ADVERTISEMENT

Honestly; with all due respect to KSU ….. how does UK explain losing with their talent?

Four-Star Poster
Nov 28, 2002
Thank you KSU for sending yet another message to those arrogant bb fans, and it is a credit that you did it to a roster filled with next level talent.

Its not easy being a UL basketball these days, but watching UK go down so early once again, it is a nice consolation.

I can’t believe they have only won one tournament game in 4 years. I know we don’t have the right to talk about another teams misfortunes right now but is Big Blew now a has been.

Reactions: Mayoman and 2330859
Cold on the 3pt shot. They don't really have a PG with the one dude hurt, so maybe that's a big problem too. He doesn't develop a bench, so they don't have those unexpected contributions.

Really a lot of this talent is FR level and they are nowhere near their ceiling in their basketball careers. Looks like he needs generational great to get it done.

Next year is going to be pivotal for them with all the guys they have signed.

• Wow
Reactions: Mayoman
An abundance of talent, yet, nothing.

Remember this when praising Payne.

Coaching matters.

Reactions: BPGhost
UK can't win the NCAA tournament...they can't win the SEC tournament...they can't even win the SEC regular season. And guess what......it's about to get harder. HERE COMES TEXAS and OKLAHOMA. 🤣😂😅🤣😂🙂
Alabama has really been "killing" it this year.

• Haha
Sorry, I cannot buy into the “freshman excuse”; this UK roster returned the 2022 POY + Toppin, and some talented transfers just like everyone else. Cal has used the O&D freshman since he has been at UK, so that is insufficient to explain this 2023 season. They were ranked #4 preseason for a reason, as they have an abundance of talent …… they definitely under-performed and their fans know it better than anyone.

The SEC have discovered basketball and are hiring the coaches who are simply better than Calipari.

There is new math that will be alien to the UK model (the same model used by KU, Duke and UNC for the record)...landing McDonald's AAs en masse might not be the path forward in the Portal era. Calipari tactically lamented the Grad Transfer rule when it first came around because it served the purpose of: 1. smearing Pitino, and 2. giving cover to his buddy Bruiser Flint at LaSalle when we picked up Damion Lee. Pitino was an early adopter out of necessity...Calipari came around to it.

This isn't going to be well received here or over in Lexington, but their downfall was less having the wrong template--Tshiebwe, Toppin and Frederick sprinkled with some of the McD's talent they had--was the right recipe for current Tourney success. But it was less Calipari than the timing of injuries to their point guards.

Sorry, I cannot buy into the “freshman excuse”; this UK roster returned the 2022 POY + Toppin, and some talented transfers just like everyone else. Cal has used the O&D freshman since he has been at UK, so that is insufficient to explain this 2023 season. They were ranked #4 preseason for a reason, as they have an abundance of talent …… they definitely under-performed and their fans know it better than anyone.

The SEC have discovered basketball and are hiring the coaches who are simply better than Calipari.
The FR "excuse" will remain "part" of their problem because of his requirement of giving multiple FR heavy minutes regardless of results to the detriment of roster development. This impacts his ability to develop role players off the bench so they are stuck with little to no depth. This year it was Wallace and Livingston. Every year it's at least one if not many more. It was more effective early in his era @ UK because he was that original OAD landing spot and was always getting the top guys. But now that top end talent is spreading just enough to keep the best from always choosing UK.

Go no further than chief UK apologist Matt Jones for at least as close as one can get to an official explanation for UK's demise ........... specifically its Calipari. I can only listen to so much of Jones, so perhaps I needed to stay tuned for even more of his pontification in order to hear him state unequivocally that Calipari must be replaced; however the word "unacceptable" was repeatedly assigned to his performance.

Jones stopped one of his co-hosts from dropping a rumor on his show, as to "why next year will NOT be any better", but I suspect some of the optimism of next year may not be there after all ................. Jones knew what his co-host was going to report, so his interruption must have some validity, as well as some unwelcomed news.

For those wondering why a UL fan like myself has concern with anything related to UK; simple, they remain our bitter in-state rival and most of our fanbase will always judge ourselves in relation to UK. I wish it were not the case, but every UL fan that I have seen in the last 48 hours had a smile on their face, and comment about how our missing the tournament is a little easier to accept given UK being upset once again.

This is another obstacle when surfing those highly touted FR waters. Their #1 goal is getting to the NBA as quickly as possible. They can shift gears on you without notice, like the none and done Sharpe did to them last year. Maybe Bradshaw is going to the G league. Or maybe it's something else. Could be anything when you are relying on that T25 rated player.

There is new math that will be alien to the UK model (the same model used by KU, Duke and UNC for the record)...landing McDonald's AAs en masse might not be the path forward in the Portal era. Calipari tactically lamented the Grad Transfer rule when it first came around because it served the purpose of: 1. smearing Pitino, and 2. giving cover to his buddy Bruiser Flint at LaSalle when we picked up Damion Lee. Pitino was an early adopter out of necessity...Calipari came around to it.

This isn't going to be well received here or over in Lexington, but their downfall was less having the wrong template--Tshiebwe, Toppin and Frederick sprinkled with some of the McD's talent they had--was the right recipe for current Tourney success. But it was less Calipari than the timing of injuries to their point guards.
Sweaty cow’s offense is a complete dinosaur - he’s still trying to run the same predominantly midrange jumper / floater / dominant big man with his back to the basket. It just can’t win against today’s stretch the floor and shoot 3’s from 4 if not 5 spots.

Just take a close look at the stats from yesterday if you have any doubt.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT