could easily see a change.

And Lamar wants to play QB in the NFL. I'm thinking we should get back to the power spread / offset-I again next year.

The zone read option is awesome if you have dynamic talent at both RB and QB (like Slaton and White), but I'm not overly impressed with it on the whole.

Gimme Petrinoball!

Gimme Petrinoball!
I'm afraid Petrinoball is gone.

When we lost him to the Falcons people thought "why the Falcons?". But he was enamored with coaching Michael Vick. A duel threat QB. He wanted to see what he could do with him. Maybe he was trying to get back to his "west coast offense" roots.

Some have said CBP's dad ran this type offense, and it's what he learned as a youngster, so he knows it well, and it's what he's always wanted to do. And it sure worked GREAT when the team bought in.

But it's not the offense that earn him the title "Offensive Genius", but we have to hope it just adds to his rep.

(If LJ learns how to be a QB, share the ball, and not just be a runner, it could be)

I'm afraid Petrinoball is gone.

When we lost him to the Falcons people thought "why the Falcons?". But he was enamored with coaching Michael Vick. A duel threat QB. He wanted to see what he could do with him. Maybe he was trying to get back to his "west coast offense" roots.

Some have said CBP's dad ran this type offense, and it's what he learned as a youngster, so he knows it well, and it's what he's always wanted to do. And it sure worked GREAT when the team bought in.

But it's not the offense that earn him the title "Offensive Genius", but we have to hope it just adds to his rep.

(If LJ learns how to be a QB, share the ball, and not just be a runner, it could be)

Before Lamar can do anything, he needs a line that can protect him.

Maybe nick petrino should be a volunteer an bobby hqire a big name to help lamar and also be assistant OC.

I trust that they will address all issues and press towards a championship.

We were an offensive line away from a championship this past season.

I am about 80%- 20% on Grantham leaving. I was not sold on the defense especially against really good running teams. However, you have to have the talent to stop the run- defensive lineman.

Now, I was totally disappointed with our offense this year. It seems to me, no adjustments were made at all! The offense was bland. No trick plays, same (6) plays game-in and game-out. There were no adjustments in play-calling when you know when your line can NOT block the defensive line! Nothing to stop the rush. We kept Lamar on a 5 to 7 step drop. No screens, no quick pass, no jet sweeps, no quick screens, no draws, no reverses........................ I was just mystified on why nothing was changed offensively.
Petrino needs to get an offensive coordinator or needs to make adjustments this upcoming year big time! We need to go all out on getting offensive linemen- top recruits!

You cannot finish in the bottom 2 years in a row, in sacks allowed or told lost to sacks. That is a hint. If you miss that hint then your there yrs in a row with you qb gone and less fans in seats. With little showing up to see Kent State and Murray! Change needs to come.

You cannot finish in the bottom 2 years in a row, in sacks allowed or told lost to sacks. That is a hint. If you miss that hint then your there yrs in a row with you qb gone and less fans in seats. With little showing up to see Kent State and Murray! Change needs to come.
Be careful bpghost will show up and belittle you.
Anyone with a brain can see change needs to come.
Defense has changed and now offense needs to change.

I think nick needs to be a volunteer, and that we need a few big names to assist bobby in making us great.

I honestly believe this is the most important offseason in the history of louisville football.

Be careful bpghost will show up and belittle you.
Anyone with a brain can see change needs to come.
Defense has changed and now offense needs to change.

I think nick needs to be a volunteer, and that we need a few big names to assist bobby in making us great.

I honestly believe this is the most important offseason in the history of louisville football.

They are important every yr, but I agree with you the spotlight is really bright and with BIG list of visitors-this were you have to show you can find answers with star athletes to help your Heisman winner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT